• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Final Fantasy Game Series Earns 3 Guinness Nods

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Oh my lord, an hour and 38 minutes of credits?? Might as well turn on a movie and watch that instead. My word, that's a lot of credits.
pikopika

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quote
Wow! There's an ending credits sequence!? I never finished an MMORPG before so that's a surprise.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
I wonder if that actually beats World of Warcraft. Blizzard adds a good 6~ hours of music with each expansion, usually broken up into discrete 1~3 minute tracks with various instrumentations and moods that fade in and out semi-randomly, depending on the situation, location and time of day.

In the capital city for the latest expansion alone there's nearly an hour's worth of different incidental music tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMwnPv1vjQc
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
Well, 2.0's credit sequence is long because they also thank the 30,000+ people who stayed subscribed through 1.0, which was the version so bad that the Square-Enix President apologized for it, and then had Bahamut kill it with fire.

Music is.... kinda weird. If just looking at OSTs, 1.0 had 104 tracks, 2.0-2.55 had 181 tracks, and just 3.0 had 58 tracks (and was longer by half an hour than the 61 tracks of 2.2-2.5). All of that combined is roughly 21 hours and 45 minutes. We are currently at 3.5, but 3.1-3.5 do not have official OSTs yet. Guinness stated 384 unique tracks, which I can easily believe - Final Fantasy has always been a music-heavy series.

Just looking at OSTs, World of Warcraft seems to have 8, about 80 minutes each, or a total of 10 hours and 40 minutes. On the other hand, I doubt the OSTs have all the incidental music. Now that the hat's in the ring, I imagine Blizzard will have a go at it if they think they have a good shot.

Biggest issue for someone passing it this year is that 4.0 is coming out, so you are looking at another 60ish tracks at least.
ragz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I was in the credit hehe...

Though FFXIV music is not on the same level as FFXI, unfortunately. It is pretty good but FFXI had one of best OST of all time.

pikopika wrote:
Wow! There's an ending credits sequence!? I never finished an MMORPG before so that's a surprise.

It's not an end, it was just conclusion of 2.0 storyline.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
Geez, 1 hour 38 minutes? And here I thought the 45 minutes that concluded Pokémon Sun and Moon seemed to go on forever.

I'm sure there must be video game series that have had more games than 87. In particular, I'm thinking Super Mario and Pac-Man, both of which have been spun off into everything under the sun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1