• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight - SEIREN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I read the tag line and the saw the picture and thought this was a yuri series. Then I read the fine print.

Apparently this is a spiritual successor to Amagami SS? I think that series received a lot of criticism for the short arcs and changes from the game, but I liked it.

Childhood friend is a year younger than the protagonist? That's cheating!
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
"Pure love stories between innocent and lovely girls"

Eh.. I liked Amagami, but depending on how far they take the pure and innocent crap for this, it could be pretty frustrating. Amagami wasn't very innocent. They actually had some sexy moments and relationship development. I hope this doesn't skip that to maintain some asinine concept of purity and innocence and should never actually exist.
eely225

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Man, this sounds gross. How pure and innocent can these love stories be when all these girls are falling for the same guy simultaneously? Maybe they're innocent, but he seems like a creep.

And [i]of course
the protagonist is a self-insert dreamy otaku.

I'm not surprised; I'm just disappointed.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
eely225 wrote:
How pure and innocent can these love stories be when all these girls are falling for the same guy simultaneously? Maybe [i]they're innocent, but he seems like a creep.

Each arc is self-contained, and takes place in its own alternate universe. It's not like they all fall in love with him at once.
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Being a big amagami fan I'm quite looking forward to this.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
_Quasar_ wrote:

Although this is my most anticipated show of the coming season, I can't shake the feeling that they're trying way too hard to appeal to existing Amagami fans (to the point where the childhood friend character is the younger brother of one of the Amagami heroines). If given the choice, I'd rather the show stand on its own merits.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
_Quasar_ wrote:

Although this is my most anticipated show of the coming season, I can't shake the feeling that they're trying way too hard to appeal to existing Amagami fans (to the point where the childhood friend character is the younger brother of one of the Amagami heroines). If given the choice, I'd rather the show stand on its own merits.

Oh, wow, yeah, totally missed that. That is a bit much. I agree with you. I'm an Amagami fan, and I get the feeling that most of the hype(what little of it there is) for this show is from fans like me. But I don't really want them to go that direction. I would've watched this even without the connections it has. I don't really need that. I just like this kind of dating sim show. (though as my first comment mentions, I really hope they don't take the pure and innocent thing too seriously. I like my characters to be generally human, with the flaws and needs that that encompasses)
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:13 am Reply with quote
eely225 wrote:
Man, this sounds gross. How pure and innocent can these love stories be when all these girls are falling for the same guy simultaneously? Maybe they're innocent, but he seems like a creep.

And [i]of course
the protagonist is a self-insert dreamy otaku.

I'm not surprised; I'm just disappointed.

This is not gross because its was set in different plot route, meaning all potential girlfriend characters are not in love with male protagonist at the same time. Amagami pretty much dont have any harem focused plot and Seiren is pretty much following Amagami style.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
This is not gross because its was set in different plot route, meaning all potential girlfriend characters are not in love with male protagonist at the same time. Amagami pretty much dont have any harem focused plot and Seiren is pretty much following Amagami style.

OK.

1: "This is gross" is -- ultimately -- a personal reflection; grossness is in the eye of the beholder.
BUT
2: a denial of a claim functions as the denial of the claim actually made, and [see above] the claim actually made is a subjective one. Which means the denial is a denial of the claimant's subjective experience. If person A makes the subjective claim X [this is gross -> I think this is gross], and person B makes the response "not-X" [this is not gross -> you do not think this is gross]...

Presumably you don't want to say this. I hope you don't want to say this. If you want to express your personal experience of its being not-gross, you can't do that by denying the original [implicitly subjective] claim made, you need to do it by using different words. Something like, "I think it's not gross at all"; mark out that the subjectivity is your own.

[the meaning of the same words differ depending on what's gone before, and the same thought has to be expressed differently depending on context.]
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Hikarunu wrote:

OK.

1: "This is gross" is -- ultimately -- a personal reflection; grossness is in the eye of the beholder.
BUT
2: a denial of a claim functions as the denial of the claim actually made, and [see above] the claim actually made is a subjective one. Which means the denial is a denial of the claimant's subjective experience. If person A makes the subjective claim X [this is gross -> I think this is gross], and person B makes the response "not-X" [this is not gross -> you do not think this is gross]...

Presumably you don't want to say this. I hope you don't want to say this. If you want to express your personal experience of its being not-gross, you can't do that by denying the original [implicitly subjective] claim made, you need to do it by using different words. Something like, "I think it's not gross at all"; mark out that the subjectivity is your own.

[the meaning of the same words differ depending on what's gone before, and the same thought has to be expressed differently depending on context.]

tl:dr pls
casualfan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Looks to have nice art and animation. The girls look cute, too. Look forward to this.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:57 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:

OK.

BUT

What is this? Mathematics? Anyway I'm still with my opinion. This is not gross. It is a normal love not sibling love nor male-male/female-female love. Gross is something like unusual thing you ever find.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
Misleading headline, I also thought this was yuri...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1