• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
novaliches wrote:
phantom boggie

If you can't even get the name right, I'm not convinced you watched enough to pass the slightest shred of judgment.

The rest of your list far from met our standards and was deleted. Try actually reading the opening post and the forum rules before trying again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kero_Kitty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:52 pm Reply with quote
1. Sailor Moon- My fav. Anime and my fav. Magical Girl Anime. I love the humor in the show. I can also relate to several of the characters, especially Serena, Rini and Ami. I love the fact that Sailor Moon is very independent (but dependent at the same time because of the Sailor Scouts) and has a heart full of gold. This Anime really makes a bold statement. The power of love, believing in yourself, always striving for your goals and dreams and never letting anyone bring you down. This is one of those Anime`s that will really teach you something.
2. Dragonball Z- Awesome action Anime. The battles sequences and effects are amazing! The plot can get kind of confusing. Well, for me. DBZ goes through alot of heroes and villains but it`s very entertaining and worth while.
3. Death Note- Very interesting plot...alot of twist and turns...this Anime really keeps you on the edge of your seat.
4. Peach Girl- Another good Anime that will teach you something. Follows a girl named Momo who has to deal with the everyday stresses of life...falling in love, high school, back stabbing friends and criticism.
5. Cardcaptor Sakura- I love the whole concept about the magical cards who have a mind of their own when they`re released. Great special effects.
6. Tenchi Muyo- Very nice Anime about love, friendship, space pirates and demons. I especially love the arguements between Aeka and Ryoko. One of the highlights of the Anime.
7. Pokemon- It`s not as good as it used to be but I still love it. I perfer the old seasons of Pokemon though. It was the start of a great adventure and everything was fun and simple.
8. Naruto- Very good action Anime. I love the battle sequnces. The characters are very humorous and have very bold personalities.
9. Chobits- I love this Anime because it`s about futuristic stuff like Neo computers or Persocoms, who happen to look like people. I just got into futuristic Anime like Mecha Anime and Post-Apocalyptic Anime. Chobits is actually good to start out with.
10. Yugioh- I still love Yuigoh. I love the concept of the cards that you can battle with.
Shirachi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Shirachi's Top 10:

The Twelve Kingdoms - Honestly, when I first began to watch it, I was annoyed. Yoko was such a unlikeable character that I found myself feeling the need to repeatingly bang my head against the wall. But, I'm glad that I just sucked it up and watched it till the end (expect those 'last' episodes where it just randomly cuts off, I didn't want to be disapointed). Over time, the character's become truly likeable and inspirational. If it's one thing that I love about it, it's the character development. It gets extra points for having a solid story, nice animation, and beautiful music.

Le Chevalier d'Eon - It was with great regret that I picked this title up. Maybe it was the suggestion that it held a great deal of blood and violence and was a horror (or so I was told), but being a history buff, the temptation was too great to resist anymore. Anyone who knows me will know that I'll watch anything with enough real life history in it (*cough* real reason why I watched the Full Metal Alchemist movie *cough*).

But, after watching the first DVD, I couldn't get enough of it. It's just so good. The animation, while a few hip-cups are present, is vivid and smooth; the music really enhances the mood, and the characters are realistic. Not just likeable, realistic. They all have their own motives, and after it hits volume 4, it's hard to tell who actually is good and bad anymore. I like anime where there is no solid good or evil, where everyone is doing what they believe is right.

Scrapped Princess - Like Chevalier, it doesn't really show a true good or evil (which is especially present in the final volume). You understand why the people who are trying to kill Pacifica do what they do, they're doing what they think is right and save the world. Yet, you understand the motives of Shannon and Raquel as well, why Leo questions chivarly, and why the Obstinate Arrow do what they do.

While I wished it could have been as detailed as the novels (thank you PopFiction!), it can't have everything I supose.

Kaleido Star - It's not deep or dark, it's just plain fun. It's a nice break from the usual depressing stuff I wallow in. Pure fluff is good every now and then, and it delivers without going overdose.

Story of Saiunkoku - My guilty pleasure. I'm shallow enough to like something for having pretty boys alone (and no, I don't like Yaoi or Shounen-Ai), and that was my original reason for watching it. But, it's suprising decent. Clean animation, nice music, and overall likeable characters it's a nice take from my usual stuff (like Kaleido Star).

---

While that wasn't 10, they are my favorites.
AstralSaudade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
I don't have a list of worst anime, as I haven't seen too many anime shows in a while, and I think that even the animes I'm not too fond of do have their own good points, or it's what I hate about them that makes others like them.

But once I start yammering on about my favorite anime, you can't stop me for a long, long time. Anime hyper My top three are in order.

1. Fullmetal Alchemist
The very anime that got me into many more after. I watched this out of curiosity when they aired the English dub (which, I might add, was very well-done and one of the best dubs I have ever heard) on Animax where I live, after hearing so much about it from a lot of people.

