• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CyberAgent, Game Developer Cygames Establish Anime Fund in June

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
Hopefully they fund more creative stuff like Shingeki no Bahamut and less crappy generic stuff like Granblue.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
Pretty good news hope it works out good for them so we can get more quality anime in the future Smile
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Hopefully they fund more creative stuff like Shingeki no Bahamut and less crappy generic stuff like Granblue.

Taking into account that Granblue's netting them more money than Bahamut...
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

Of course it is when they're adding in in-game related bonuses on the bluray discs.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

Of course it is when they're adding in in-game related bonuses on the bluray discs.

I mean, the game itself is probably (more than probably tbh) netting them more than the whole of Bahamut put together.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

I mean, the game itself is probably (more than probably tbh) netting them more than the whole of Bahamut put together.

Yup, they're literally swimming in money, that's how they can afford to invest into making anime, not a bad thing though, since we got fun stuff like Bahamut out of it.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
I rather hope the inverse is true, since I think Granblue is solid and entertaining - you can speculate about its popularity all you want, but I don't even play the game and I like it. I was not particularely impressed with anything but Bahamut's visuals. Less of that please.
Kamiyan3991

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

Honestly, Bahamut is nothing special to me while Granblue has amazing visuals and it's pretty solid for a generic fantasy anime. It's probably the best A-1 Pictures' adaptation to boot.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Personally I think that Virgin Soul kinda flopped in comparison to Genesis, and I'm thoroughly enjoying Granblue in spite of the studio that's producing it. Neither VS or Granblue are fantastic but I guess the torch has been passed for me.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
to be honest i think there's a limit on how good a series adapted from a mobage can be, considering most mobage's have generic plots (granblue's basic concepts are suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper generic) and you lose a lot of the appeal by turning it into a visual-only media
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
This is nice, I dig that~. I want to see how they continue to expand and what comes of it.

harminia wrote:
to be honest i think there's a limit on how good a series adapted from a mobage can be, considering most mobage's have generic plots (granblue's basic concepts are suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper generic) and you lose a lot of the appeal by turning it into a visual-only media

I would generally agree to that, but I think the problem with the anime adaption of Granblue is it tries to be something different. It basically feels nothing like the game; they really should have taken a different direction. There's less emphasis on the entirety of the characters that drive the game, the tone is so different, etc.

I like the anime. I think it's very high quality. But it's a missed opportunity. Or should do some kind of OVA or side series to accompany it. They could the basic, serious plot with Gran as the lead and have something on the side with Djeeta and all of the hijinks and popular characters.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
If the fund can mean more original anime (specifically, harem), then good luck. However, it will probably be video/mobile-game related titles since this is a game company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1