• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Weeks of Jan 1-28

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
The top and bottom of the cumulative list will probably come as a surprise to nobody. More interesting, I say, is the contest between the similar Interviews with Monster Girls and Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. I have a suspicion regarding which of these will prove to be the more popular, though the current difference between them is somewhat smaller than I would have foreseen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Not much jumped out to me from this first ranking. I am happy that Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju is at the top because it is fabulous show that deserves recognition. And to me March Comes in Like a Lion is becoming weaker with every new episode, but it remains in the top 10 of the cumulative.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Dragon Main isn't ranked higher. I suppose it could just be my bubble that is squeeing over it (and my gf and I have been loving it) so I was kind of expecting it in the top 5 somewhere. Heh, well, whatever. We'll see!

Happy to see Rakugo firmly at #1. It deserves it! Ugh, I have so many feelings about it.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this feature to come out. I was a little worried that it wouldn't be back.

I'm surprised that Gintama wasn't as competitive with Showa as I thought. Though both are two of my favorites this season.

I think we'll see more gains for Dragon Maid, Tanya and Super when the latter goes into the Universe Survival arc Saturday (Nice to see the latter here finally).

Scum's Wish isn't as high as I would like but given the material it isn't too surprising.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
The real thing to watch this season will be if Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju gets purposely downvoted again.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
What the heck happened to Classicaloid? I'm not a huge fan, but I've been watching and enjoying it and I don't recall anything that was so radically different after episode 13 to account for that dive. It even affected the cumulative rankings which generally hover around over 2-3 ranks over time.

There hasn't been much chatter in the Rakugo discussion, and some of it has been unexpectedly disappointed, so I was worried that the shine might've faded from the diamond for a lot of people. I'm happy to see that's not the case. Not sure why no one's talking about it much though.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
I am very pleased to see Rakugo and Gintama taking the top, it really makes me happy. Those 2 shows along with Little Witch Academia are among the best this season has to offer.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
I'm super curious how much of a drop off Scum's Wish not being on an easily accessible(cost-wise) platform is having on it's viewership. And their appreciation for the show overall(probably very little, but it's possible). I know a lot of people who do have Amazon Strike have been really put off by the subtitles which apparently have a black box around them... Confused
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What the heck happened to Classicaloid? I'm not a huge fan, but I've been watching and enjoying it and I don't recall anything that was so radically different after episode 13 to account for that dive. It even affected the cumulative rankings which generally hover around over 2-3 ranks over time.

There hasn't been much chatter in the Rakugo discussion, and some of it has been unexpectedly disappointed, so I was worried that the shine might've faded from the diamond for a lot of people. I'm happy to see that's not the case. Not sure why no one's talking about it much though.

Maybe it isn't a matter of Classicaloid plummeting (since it's been near the bottom during its entire run) but that it looks like it "fell" because most of the new shows appeard on top of it.

As to why it gets such low rates is anyone's guess, since I find it one of the most delightful shows of the season. I think ever since Schubert's introduction episode it found just the right type of comedy that worked for it and I find myself liking it more and more very week
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm super curious how much of a drop off Scum's Wish not being on an easily accessible(cost-wise) platform is having on it's viewership. And their appreciation for the show overall(probably very little, but it's possible). I know a lot of people who do have Amazon Strike have been really put off by the subtitles which apparently have a black box around them... Confused

I hope people are not taking their frustration with the licensee on the show. It's not fair to the show and totally ineffective to boot. Frankly even with regard to the subtitles, that is not what annoys me but rather having to manually turn it on every. damn. time. And aside from on Amazon's Roku app for some reason, the subtitles can be changed to remove the black box (the color can also be changed but that isn't an issue here).
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
^Ah, I didn't know you could turn that black outline box off. I'll have to pass that along to my friends. I'm waiting on the show personally, as I can't justify Amazon Strike at the moment and will binge it all at the end of the season, so I don't really have any first hand experience with their player other than from Kabaneri. But it does sadden me a little that I won't be able to vote weekly on the series.. Crying or Very sad
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
Rakugo at the top, as it should be
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm super curious how much of a drop off Scum's Wish not being on an easily accessible(cost-wise) platform is having on it's viewership. And their appreciation for the show overall(probably very little, but it's possible).

I am sure the show's accessibility will have some negative effect. As an example, Kabaneri had all the elements to produce a hit, but to me it was unfairly shunned by some fans.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
^And yet for several weeks, for various reasons, Kabaneri topped the cumulative rankings here, only falling for substantial reasons and not access issues/protests. Though outside the rankings, there were negative effects on the show
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Maybe it isn't a matter of Classicaloid plummeting (since it's been near the bottom during its entire run) but that it looks like it "fell" because most of the new shows appeared on top of it.

Actually, now that I look at it again, my question should have been "How the hell did it end up in 7th place on both charts the first week?" Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2