• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shonen Jump Celebrates 50th Anniversary, App Release With International Manga Contest

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeroCrests

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I've been a faithful user of Medibang Paint Pro since last year, at least for all illustration purposes, and find their comic making tools to be pretty good as well, though I have yet to make a comic myself.

Since Jump Paint is free as well I decided to give it a try, and honestly, it feels a lot like Medibang is, but somewhat clunkier. Granted, I I've only tried the default brushes (same as Medibangs) rather than making my own, but something about it feels kind of wrong. I have yet to try out their comic tools, so that might be a different story. However, I do feel it's a good program for begginer artists, which it seems to be aimed at (though since Medibang is also free and less clunky to me I'd recomend that one instead).

As for the manga lessons included... Well, the ones by Hideaki Sorachi (Gintama) are pretty alright, really basic but decent enough for begginer artists. The ones by Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro (Toriko), however, as a disaster. I want to be nice about it, but they're abysmal, and I worry that some poor kids are going to take them to heart and go with them.

Overall, though, being a free program it works just fine, and for those interested in digital art who aren't quite sure if they want to invest in an expensive program yet I do recomend it (and recomend Medibang Paint Pro even more.) I myself plan to try entering this contest as well, even if it's just to brag to my friends about Kishimoto reading my amateur story.
hack5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
HeroCrests wrote:
I've been a faithful user of Medibang Paint Pro since last year, at least for all illustration purposes, and find their comic making tools to be pretty good as well, though I have yet to make a comic myself.

Since Jump Paint is free as well I decided to give it a try, and honestly, it feels a lot like Medibang is, but somewhat clunkier. Granted, I I've only tried the default brushes (same as Medibangs) rather than making my own, but something about it feels kind of wrong. I have yet to try out their comic tools, so that might be a different story. However, I do feel it's a good program for begginer artists, which it seems to be aimed at (though since Medibang is also free and less clunky to me I'd recomend that one instead).

As for the manga lessons included... Well, the ones by Hideaki Sorachi (Gintama) are pretty alright, really basic but decent enough for begginer artists. The ones by Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro (Toriko), however, as a disaster. I want to be nice about it, but they're abysmal, and I worry that some poor kids are going to take them to heart and go with them.

Overall, though, being a free program it works just fine, and for those interested in digital art who aren't quite sure if they want to invest in an expensive program yet I do recomend it (and recomend Medibang Paint Pro even more.) I myself plan to try entering this contest as well, even if it's just to brag to my friends about Kishimoto reading my amateur story.

Good luck,i wish i had some sort of skill to enter but unfortunately i dont,so do your best
HeroCrests

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Good luck,i wish i had some sort of skill to enter but unfortunately i dont,so do your best

Thank you! It is my first comic longer than one single page so I really doubt I'll get anything otu of it other than experience, but that's alright.

I'm a strong believer that it's never too late to gain the skills in doing something you love, so if you want to do it, go ahead! Keep improving yourself. Be critical of your own craft, but do have faith. There's a lot of garbage out there, truly, but if you have heart and strive to move fowards, you most definetly can be good at something.[/quote]
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:38 am Reply with quote
I don't see Yu-Gi-Oh! in that image.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Time for another submission! I love that I can use my phone. I've been using MediBang for a while already, though my small phone screen isn't the best. Buuuuut my Wacom Intuos3 stopped working last year, so... blegh. Galaxy Note 5 is better than nothing!
SENPAI--

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
How do you submit?
HeroCrests

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
SENPAI-- wrote:
How do you submit?

The rules are all in this page.

Basically, you create an account in Medibang, then post your work with the indicated tag.

[/url]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1