And ever since the first episode, I've been hooked. FMA is an anime that has a little bit of everything - from action to drama, some lightheartedness here, and then some hardcore scene there. Not only that, there are many historical references (especially in the movie), and the process of their alchemy (the effects achieve their desired effects, whether to intimidate the viewer or to enthrall) is detailed, with reasons for almost everything, unlike random wand-waving magic or things poofing out of nowhere. The characters are well-rounded and have background stories and their own flaws - even the prodigy and title character Edward Elric suffers from a bit of a Napoleon complex and has a short temper. And yet you can't help but marvel at how they work together, how their relationships rise and fall, how they come together in their world in a multilayered plot that will keep you guessing what happens next. You HAVE to know what happens next. And you wouldn't believe that people in the past used to practice alchemy. Though not of this sort. Plus, the soundtrack is beautiful and captures the mood of every passing scene. I suggest Bratja - it was wise for them to choose a children's choir, and the lyrics describe the plight of the Elric brothers in less than five minutes.

2. Gun X Sword
Like FMA, GXS will always keep you guessing what happens next, especially about the whereabouts of the main antagonist of the story, whom the protagonists are constantly hunting down. And this is like, about only half as long as FMA, so that's a lot of fast-paced action in it. It starts off pretty slow, but as the plot unfolds and the histories of characters are revealed, that's when everything speeds up to the point that you wouldn't want to blink, lest you miss something. What got me the most about this particular anime was how imperfect the characters were (especially the main hero), and how they are at their best when they're all together. The drama also got me hooked and the character development...you can really watch them develop and interact with new characters. And even though there are many serious moments, comedy crops up every now and then to lighten the mood, usually in the form of poking fun at the characters and the quirks that make them so memorable. The concepts of technology and armors (read: mechas) are also very interesting and enrich the plot, and they must really be something because I'm not usually a sci-fi kind of person. The action sequences are a must to watch, most definitely the armor battle scenes, as they'll keep you on the edge of your seat. Even the opening theme, an instrumental with some chanting, drums and sound effects, will leave you wanting more (or in this case, playing the theme over and over on your player). The music ranges from carefree, Western beats and acoustic guitar riffs to dripping with utter suspense.

3. Ouran High School Host Club
As seen from my first two picks, I'm more into shounen anime. But Ouran stands out from many shoujo anime I have seen, not only because of its catchy theme songs and orchestral music tracks, but also because of its hilarious yet heartwarming story. All the hosts are different in their own ways, including Haruhi, and they warm up to you differently and you just end up liking them all - if not for their strong points, their weak points. Though the focus of the plot is on the Host Club, other students regularly pop in (and not just the extra clients) to add some color and keep the story from overly centering on the Host Club. The series also explores life at an (elite) Japanese academy and introduces the viewer to such and how it differs from other schools. The voice actors and actresses were cast very well, from Maaya Sakamoto as Haruhi Fujioka to Miyano Mamoru as Tamaki Suoh, the king. Though the anime is generally comedic and tends to poke fun at overly rich kids ("I'm not allowed to drink instant coffee!") and other related themes, the dramatic bits will surely make your heart melt. I for one would want a second season, and I know that Funimation will do a good job dubbing Ouran, which will be released in English next year, for those who are interested.

4. Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE
The plot may seem repetitive at first - go into new world, grab Sakura's feather from there, and then leave for the next one - but actually, each escapade the Tsubasa gang embark on is just a little bit different from the last. Though I was quite disappointed with how it ended, I liked the progress of the series, how they had to claim each of Sakura's memories, and it was also cute how Sakura, the damsel in distress, always wants to help in any way she can instead of leaving it all to Syaoran, Fai, Kurogane and Mokona. Any fan of CLAMP's work will love Tsubasa, as it is like a huge crossover of almost every story CLAMP has released, and it's always interesting to see what kind of roles each crossover character will take in each world the gang gets hurled into. And even if you aren't too fond of the story or the anime itself, at least watch it for the beautiful soundtrack by the great composer Kajiura Yuki and the stunning vocals.

5. Blood+
Contrary to what the title may make you think, Blood+ is not just all about gore and battles...but there are a lot of them, and they'll keep you guessing what happens next and/or who will prevail. And there are also battles of the heart and the mind - especially as the main character struggles to fulfill her destiny and at the same time attempt to live a normal life as much as possible. In fact, there are many scenes wherein the viewer may be unsure as to whether which side is good and which side is bad. It's no typical good-versus-evil war, not in Blood+. Plus, there's probably more drama and romance than horror that'll make you sympathize with the characters, whether they be human or otherwise. Speaking of otherwise, though there are fantastic elements like the existence of chiropterans (creatures that are human in form and feed on human blood, like vampires), they are explained through science and technology, and they have their own history. Mark Mancina and Hans Zimmer collaborate to create a heart-stopping soundtrack befitting a heart-stopping anime. Of course, it does have its slower, more melancholic scenes, but they're just as interesting as the bloody ones.

