• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Fantasy XV Game's Physical Shipments, Digital Sales Exceed 6 Million Copies

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Need to check to see if the reviews were good. I haven't had a chance to watch any playthroughs though. But that's great numbers.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Didn't they say before that they need the game to sell 10 million or something? Looks like they are well on their way to that number.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Need to check to see if the reviews were good. I haven't had a chance to watch any playthroughs though. But that's great numbers.

My understanding from people who come and talk to me at work about nerdy things at my nerdy job that sells nerdy merchandise is that the game is fun to play and pretty to look at, but the plot is confusing if you don't watch the recent Kingsglaive movie. Apparently important events happen in the movie that the game is reliant on without them taking place in the game at all, yet characters reference the events and assume you already know about them. That seems to consistently be the biggest issue people have with it.

One customer likened it to watching the Lord of the Rings movies, but missing the part where and why the Fellowship splits up and also missing the the Battle for Helm's Deep. You can figure out WHAT is going on, but it's still confusing why certain characters aren't together and you don't understand WHY things are happening.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:

Decent but keep your expectation low. You go in for the environment, monster variety and flashy (but shallow) combat. Probably best to pick it up on sale.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Glad it hit it's mark. The FF series is more than a series at this point, its a tradition and even though I don't play every FF game, it would be sad to see the game stopped being made.
r3ronaldo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Decent but keep your expectation low. You go in for the environment, monster variety and flashy (but shallow) combat. Probably best to pick it up on sale.

I completely agree with you, especially about the combat. It is an enjoyable game, but I haven't been able to get into it like I've heard a lot of people say.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:32 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

My understanding from people who come and talk to me at work about nerdy things at my nerdy job that sells nerdy merchandise is that the game is fun to play and pretty to look at, but the plot is confusing if you don't watch the recent Kingsglaive movie. Apparently important events happen in the movie that the game is reliant on without them taking place in the game at all, yet characters reference the events and assume you already know about them. That seems to consistently be the biggest issue people have with it.

One customer likened it to watching the Lord of the Rings movies, but missing the part where and why the Fellowship splits up and also missing the the Battle for Helm's Deep. You can figure out WHAT is going on, but it's still confusing why certain characters aren't together and you don't understand WHY things are happening.

The game is actually pretty self explanatory if one pays attention. I personally thought there was no need to see any other media to understand it nor did my family.
It's a great game but one of the things is the camera angles during battle. Can't always see the actual fight lol.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:15 am Reply with quote
Truly not sure how much enjoyment you will get out of just the final product without being fed the BS of a 10 year development cycle hell. A decade worth of hollow E3 and TGS clips of a story that was scrapped in the end anyway, a title change to a numbered FF, a 5 part anime, a typical SE CGI companion movie titled "Kingsglaive", a preorder demo "Duscae", a public demo "Platinum demo" and then finally a Nihon only demo called the "Judgement demo".

To SquareEnix it is absolutely too much trouble to just make a singular title anymore. All of it has to be nonsensical media and unwarranted extras, spreading thin the focus on the actual product. FF XV is an amazing adult kingdom hearts style action RPG, with a sub par pieced together story that then goes off the RE Zero rails. Its such an unreal drop off in direction, it's disturbing.

An unfinished epic project in the scope it sets out to do, I'm 111 hours in, you get maybe a 25% finished game. The map is very deceiving. Glitchers have shown that there is way more going on in the game. The engine alone tells of what a massive undertaking was planned meanwhile treewalls, fences and missing content plague the game. Other areas are just empty.

XV has fanservice that will make you grin from the music collection to the mix and nod to past Final Fantasy games. It's not enough to save it though. Its scary to think that 6 million people are going to witness this unfinished idea that was really set out to be one of the greatest games of all time. Its more like how the production of Xenogears was set up if anyone here has gone through that, you can almost pinpoint where they gave up or more like when and where they took the reins from Nomura. There are no amount of patches or DLC that is going to polish this trainwreck but I hold out hope that one day they get their shit together. After living through all that I refuse to play anything but the final product, no more of what might have been and If there is anything SE is good at it's "what might have been".
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
then goes off the RE Zero rails.

???
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
then goes off the RE Zero rails.

???
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1