• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Apr 29-May 5 [2017-05-11]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Frankly, I'll be surprised if Natsume and Eccentric Family ever give up the top two spots. Yes, they may be good series, but especially in the former case no one's going to still be watching who isn't a major fan.

This season is so heavy on highly-regarded and/or major-league sequels that it will be a major accomplishment for any new series to crack the Top 5 in cumulative rankings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah now that MHA has fully recovered from its weak start, it will be difficult for any non-sequel to get into the top five now. They would have to get really good really fast to break in. I think Natsume will drop in the weekly next week, but I think that is just a one-off weaker episode, so I don't expect it to change position in the cumulative.

It's nice to see Kado and Tsuki ga Kirei doing well. It's not great to see SukaSuka and Re;Creators have a bad week, though I expect Re;Creators to bounce back next week. SukaSuka's will probably go down further in the rankings next week, but probably not below where Re;Creators is now. Hopefully it can prove its mettle soon.

If One Piece fell that far on 786, things don't look good for next week, as 787 was significantly weaker.
YROSHIKU

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised Sagrada Reset is the last, unwatchable garbage.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Top ranking Spring anime according to Japanese fans this week (source: "Japanese Fans Choose the Spring 2017 Anime Worth Watching" Posted 5/7/2017 OtakuUSA/Charapedia)

20. Alice & Zoroku(ANN ranking -15 )
19. The Laughing Salesman NEW(ANN ranking -)
18. Sagrada Reset(ANN ranking -26)
17. Tsukigakirei (ANN ranking -9)
16. Rin-ne (ANN ranking -)
15. Anonymous Noise (ANN ranking -)
14. Hinako Note (ANN ranking -)
13. The Eccentric Family 2 (ANN ranking - 2)
12. Sakura Quest (ANN ranking -10)
11. Kenka Bancho Otome -Girl Beats Boys- (ANN ranking -)
10. The Royal Tutor (ANN ranking -21)
9. Boruto: Naruto Next Generations (ANN ranking -16)
8. Re:Creators (ANN ranking -6)
7. Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Flat (ANN ranking -11)
6. Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor (ANN ranking -22)
5. Star-Myu (ANN ranking -)
4. My Hero Academia (ANN ranking -5)
3. Eromanga Sensei (ANN ranking -25)
2. Natsume’s Book of Friends (ANN ranking -1)
1. Attack on Titan Season 2 (ANN ranking -4)

Like they refer in the article this is a season for sequels, of the top 10 only 4 are not sequels. Eromanga Sensei the only on top 3 and Akashic Records, Saekano and Re:Creators making on top 10.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Thu May 11, 2017 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
^
Not surprised on Eromanga-sensei being that popular. It's quickly becoming a darling of erotic fan art, and that's usually a strong correlation to broad fan popularity. I suspect that it will have a lot of doujinshi at the next Comiket.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
Not surprised on Eromanga-sensei being that popular. It's quickly becoming a darling of erotic fan art, and that's usually a strong correlation to broad fan popularity. I suspect that it will have a lot of doujinshi at the next Comiket.

Probably they will think of a 2nd season if it keeps this popular and sell well.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Eromanga and Akashic are also doing really well when it comes to source-material sales.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess Re:Creators's exposition is really starting to get to people in episode 4? Personally I felt like that was its biggest problem from the get-go. And Episode 4 didn't really pile on much more than what I was already used to... Episodes 4 and 5 were more or less my favorites of the show...

Eromanga is certainly popular on Pixiv. Like, absurdly so. Sagiri is everywhere. Not that that was unexpected. The show flaunts her pretty successfully. It'll be interesting to see how the anime does sales-wise. I'm expecting pretty good success. For what it's worth, ratings for it on CR have been fairly high numbers-wise as well, so I don't think it's entirely a Japan only phenomenon. Things like Sakura Quest squeak by 250 votes per episode barely most of the time(this is really depressing, honestly :/ ), while Eromanga pulls in like 1300.
Mojave

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Re:Creators' latest episode fell so far. I know some viewers want more action and less exposition, but the show is handling its exposition incredibly well. I loved this latest episode, especially how it utilized tone shifts throughout to keep things interesting. I thought it might fall one or two spots because of some impatient viewers, but I didn't expect it to fall 10 spots.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:
I'm surprised Re:Creators' latest episode fell so far. I know some viewers want more action and less exposition, but the show is handling its exposition incredibly well. I loved this latest episode, especially how it utilized tone shifts throughout to keep things interesting. I thought it might fall one or two spots because of some impatient viewers, but I didn't expect it to fall 10 spots.

The ranking isn't about the latest episode (5), though, but episode 4 - the one where Meteora comes back from her one day of playing an RPG and then talks a lot.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with exposition heavy show, but re:creator exposition is pretty awful imo, it tells very little and it takes a long time to do so. Almost none of the exposition is related to what's actually happening in the show, it's pretty much all exposition dumb, Meteora might as well be an omniscient narrator. The explanation for the big conflict right now was literally pulled out of thin air and the people that follow the bad guys do so for "reason" (spoiler[even after it was made clear the bad guys lied to them]).
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think it's particularly good exposition, personally. I mean, what she is ultimately saying is important if you care about the story, and using a character who in her own world was a tool for exposition, is kind of clever... but in practice, it's still just a lot of talking and it comes across as pretty dry to me(I'm also more than used to lots of exposition and don't really mind it if it is expressed in an interesting way, but I don't think re:creators is doing a great job). I'm still liking the show, but I hope it tones that down a little bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1