6. Fate/Stay Night
Breathtaking effects, a mesmerizing soundtrack, and lovable characters who are much more than just Masters and Servants in the Holy Grail War, that's what FSN is made of. I haven't finished the series yet, but I like it so far. The story is divided evenly into those quiet scenes where most of the character development takes place, and then those fast-paced action scenes. What I love the most are the battles between the powerful Servants and how their Masters intervene and try to affect the battle in some way (most notably Shirou) and the relationships between Master and Servant. My favorite action scene was Archer's battle with Berserker, and that's all I'll say about it lest I spoil. The plot is unpredictable, and you never know who'll strike next...or who'll be struck out from the Holy Grail War. Oh, and add the mythology and history references, which just add flavor to this already beautiful anime. Although there are many things present in the game and the novels that were never mentioned in the anime, at least so far the plot doesn't seem to be too affected by that.

...oops, that's all for now. Anime hyper I might add more later on.
amannin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote
10 Favorite:
(in no particular order)

1. Full Metal Alchemist
-- one the first stories/animes to ever truly move me. This series is great on every level imaginable and should be watched by everyone, anime fan or not.

2. Berserk -- This is truly a masterpiece. Just read the reviews/synopsis on this website. If i ever had to choose a top 1, this would probably be it (though, I would hate to choose only 1)

3. Trigun -- Vash and Wolfwood are some of my favorite anime characters ever. This is another must have series! If you have not seen this, please do yourself a favor and watch it.

4. FLCL (fooley cooley, aka Furi Curi) -- first time through this 6 episode series, I was too confused about it to know if I liked it or not. Second time through, I LOVED IT! Third time through, I loved it! It's weirdness might be too much of a shock at first, but then it grows on you, FAST.

5. Kurau: Phantom Memory -- a very moving and heartfelt series. Nothing is ever forced or feels melodramatic. It really is a great story that continues to grow on you throughout the series. At first I was sort of "meh" about the whole thing, but it kept growing on me until the point of utter admiration.

6. HunterXHunter
-- GAN! oh how I love this series. You need to watch all the OVAs though if you want to have a satisfactory ending, else the series just stops abruptly. This is a very fun series to watch, and if you don't love Gan (or at least one of the characters) then something is seriously wrong with you.

7. Claymore Only 2 more episodes until the end Sad This is by far one of the most awesomely fast paced animes I have ever had the privilege of watching. This series doesn't waste time, in fact, you are gonna feel that 22min go by in a blink of an eye. This series is awesome on so many levels and is a must watch for anyone.

8. Twelve Kingdoms -- admitenly I have not seen the whole series, in fact, I am just now watching it, but I can easily see it develop into one of my top favorites. If for whatever reason I change my mind (which I seriously doubt), then I'll come back and edit my post. Otherwise, read other people's post about this series...

9. Wolf's Rain -- Another great series. The wolf symbolizes so much in any culture, that to tie them into any plot driven story, would surely deliver results, much as does this series. It's a great story and a must see.

10. My Hime -- never have i seen an anime so close to Shakespeare (since I don't want this to be a spoiler, I'm not going to mention which one--unless someone, for whatever reason, really wants to know) not that it sounds anything like a Shakespearian play, but the kind of twist it takes does.

Very Honorable Mentions: Death Note, Cowboy Bebop, Elfen Lied, Seto no Hanayome, Gundam Seed, Evangelion, Eureka Seven, Blood+

5 Least Favorite:
(in no particular order)

1. Red Garden -- I could only make it through 1.5 episodes before being completely turned off and never returning to watch more. The character designs are atrocious, especially their noses *cringe* The story seems way too similar to Gantz (which was pretty good, not great, but much better than this) and the characters were just too annoying. I think the washed up story and character archetypes and hideous character designs really hurt this series more than anything. Who knows though, maybe it had a good plot >_>

2. Trinity Blood -- you would think ripping off (and I'm mean completely ripping off) two great series like Trigun and Hellsing, you would get something unoriginal, yet decent -- No, not in this case. The series isn't horrible, but I still can't get over how much they ripped off two of my favorites, and how lacking and unoriginal the content and execution are. Some may disagree with me on this, but then again, they likely haven't seen Trigun or Hellsing, or at least adored them as much as I did. BUT please don't get me wrong, this series is at least watchable, and I actually really really like the OST.

