• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco to Take Full Ownership of Anime Consortium Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 am Reply with quote
i hope this doesn't affect the content already on the service, it's the UK's ONLY place to watch Dragon Ball Super
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Is anyone even shocked by this ? this was going to happen anyway, the signs where there Gundam Seed, Seed destiny, 00, wing, the Origin movies and Iron-blooded Orphans ( and that not adding DB Super and those tales anime ) it might as well have been a Namco bandai stream site.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bandai Namco Holdings reported in the press release on Thursday that as of March 2016, ACJ had 233 million yen (about US$2,056,000 by today's conversion) in sales, and an operating deficit of 1.015 billion yen (US$8,958,000). Comparatively, as of March 2015, ACJ had 8 million yen (about US$70,600) in sales, and an operating deficit of 117 million yen (US$1,033,000).

While it may look bad, whether those numbers are, will likely depend on this year's turnover. Operating on deficit to expand into a market is by the rulebook, but you're not supposed to do it for the long haul...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
the Origin movies

Which unless I'm doing wrong you can't watch despite it being advertised on the site.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:
Bandai Namco Holdings reported in the press release on Thursday that as of March 2016, ACJ had 233 million yen (about US$2,056,000 by today's conversion) in sales, and an operating deficit of 1.015 billion yen (US$8,958,000). Comparatively, as of March 2015, ACJ had 8 million yen (about US$70,600) in sales, and an operating deficit of 117 million yen (US$1,033,000).

While it may look bad, whether those numbers are, will likely depend on this year's turnover. Operating on deficit to expand into a market is by the rulebook, but you're not supposed to do it for the long haul...

It almost seems like something is going wrong. The costs are far exceeding what they bring in. They had massive 1000%+ growth in year over year sales, only to deficits go up ~800%. Don't feel like doing the algebra, but the break even on that may not be realistic for the size of the industry.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Quote:

This is true, but there's nothing to indicate they are any closer to penetrating the overseas anime market then when they first started. In observation, neither their stores or streaming platform have gained any traction, and nothing about their business model or marketing strategy would lead me to predict any improvements to that in the future. Crunchyroll just has too much of a head start and a much better understanding of the consumers. Even Funimation has essentially given up competing with them in favor of focusing and maintaining their advantage in the dub niche.
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm still hoping that Toei content remains on Daisuki with Dragon Ball Super. (Fingers crossed for Pretty Cure finally showing up).
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:46 am Reply with quote
To be fair, Daisuki sucks. I tried it when they first started out and years later: nothing improved. Nevermind the small catalogue, I never got any video to work on their site. Except for some old Gundam title I didn't care for and even then only the first couple of episodes.

Then again, I never got a video to play on the ani-expo site either and I watched those as they were released. Just through other means. I really have to wonder why the Japanese can't get streaming to simply work.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
To be fair, Daisuki sucks. I tried it when they first started out and years later: nothing improved. Nevermind the small catalogue, I never got any video to work on their site. Except for some old Gundam title I didn't care for and even then only the first couple of episodes.

Then again, I never got a video to play on the ani-expo site either and I watched those as they were released. Just through other means. I really have to wonder why the Japanese can't get streaming to simply work.

honestly it sounds like the issue is on your end not theirs, is your Flash player up to date?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1