• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Volume 2 Sells 36,470 to Top Overall Blu-ray Chart

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genkillua

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:24 am Reply with quote
gee now there's a big surprise

/sarcasm
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
36,740... Man, their community just keeps getting bigger...

/sarcasm2
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:31 am Reply with quote
Why the sarcasm? Confused
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
Happy to see Mappa's bottom line secured. This way they can safely create stuff they want to make and take risks.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
If we're talking about the top 2 sale wars of January 2017,
The competition between Yuri!!! On Ice and Utapri S4 is still rolling. Utapri S4 BD 1 outnumbered the 1st week BD sales of YOI, its 15K vs. 20K BD and thats a huge margin and a favorable outcome for Utapri. Utapri DVD 1 also outnumbered YOI's 1st DVD sale until the 2nd week where the total sales of YOI rise up from 35K to 50K... Utapri is now 30K+ overall sales according to Oricon. The 2nd round starts now for the press release of BD/DVD 2 as far as I could see YOI's still rolling. Since it did surprisingly good at 36K BD, I wonder if Utapri BD2 will top it again? it's like male idols vs. figure skaters
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
It's always good news when a really good show is not only popular, but that popularity is backed up in sales figures. Too many great shows have sold badly despite any 'buzz' behind them.

Sales like that also increase the likelihood of a second series, which I for one would look forward to.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
If we're talking about the top 2 sale wars of January 2017,
The competition between Yuri!!! On Ice and Utapri S4 is still rolling. Utapri S4 BD 1 outnumbered the 1st week BD sales of YOI, its 15K vs. 20K BD and thats a huge margin and a favorable outcome for Utapri. Utapri DVD 1 also outnumbered YOI's 1st DVD sale until the 2nd week where the total sales of YOI rise up from 35K to 50K... Utapri is now 30K+ overall sales according to Oricon. The 2nd round starts now for the press release of BD/DVD 2 as far as I could see YOI's still rolling. Since it did surprisingly good at 36K BD, I wonder if Utapri BD2 will top it again? it's like male idols vs. figure skaters

I think you're very confused.
Yuri on Ice v1 BD: 46, 294- first week was 35k btw( probably another 1k when this weeks full list comes out)
Yuri on Ice v1 DVD: 21, 224
Total: 67518
UtaPri v1 BD: 34, 119
UtaPri v1 DVD: 17, 670
Total: 51789
Its not even close. (BTW Yuri on Ice never had 35k total sales- that was a miscount and a mistake, Oricon corrected it. Its first week was 50k total split between 35k BDs and 15k DVDs, and its second week was 12k total) BD2 had almost the same first week as BD1 did with 51k total so a little higher. UtaPri never was even close to Yuri on Ice. The real question is if YoI can edge out Sunshine, which is unlikely but possible.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
It's always good news when a really good show is not only popular, but that popularity is backed up in sales figures. Too many great shows have sold badly despite any 'buzz' behind them..

How much of that popularity is actually on the Japanese side and not just American buzz? *COUGHkeijoCOUGH*

I'm more surprised YoI was as popular as it was here given Americans seem to not care about figure skating much. Now if a soccer show got popular hell will officially have frozen over.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Samiamiam wrote:

Yuri on Ice v1 BD: 46, 294- first week was 35k btw( probably another 1k when this weeks full list comes out)
Its not even close. (BTW Yuri on Ice never had 35k total sales- that was a miscount and a mistake, Oricon corrected it. Its first week was 50k total split between 35k BDs and 15k DVDs, and its second week was 12k total) BD2 had almost the same first week as BD1 did with 51k total so a little higher. UtaPri never was even close to Yuri on Ice. The real question is if YoI can edge out Sunshine, which is unlikely but possible.

Oh sorry I mixed up the 1st part 15K was supposedly referring to the 1st DVD volume sales but I said BD lmao my bad it was here(copy pasted): animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-05/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-december-26-january-1/.110653 ...Before the first update the total BD sale for YOI was 24K(until the January 2017 update which was raised to 35K BD volumes) but not was not 25K cr made a mistake(https://mobile.twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/817242314040954881) Oricon only raised the chart I had to compare ANN's article to CR to confirm things and they almost have the same edits.

I also did the same mistake to UtaPri S4 where I realized that I'm only counting the BD copies it's actually 28K+14K equivalent to 42K overall volumes(+ additives)
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-17/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-january-9-15/.111149
So to round up if I'm still not updated and was basing from CR and ANN's outsources the margin between YOI and UtaPri S4 1st volume sales are 40K for utapri-60K for yoi.
Thanks for correcting me omg haha
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
Samiamiam wrote:

Oh sorry I mixed up the 1st part 15K was supposedly referring to the 1st DVD volume sales but I said BD lmao my bad it was here(copy pasted): animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-05/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-december-26-january-1/.110653 ...Before the first update the total BD sale for YOI was 24K(until the January 2017 update which was raised to 35K BD volumes) but not was not 25K cr made a mistake(https://mobile.twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/817242314040954881) Oricon only raised the chart I had to compare ANN's article to CR to confirm things and they almost have the same edits.

I also did the same mistake to UtaPri S4 where I realized that I'm only counting the BD copies it's actually 28K+14K equivalent to 42K overall volumes(+ additives)
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-17/japan-animation-blu-ray-disc-ranking-january-9-15/.111149
So to round up if I'm still not updated and was basing from CR and ANN's outsources the margin between YOI and UtaPri S4 1st volume sales are 40K for utapri-60K for yoi.
Thanks for correcting me omg haha

No problem! Oricon has never done that before so it is super confusing. UtaPri did have a super good hold for its 4th season though. It's impressive! Likely the sales order will be Sunshine, YoI, and then UtaPri with comfortable margins though.
Proud2bPnoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
It's always good news when a really good show is not only popular, but that popularity is backed up in sales figures. Too many great shows have sold badly despite any 'buzz' behind them..

Ye Flip Flappers became flip floppers too bad it was good RIP.

Lord Oink wrote:

How much of that popularity is actually on the Japanese side and not just American buzz? *COUGHkeijoCOUGH*

I'm more surprised YoI was as popular as it was here given Americans seem to not care about figure skating much. Now if a soccer show got popular hell will officially have frozen over.

true, true. Figure skating wasn't buzzfeed not 'til YOI was introduced and surprise everyone's now suddenly into gay ice skating. Wasn't even popular in my country, I remembered there was this 1 figure skater who(if I rember right?) was kneeling+ begging for our government to fund him but nobody cares, poor guy. Americans were never interested in ice skating no idea who Yuzuru hanyu was nor would they give a broccoli to Joe Johnson doing JJ style on network television but lel the power of social media is fab queer ice skating anime spreads like wildfire. That Rugby and Soccer show ain't doing good in the west, I also thought that Days would appeal as much as to western fans but nah, even All Out!! never appealed to Britain.

Pretty sure it's more mysterious why the dub got so much love by Americans because it sounds like diarrhea raining down from the heavens down to the sound studio, never thought they'll hire the voice casts of Despicable Me feat.Hetalia ADR director is ofcourse Jesus Sonny Straigt no surprise there. terrible, I don't know maybe it's just me?

*was screenshot around Nov 2016 it's probly around 200k now idfk
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1