3. Darker than Black -- a great idea gone terribly wrong. I got about 12 episodes into it, maybe 16 (memory seems a little hazy) and there was simply no story. Development and story arcs jumped around so much (about every few episodes) that it destroys itself and you end up never knowing much about the characters or ever liking any of them. Granted there is an underlying story/plot to the whole thing, but it never gets developed, at least not enough to care Anime hyper

4. GunXSword -- another poorly executed rehash of mixed, unbelievably out of place, elements. I got about 6 episodes into it before giving up on it. I heard the series gets better as you get further into it, but I just couldn't take it any more. This series is probably more enjoyable for the people who haven't seen the originals (the master pieces) that this series tries to borrow from.

(i'm sure there are more series I absolutely did not like, but since I don't hang onto those series, I tend to forget about them. So i'll leave it at these 4 for now)
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Okay, my fav 10 was it:

Raxephon
I love introverted shows where the characters shapes the story instead of the other way around. And it has one of the best love storys ever.

Hajime no Ippo
The most realistic shonen fighting series ever. Great characters and awesome humor also adds for a good show.

Tenchi Muyo
A sci-fi fantasy harem anime with multilayered charactes (most of them anyway), likeable and POWERFULL main-character and tons of heart. sign me in.

Suzumiya Haruhi
To me, this is the best anime parody who's not yelling PARODY. two of the greatest leads ever (I like cynic humor and Haruhi is just awesome).

Bleach
One of the most memorable casts ever with cool powers, neat personalities and belivable issues.

Hellsing ultimate
The perfect marriage betwen hardcore action and gothic vampire tales.

Black lagoon
The ultimate anime incarantion of everything that is good in western action flicks.

Mai Hime
Mainly the same as Bleach. Just add that it got one of animes greatest heroines.

Vandread
The first anime to bring tears to my eyes Anime cry

Urusei yatsura
The greatest work of Rumiko Takahashi. No perv has yet managed to toople Moroboshi Ataru as "the most lecherous man in the universe".

5 worst:

Hanaukyo maid: Takes everything that might embarras you about watching harem shows and..... um... uses them. Nothing else. Crappy art.

Aria: just 10 minutes.. then.. 2nd episode will be... finnished.... ZZzzzz.

Final fantasy unlimited: makes no sense, you couldn't care less about the characters and generic art. I would rather play chees than watch it.

umm.... can't honestly come up with more. I return when i do^^.
wtfiku

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
My 6 favorite:

Lucky Star: Beside being so kawaii........, this anime is so relaxing and each episode is no related, which make it easy to enjoy. I found myself watched this series repeated even it came out like few months ago. They talked about stuff which i myself can relate to and probably chuckle because it is so true. Alot of people dislike this anime but i found it fun to watch.

The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi: I watch this anime because of the curiousity about the fuss causing by this anime. And in fact, it is a great anime. Totally enjoyable. I got thrown off by the first episode which i was thinking WTF IZ GOIN ON LOL? and then the random episodes with no chronological order ( i tried to see the end to label them in the right order but my friend told me that is how i should watch the episodes. lol ). But overall, it is a great anime with great animation, great plot especially when Haruhi played the guitar, it is very realistic.

Monster: One of the best anime out there. Very real psychological effect along with great pacing on the anime. It is almost like watching House, CSI, Nip/Tuck all lump together in this anime and not so cheesy. Most of the characters are very likeable no matter who you are rooting for. ( I found myself rooting for Johan >_>)

Higurashi no Naku Koroni: This anime is all about the killer loli. It gets very disturbing especially during Shion arc but overall it is a great thrill to see this anime even if you have nightmare at night time.

Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal: I usually consider myself as a very cold hearted person. But i found my eyes a little wet after watching this movie. It is such a sad story and the music is just mesmerizing. There is not much of killing as you expect from Ruroni Kenshin. It is a very sad movie but it is a master piece. A master piece....

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Great series with a very twisted end. Most of the characters are likable and awesome in what they do especially Major Motoko Kusanagi. Big boobs with bad ass fighting skill.

Well, that is my six favorite animes ( i cant come up with 10. most animes these days are so unoriginal and the plot is just totally predictable). Honorable mentions are Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon, Elfen Lied, Honey and Clover. If you count these as my favorite, I probably do have 10 favorite animes.

Worst Anime

Naruto: Weak animation, tons of fillers. Boring english dub.

Gantz: Choppy animations, horrible story line ( they try to make with a sex scene but it fails horribly )

Pokemon, Yugioh, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT: They are really horrible and drag on like forever.

Blood+ : The characters are annoying as hell and so indecisive. Weak plots. I watch this anime and almost feel like a chore.

Bleach ( the Bento Arc ): Has nothing to do with the manga and these vampires are just boring. Who comes up with this filler needs to be shot twice....

I try not to remember bad animes but those animes are so bad, it sticks out like a bad zit on your face.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
My top 10 (no real order):

1. Elfen Lied- A great anime (atleast to me) that made me cry. Sad in the way that it showed how humans really would treat someone like that. The only thing I really didn't like was the ending. It made me want more.

