• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Silent Voice Anime Film's Blu-ray to Add 2 New Animated Videos

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:54 am Reply with quote
May? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i want to see this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
It's a real shame it's going to be a movie rather than a show.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
The question is, who will license and dub this?
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

Good question. Companies seem that have a hard time licensing KyoAni films. I'm still waiting for Sentai Filmworks to release Tamako Love Story, the Chunibyo film, and the two Beyond The Boundary films. And I hope Funimation gets the Free! Starting Days film as well.

Granted, those were all existing series with film sequels or retellings, so A Silent Voice may end up being a different case. Funimation has been licensing films left and right, and they've been nabbing up some KyoAni licenses old and new lately, so my money is on them.

-Marc.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
Nyren wrote:

Good question. Companies seem that have a hard time licensing KyoAni films. I'm still waiting for Sentai Filmworks to release Tamako Love Story, the Chunibyo film, and the two Beyond The Boundary films. And I hope Funimation gets the Free! Starting Days film as well.

Granted, those were all existing series with film sequels or retellings, so A Silent Voice may end up being a different case. Funimation has been licensing films left and right, and they've been nabbing up some KyoAni licenses old and new lately, so my money is on them.

-Marc.
Look at who holds the international rights to a production. With the exception of Munto (probably), Kyoto Animation doesn't have international rights to their shows. They are divided as follows in the US:

Kadokawa Shoten:
Full Metal Panic! TSR/? Fumoffu: Licensed by Kadokawa USA to Funimation
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya/Haruhi-chan Suzumiya/Nyoron Churuya-san/The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: Licensed by Funimation; rights to all initially licensed by Bandai Entertainment, but rights/translation/dub reverted back to Kadokawa following Bandai's closure
Lucky Star: Licensed by Funimation; rights to all initially licensed by Bandai Entertainment, but rights/translation/dub reverted back to Kadokawa following Bandai's closure
Nichijou: Licensed by Funimation following initial simulcast license by Crunchyroll
Hyouka: Unlicensed

TBS:
AIR: Licensed by ADV via Gantz, license moved to Funimation, may have expired now.
Kanon: Licensed by ADV via Gantz, license moved to Funimation, may have expired by now
Clannad/Clannad After Story: Licensed by Sentai Filmworks
K-On!/K-On!!/K-On! The Movie: Licensed by Sentai Filmworks, S1 previously licensed by Bandai, but rights/translation/dub returned to TBS following their closure.
Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions: S1 and S2 licensed by Sentai Filmworks; S2 additionally licensed for simulcasts by Crunchyroll
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions: Unlicensed
Tamako Market: Licensed by Sentai Filmworks
Tamako Love Story: Unlicensed
Beyond the Boundary: Licensed by Sentai Filmworks; Simulcast rights additionally licensed by Crunchyroll
Beyond the Boundary -I'll Be Here-: Unlicensed
Amagi Brilliant Park: Licensed by Sentai Filmworks

ABC Animation/ABC Asahi:
Free!: Licensed by Crunchyroll
Free! -Eternal Summer-: Licensed by Funimation; simulcast rights additionally licensed by Crunchyroll
High Speed!: Unlicensed
Myraid Colors Phantom World: Licensed by Crunchyroll
A Silent Voice: Unlicensed
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Licensed by Crunchyroll

Pony Canyon:
Sound! Euphonium: S1/S2 licensed by PonyCan USA.
Sound! Euphonium Welcome to the Kitauji High School Concert Band: Unlicensed

If you want the TBS movies, Sentai's your likely bet. ABC Animation is probably Funimation if they can get them. Funimation has been rolling out old Kadokawa licenses, so Hyouka is probably one that will come from it.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
Nyren wrote:

-Marc.
Look at who holds the international rights to a production. With the exception of Munto (probably), Kyoto Animation doesn't have international rights to their shows. They are divided as follows in the US:

Kadokawa Shoten:
Full Metal Panic! TSR/? Fumoffu: Licensed by Kadokawa USA to Funimation
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya/Haruhi-chan Suzumiya/Nyoron Churuya-san/The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: Licensed by Funimation; rights to all initially licensed by Bandai Entertainment, but rights/translation/dub reverted back to Kadokawa following Bandai's closure
Lucky Star: Licensed by Funimation; rights to all initially licensed by Bandai Entertainment, but rights/translation/dub reverted back to Kadokawa following Bandai's closure
Nichijou: Licensed by Funimation following initial simulcast license by Crunchyroll
Hyouka: Unlicensed

