• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gudetama Helps Michael Bay's Transformers Get Lazy

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
How could Bayformers possibly get any lazier than it already is? Giant shapeshifting robots bashing each other with cliche human characters taking the spotlight. They pretty much tossed out the juicy backstories and characterization and replaced them with unrelated and poor taste gags and explosions.

Who needs the Quintesson backstory or a giant black hole ready to suck in Cybertron when we've got CYNICAL BILL O'REILLY and GAY ASIAN MAN RAPE SCENE and EMBARRASSING GETTING HIGH ON WEED?!

Modern day audience: They referenced real world people. And they got real people in their movie. That automatically makes it plausible and realistic. (imagine random teens saying that in a random Family Guy cutaway gag).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote
Well. I've never seen Japanese artwork of the Michael Bay Transformers characters before. That's...interesting. Also a really odd choice to put at a place called "Sanrio Expo."

Also, these movies continue to turn profits, and so they continue to be made. That's really all there is to it.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well. I've never seen Japanese artwork of the Michael Bay Transformers characters before. That's...interesting. Also a really odd choice to put at a place called "Sanrio Expo."

Also, these movies continue to turn profits, and so they continue to be made. That's really all there is to it.

Well said. It's like, BayFormers seems to have a cult following of its own. Critically thrashed, but has its own share of fanatics.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
They pretty much tossed out the juicy backstories

.....people actually watched/read Transformers for this!?

Topgunguy wrote:
and characterization

No they didn't.

Topgunguy wrote:
and replaced them with unrelated and poor taste gags

OH SHIT WHAT do they they now?

Topgunguy wrote:
Who needs the Quintesson backstory or a giant black hole ready to suck in Cybertron

Well that would make sense given most of the audience doesn't know what the former is and wouldn't care. And Cybertron isn't really as important in the movies as it is in the cartoons and comics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1