2. Eureka 7- One of my most favorite ever. A boy who loves a girl, even after he spoiler[finds out she is a coralian and she grows wings.]

3. Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya- Funny, and it made me think. Also, any series that I pay close to $200 on just for 14 epi. must be pretty good. Yes, I bought and pre-ordered all the limited edition release. Can't wait for 4th vol. and hopefully secod season gets released in US.

4. FLCL- Just plain awesome. Its as simple as that. Good animation, odd yet interesting story. And for only 6 episodes, does a good job of telling a story.

5. Full Metal Panic- Since I like all the seasons, I will just put it in this one. Funny, good animation, and good at being serious.

6. Bleach- Just one of those things you don't expect to like a lot, and it turns out you enjoy it quite a bit. At least until [AS] decides to replace it with Death Note.

7. Naruto- I don't care what you say, it is just a good show. Though it would be better if they showed it like 2 times a week and replaced Bo BoBo.

8. GItS:SAC - Great story, good action. What else is there to add?

9. Cowboy Bebop- First saw it when I was 10. Ever since then, I loved it. Spike is awesome too. Though I did cry during the episode "Speak Like a Child". The way Faye spoiler[learns about her past and still doesnt remember would be hard to deal with].

10. Noein- Great story, if you are lucky enough to be able to understand it. Good animation, though it does stray a little from the typical anime style. Not to much just a little in the character art.

Other great ones I didn't list: Blood+, Yu Yu Hakusho, .hack//, When They Cry, Van Dread, Full Metal Alchemist, Serial Experiments Lain, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Basilisk, Samurai 7, Gunslinger Girl (new season being made), The Gokusen, Nejima.

5 Least Fav. :

1. Virus Buster Serge- Didn't know what to expect. I got 2 episodes in, well maybe 1.5. I think I slept through the second epi. Not sure, my dream suck so much that it reminded me of the show. Bad animation, power ranger like characters. And sucky story.

2. Mirage of Blaze- Didn't make it 5 min. in before I was asleep. Probably should give it a second chance, but I just don't feel like it .

3. PokeMon- Games are alright, but the show was way to boring. Basically the same each episode. Ash finds pokemon. pokemon fights Ash's pokemon. Pikachu gets capture. Pikachu escapes. and Team Rocket goes "team rockets blasting off again." Just plain annoying.

4. Yu Gi Oh- Horrible Voice overs. Stupid idea for a show. But card game is alright if you play with a real person. And the censored the anime to much. What I remeber of the manga was different. Yugi killing a couple of people. Even if he was possessed by the Pharaoh.

5. Bo BoBo and One Piece - I put these together because I hated them both about the same. Horrible voice acting. Stupid and annoying characters. Everything I hate.

Thats all I can think of. There really aren't many i hate.
Shiraishi-san

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:10 pm Reply with quote
My top ten favourite anime:

10. Mahō Sensei Negima!
The story is great up until episode 20+. The characters are also slightly butchered from the manga. Other than that, this was quite a solid title. The second series (remake), however, is another story.....

9. Lucky Star
Pure moe awesomeness and one of the best Slice of Life comedies I've ever seen. While the show's realism made it such an awesome series in my eyes, it's not exactly the kind of show that I'm used to. Chances are, this series will go nowhere but up on my list as I watch more series and re-watch some of the old ones.

8. Fate/stay night
My opinion on the anime was largely affected by the game. While they seemed to leave out a lot of key components in the anime, it was still a solid title. Though I think if I had a choice, I would pick the visual novel over it.

7. Code GEASS
Lelouch is insane. IMO this was basically a mecha version of Death Note. While it was very good, the story wasn't exactly the greatest, therefore I couldn't really put it higher on my list. The plot twists were quite interesting though.

6. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu
HARUHIISM!!!!!!!! This show definitely nailed the "moe" aspect of anime and was one of the first shows that I bought on DVD (despite me hating the english dub). This show had some of the most random, yet awesome aspects in any show I've ever seen. It also got me watching many of Aya Hirano's other works.

5. Air
One of the saddest shows I've ever seen. This anime brought me to tears. The story was quite moving and while I think that there could have been more in terms of character development, the fact that the show was so emotional is enough to make me feel sorry for the character regardless.

4. Elfen Lied
Like Higurashi, but with more emphasis on the sadisms and extremes of human nature. A very dark and very sad anime that had me feeling sympathetic towards many of the characters. This anime was quite solid, though the cliffhanger ending prevents it from being any higher on my list.

3. Kannazuki no Miko
I'm a huge fan of yuri and this show definitely tops the list for me. While the mecha aspect of the show was a bit stale, the characters were amazing. Chikane and Himeko's personalities and feelings were explored in such depth that I couldn't help but be hooked onto the pairing. I probably won't be finding a better shojou-ai in a long time.