TBS:
AIR: Licensed by ADV via Gantz, license moved to Funimation, may have expired now.
Kanon: Licensed by ADV via Gantz, license moved to Funimation, may have expired by now
Clannad/Clannad After Story: Licensed by Sentai Filmworks
K-On!/K-On!!/K-On! The Movie: Licensed by Sentai Filmworks, S1 previously licensed by Bandai, but rights/translation/dub returned to TBS following their closure.
Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions: S1 and S2 licensed by Sentai Filmworks; S2 additionally licensed for simulcasts by Crunchyroll
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions: Unlicensed
Tamako Market: Licensed by Sentai Filmworks
Tamako Love Story: Unlicensed
Beyond the Boundary: Licensed by Sentai Filmworks; Simulcast rights additionally licensed by Crunchyroll
Beyond the Boundary -I'll Be Here-: Unlicensed
Amagi Brilliant Park: Licensed by Sentai Filmworks

ABC Animation/ABC Asahi:
Free!: Licensed by Crunchyroll
Free! -Eternal Summer-: Licensed by Funimation; simulcast rights additionally licensed by Crunchyroll
High Speed!: Unlicensed
Myraid Colors Phantom World: Licensed by Crunchyroll
A Silent Voice: Unlicensed
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Licensed by Crunchyroll

Pony Canyon:
Sound! Euphonium: S1/S2 licensed by PonyCan USA.
Sound! Euphonium Welcome to the Kitauji High School Concert Band: Unlicensed

If you want the TBS movies, Sentai's your likely bet. ABC Animation is probably Funimation if they can get them. Funimation has been rolling out old Kadokawa licenses, so Hyouka is probably one that will come from it.
If Funimation get it I'll be happy. This looks like it could be a great film, and no offense to Sentai, but Funimation would be the best bet for a fitting dub. Aniplex would be too, but they'd probably charge an arm and a leg for it.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
And if Funimation snagged it, it also has a greater chance of having a NA theatrical release.

-Marc.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Funimation has been rolling out old Kadokawa licenses, so Hyouka is probably one that will come from it.

Not sure where this came from. Nichijou and Gosick were licensed by Bandai Entertainment so those were license rescues. I can't recall where Funimation has picked up an old never-been-licensed Kadokawa license such as Hyouka recently.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, I'll continue to be very skeptical of that, I still don't really see much a precedent. But I would love it.

It is strange when looking at this list though, how the majority of movies remain unlicensed. I wonder if that's just coincidence, or if there is an additional underlying issue outside of the international license rights holder. Or maybe all of these companies are requiring theatrical releases, or some other unfeasible condition for license. It would seem if there is truly only one company handling international rights that they would want to make that money and only have money to lose if they don't license it out.. Confused
aiem

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
And if Funimation snagged it, it also has a greater chance of having a NA theatrical release.

-Marc.

I don't think it's going to have any theatrical release in NA considering we only have around 2 months till this gets released in BD. If ever they do, good for NA. Although I still think that it would be a bad idea in general to have a screening after the Bluray has been released in Japan.

A shame. I envy the SEA region with them getting so much stuff lately. Not to mention Mexico somehow snagged "In This Corner of the World".

In general I kinda understand the difficulty of the market here since the fanbase can be quite divided. Though I still question just how hard is it to pull off a limited screening on areas that do have considerable target audiences. If it's not a question of being hard, what is it that just turns them off?
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:
Funimation has been rolling out old Kadokawa licenses, so Hyouka is probably one that will come from it.

Not sure where this came from. Nichijou and Gosick were licensed by Bandai Entertainment so those were license rescues. I can't recall where Funimation has picked up an old never-been-licensed Kadokawa license such as Hyouka recently.

Bandai returned the license to Nichijou/Gosick without adding anything like subtitles or a dub. If you want one that wasn't licensed by a NA publisher (at the time), look at "The Mystic Archives of Dantalian," or "World's Greatest First Love" which were only streaming on NicoNico and/or Crunchyroll via Kadokawa. Funimation has been releasing these older Kadokawa catalog titles, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see Hyouka as one of them.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
Funimation has been licensing films left and right, and they've been nabbing up some KyoAni licenses old and new lately, so my money is on them.

Whether by Funimation or some other party, I like to think the license of a film this special is an inevitability. There would be violence otherwise! Or at least-passive aggression at convention panels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aiem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
And now a screening for Mexico has been announced. No date yet.

To add there's also a screening for In This Corner of the World. I just can't comprehend the situation happening right now.
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:

One month later and this guy gets rekt. Hilarious. Nice one, @ultimatemegax.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit. Thank the gods. I need this release ASAP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2