2. Higurashi no Naku koro ni
At first this show just creeped me out. But after watching half of the series I began to realize what an awesome show this was. Parinoia is constantly in the air when watching this show giving it an intense feel. The animation improved slightly with Kai, but I disgress, it was Rena's insane laugh that made me like not only her character (her personality is insane) but the show as a whole as well. This is just one of those shows where crazy killing = win.

1. Death Note
This show was amazing. Not only was the story very solid, but the characters just flat out owned. The crazy plot twists always had me second guessing and there was always a sense of suspense for me at the end of each episode. This show has secured number 1 on my list and will probably stay that way for quite a while (until I finish CLANNAD that is......)
Stinna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:09 pm Reply with quote
My turn! (and hello all, I happen to be a lurker mostly)

Favs

1 - Hellsing. Especially the "new" Ultimate series. I may be 27 and married for 5 years, but I have the biggest crush on Crispin Freemen. That voice of his is just yum. And, is it wrong to love the gore, cursing and dark art in this series as much as I do? I just don't have enough words in my vocabulary to describe how much I love the Ultimate series, especially disk 3.

2- Cowboy Bebop. My anime introductory series. This is what got me hooked to anime 7 years ago. Excellent story and character developments. And you can't loose with Steve Blum and Wendee Lee

3 - Trigun. A Johnny Bosch Favorite. Compelling story, even with the holes it has now and then.

4 - Samurai Champloo. It's just a fun series with great music, awesome characters and comedy in all the right spots.

5 - Claymore. This was an instant hit in my house with the first episode. I think we were both surprised at how good it was. Though we both screamed at the tv in the ending wrap-up. The last few episodes didn't hold the strength they should of, but all around it was a very good series.

6 - Ergo Proxy. Makes me wish I had paid more attention in high school to mythology. You don't grasp how good this series is going to be till it's over and you've seen it again and had time to think it over. It is really very well written. Liam O'Brien is awesome as Vincent in the dub.

7 - Bleach. Yay for more Johnny. Sure the series drags everything out and has just some of the worst fillers ever. But the "revelation" episodes are fantastic. Love Ichigo, nice strong character that never waivers.

8 - Witch Hunter Robin. I'm not sure how to explain why I like this one so much, I just do. Must be Crispin and Bosch again... and Kari.. and Yuri... and Wendee... lol

9 - Death Note. Just a mind job of a series. It's not often that I find a series that's so non-action/fight orientated that I can stick with. Ending could of been better, but that's just me.

10 - Wolf's Rain. Awesome english cast. Great story, just sad. I just liked this series all around.

Worst:

1 - Blood, the last vampire. I am all about a vampire story. But this one just did nothing for me. It was too short to give it any development so the viewer could understand this version of the vampire. Now, I will admit this was something I watched back in my 'anime noob days', but I just don't see myself enjoying even now that I've seen so many other anime's. I do however slightly enjoy the Blood+ series now airing on [AS]. But not enough to go out and buy later.

2 - Gantz. Right Idea, bad follow thru. I remember after sitting thru all the gore (gore is a-ok tho!) and getting to the ending .. and hopefully the point, and thinking wtf. Neither my husband nor I 'got it'. It just didn't make any sense.

3 - Blue Gender. Bored me to tears. Art was not great either. Story? Couldn't tell you what it was, even after 6 episodes.

4 - Red Garden. Um, yeah ... Gantz again?
ehrsatzmessiah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:16 am Reply with quote
I must change my top-10....
The best one so far (and I seriously doubt any series can beat this fact anytime soon) is DEATH NOTE!
OMG! that series is just pure brilliance from the beginning to the very end (although I would've preferred another kinda ending). The characters are awesome - especially the protagonist - and the atmosphere is unbelievably oppressing and ...uh... EVIL! The storyline...YEAH that's what I'm talking about! Twisted Evil

I finished watching the series last night and I really didn't sleep more than few hours 'cause of it haha. DAAAAAMMMNNN!
KIRA!!!! KAMI!!!
Crisco Disco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote
I don't think that I've watched enough of a variety of anime to determine a top 10, so instead I will do what I feel is appropriate for me: a top 4. There are the only 4 series that I watch and really think "Wow, I absolutely love this."

1] Neon Genesis Evangelion
Although certainly not unknown, I still can't see anyone trying to refute this choice. I loved every minute of the series, even when I felt like my mind had turned to soup, and it is the longest of the anime series that I actually take the time to watch all the way through on a regular basis.

2] Princess Mononoke
I first heard of this movie back in 2000, when my step-mom and I saw it in a video store and she told me she fell asleep during it. That didn't exactly made me stay away from it, but I didn't actually watch it until some years later, maybe 2003 or 2004, when my brothers and I decided to rent it. Needless to say we were pleased with our choice. My first time watching it I literally could not take my eyes off the screen. Obviously my favorite of the Miyazaki flicks, Princess Mononoke was, and remains, the most beautiful piece of film-making I have ever witnessed in my entire life, and it has an amazing story to boot.

3] Golden Boy
Ah, Golden Boy. My wild-card pick. No-one seems to know of Golden Boy except my brothers and I, who a few years ago came across this 6-episode series on the Anime Network On Demand. After watching only two episodes, we literally checked the channel everyday for weeks to make sure we would see the remaining episodes right after they came out. The single most hilarious series, and possibly most raunchy non-hentai anime (half-naked girls grinding on motorcycles, woah), I've ever seen, each episode proved to be true-to-life, humanistic, and simply put, fun.

4] FLCL
As with NGE, watching FLCL is kind-of like taking out your brain, putting it in a blender, adding some ice and a few drops of LSD, and putting it on Liquify. Headaches and trippy sequences set aside, the characters, artwork, and general storyline, although hard to follow, are all appealing and very enjoyable, and if you dig deep you can even pull out some morals and values when everything is said and done.

In terms of worst anime, besides stupid 4Kids dubs, I'd have to say the worst I've seen is Maburaho, for the stereotypical natures of the characters, the repetitiveness of the storyline, and the general stupidity involved overall.
Caine Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
I'm new to this forum and when I saw this thread I thought it was great, most "favorite anime" threads I've seen are rather dead, so I thought I'd pop my ANN forum cherry with a post here Very Happy

Well here are my top ten (not in order);

1. Fate/Stay Night. This is my favorite anime by far, the overall feeling is awesome and there are some moments which brings tears to your eyes. The action is great, the music is wonderful and the story is really great.

2. Claymore. Also one of my favorite animes, awesome battles, gripping story and clean animations. The only downside (in my opinion) is the character Raki, the main characters little "sidekick" that really annoys me, never growing up and always whining about every little thing. Oh and his voice is really, really annoying.

3. Gundam Seed. One of the first serier I ever saw, the anime that got me hocked. This series was great, the first episode was quite fast paced, from Kiras (the main character) normal life to his "Gundam" life. Nice overall story, a wee bit repetetive music but the story flows nicely forward all the time, except for a couple "this has happened" eps. But you have to love Kira when he gets in his Gundam, personality change! Smile

4. Wolf's rain. Awesome. Tear jerking. Wonderful music. Do I need to say more?

5. Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal. Loved this OVA of 4 eps, wonderful classic story. Set in the Meiji era, Japan. Beautiful really. Would elaborate but I'm afraid I might spoil it then. Embarassed

6. Death Note. Really great story and nervtickling music. Loved this intelligent series, with quick turns and clever solutions. The main character Kira is awesome in every way and L is a one of a kind genius, more people should be like them!

7. Elfen lied. This makes the list just because of the raw and sad feel of the entire series. And also because of the schizofrenic female lead character. Supernatural powers, gore, love, tragedy and the repetetive use of the word "Nyu", do I need to say more?

8. Karas. Fast paced action, cool transformation and armors. Swordplay. Touching story and an excessive amount of blood. And it most likely hast the most awesome intro ever made.

9. Strawberry panic. An all girls school, some splice of life problems and lesbian love. What is not to like? But jokes aside, the story was gripping and you got hooked fast. The characters are believable and entertaining. But the reason it made it to my top ten was that the ending was just like I wanted it to be.

10. Full metal panic (all seasons). A hilarious anime with some decent action. The season, Full metal panic fomuffo, was beyond hilarious. I actually fell to the floor, while clutching my stomach laughing so hard.

5 worst series;

5. Berserk. The reason this made it to my worst series list instead of my top ten is because of the ending. There is nothing wrong with the series until the last 3 eps. Ruined everything, totally ruined everything and it wasn't even a real ending. Really pissed me off.

4. Inuyasha. I pained myself through 157 (or so) episodes and 2 films. And it was a total waste of time, after 50 eps it gets kind of annoying when the story doesn't advance properly, but you don't feel like quitting when you've gotten started. Then with 10 eps left I simply couldn't continue.

3. Kodomo No Jikan. Only saw 1 ep of the show, but I instinctivly hated it violently because of all the censoring. Not because I actually cared about if they showed what they censored or not. Only I really hate the censoring icons popping up and the wierd noices when someone actually should have cursed or said something that's not "appropriate". Censoring ruins the whole experience of watching an anime.

2. Hayate no Gotuko. This series made no sense to me really. There was one episode with good humour otherwise it was mostly annoying and random. I simply freaked after 15 eps.

1. Serial Experiments Lain. I Hate this anime. I really really really hate it. It pissed me off unbelievably much. It feels random, you never really know what's happening, the main character is really annoying and everything is mixed up with computers. It really annoyed me, I saw 8 out of 13 episodes and I couldn't force myself to watch the rest, it felt like a waste of time. The only thing that kept me going in the beginning was that the main character seemed to be changing into something better. But to no avail, this series which was so praised by others is loathed by me. It was horrible, I hope no one ever has to go through what I did with that anime. Evil or Very Mad
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
Shiraishi-san wrote:

3. Kannazuki no Miko
I'm a huge fan of yuri and this show definitely tops the list for me. While the mecha aspect of the show was a bit stale, the characters were amazing. Chikane and Himeko's personalities and feelings were explored in such depth that I couldn't help but be hooked onto the pairing. I probably won't be finding a better shojou-ai in a long time.

I've watched 4 episodes and I still dont get whats going on... Whats with the mecha? Is the some wierd magical gundam show disguised as shounen-ai? Gahh. I think the dub is pretty good though, except that all the characters sound depressed & high, but the story just makes absolutly no sense to me.
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:43 pm Reply with quote
1. Spirited Away
I liked everything about this movie. The animation was the best I've ever seen, the music was excellent, and the story was wonderfully told. Definitely Miyazaki's best film as far as I'm concerned.

2. RahXephon
I've yet to see any other anime that matches this one for complexity of the story. Not only is it complex, but there is meaning to it. It is a touching story about the the human condition, and about how important our relationships with others are. None of the characters fit into stereotypical molds, they are all believable, and at times unpredictable. This also keeps one of the best paces for story telling in my opinion. Things move slowly at times, yet important information is still divulged frequently enough to keep the story moving.

3. Princess Mononoke
Another great Miyazaki film, second only to Spirited Away. This has another amazing story coupled with outstanding animation, considering that it was made 10 years ago. One thing I really liked about this was that there were no "good" and "evil" sides, everyone had legitimate reasons for what they did. It was more a story of how human beings and nature need to learn to cooperate for the good of all. This also featured another great score by Joe Hisaishi.

4. Trigun
This is one of the funniest animes I've seen. Both Vash and Nicholas are hilarious and loveable characters. This show seems rather simple at first, with a rather straightforward approach at storytelling, but the story is propelled by how great the characters are. Vash can be both comical, and at times a dark, and it doesn't seem strange to shift between these two extremes. His humorous disposition is one that he prefers to adopt, yet his past haunts him, and eventually catches up with him. Just as he has two sides to him, so does this anime. The first half is primarily more light-hearted with episodes that stand alone plotwise, and then the second half is when things become more serious and a central plot line emerges.

5. Vision of Escaflowne
There are few shows that fit into so many genres so well. There is practically something for everyone. There is romance, action, mechas, and fantasy elements. This is just one of those animes that tells a great story with characters that are very fun to follow through a world very different from ours, yet one that is very engaging. This anime also has a great soundtrack.

6. Howl's Moving Castle
Yes I know, another Miyazaki film. This being the newest of his work, it has very high quality animation. The characters are once again great, and you can really root for them as they struggle throughout the story. Both Sophie and Howl are running away from themselves, and their shortcomings are introduced rather early. They grow immensely throughout the film, and overcome their respective problems. Sophie conquers her self-esteem issues with her love for Howl, and Howl gains the courage to finally stop running and make a stand.

7. Last Exile
The longer it's been since I've seen this the more sentimental I become about it. The characters are just so great, and you really get to know them over time. The animation was also amazing, and CGI effects were merged with the hand-drawn parts rather seamlessly. This also had one of the best endings that I've seen in an anime, even if I didn't like it that much at first.

8. Welcome to the NHK
This is the funniest anime I've seen besides Trigun, and also the most depressing one. All of the characters are flawed, and they just can't seem to find their place in society, however, even if they have immense difficulties with relatively simple things I never really felt any anger towards them for their weaknesses. Satou is one I gave sympathy to even though it is easy to think if he just grew a little backbone his main problems would be solved.

9. Great Teacher Onizuka
I wouldn't think it possible to have an anime with 10 main characters, but GTO does that with Onizuka being the forerunner of them all. All the students in his class are given enough screen time to define their characters, and to amazing lengths too. This is just one of those animes that is really fun to watch since you know who everyone is and how they will react to a given situation. This is one of the best character driven animes I've seen, and a very funny one at that.

10. Nodame Cantabile
I feel this anime might not be as strong as some of the others as I listed in some regards, mostly in character design. Some of them seem to be a little too two dimensional at times, but the real focus of the anime was music so that didn't matter as much. It is for that focus that I found it so much fun to watch. Being a lover of classical music it was really great seeing as many other shows are riddled with sub-par Jpop songs.

I can't think of any anime that I don't really like because if I don't like them I stop watching them and just forget about them over time. I am only so tolerant, and if something doesn't meet my expectations then I won't put up with it for that much longer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 69 of 122