• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What's Stain's Real Problem With Heroes?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Realquick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At the core of it is the assumption that Iida's revenge is selfish - that a personal vendetta blinds him to his own social responsibility. Iida's hunting down Stain in honor of his brother, yes, but twisted the wrong way, you could also say he's fighting to protect this mental image of a perfect brother. The part Stain's missing is the whole "fighting to protect those you love" part, though.

I think that's missing the point though. Iida came in attacking stain for his own reasons and threatened to try and kill him out of anger. That itself is not heroic especially since Stain could be have been accused for all his murders and then to add to that Iida completely ignores that there was someone about to be killed by him but he puts that aside for himself. In that view he's not being heroic at all just being selfish.

That's where the contrast of deku comes in as someone who comes in thinking of not only saving iida by helping him escape but also taking notice of Native. Him and Todoroki both prioritized the lives of others before their well being.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I like the new format. Looking forward to having more contributors.

Personally I don't put Symphogear's unclaimed status on CR. I just want to know which of the production committee members need to have the stick removed from their ass so we can get Symphogear streamed.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
U coudlnt have chosen a better thumbnail lol
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Too much banter, I just skipped to the core of the matter. Razz

While we don't know what set Stain on the dark path, spoiler[in the Vigilantes manga, he is revealed to be a hero at one point. (Not sure if this is regarded as MHA canon or not.)] But Stain actually appears to be more of an Anti-Hero than a Villain, because he has a set of morals. Which we see this in his discussion with Tomura, where he comments their goals are opposite.

Stain's philosophy is regarding the purity of the title of Hero, not heroism itself. He actually looks up to All Might and respects Midoriya because they uphold the true meaning of what a hero is - selflessness and sacrifice. While the heroes he's purging are more or less just superpowered cops that is paid by the state with the title of "Hero". So in a way, Stain's logic is basically getting heroes to be Heroes again. That's why he attacked Tenya, because Tenya wanted vengeance, which isn't what a hero is. spoiler[ And why he fought Endeavor (because Endeavor only cares about being #1 than being a real hero).]

So it will be interesting what happens to Stain in the future. I wouldn't be surprised he actually returns and teaches Midoriya about the darker side of being a hero. Which gives Midoriya valuable insight into the philosophy of being a hero.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Stain is essentially a nicer Marshall Law it seems. There are occasional heroes that genuinely are such, but for the most part he sees through them as the superpowered not-so-nice-people they really are.

When the series was starting it appeared that a character like this would be the main hero, recognizing the hypocrisy of those who say they're heroes when they're not.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Stain is a hypocrite, but unlike villains like Meruem, the writer actually acknowledges him as one.
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Michelle, please do write that fanfic. I commented on CR that I would like a spinoff of the OP, if only to see Kacchan and his dragon spook Todoroki's horse all the time (and see him run off after it). Please.

I'm glad to see grown adults fangirl/boy the cinnamon rolls of MHA.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I like the new format. Looking forward to having more contributors.

Personally I don't put Symphogear's unclaimed status on CR. I just want to know which of the production committee members need to have the stick removed from their ass so we can get Symphogear streamed.

If I had to guess, the delay is probably related to the song rights and/or approved lyrics. I know sometimes that can be an issue. Of course with GX, crunchy just streamed it without translations for some or all of the new songs, but maybe they don't want to or for some reason can't do that this season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
More digestible, eh? More like already digested. This is what this format looks like to me, without taking several minutes to tweak my browser and computer settings before and after reading.

Sorry, just not worth the trouble.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Huh, that's strange, as the actual page layout didn't change at all aside from the fact that it includes Jake and Steve's names at the top.

So the article itself still looks like this to me.

Sounds like some bug or quirk got added somewhere in the change though if it's showing up all scrambled like that to you.

Is anyone else having issues with the page?
Melicans

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Someone please tell me I'm not the only person who keeps reading Stain as Stalin.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
No, the problem I have is my eyes. Smile As you can see, this format does not get along well with my work-arounds for poor vision and it never has.

I just don't see the purpose of formatting it like text messages. What does that add to the commentary? Would it detract from your experience to have it formatted like any other interview with pictures? I feel like someone thought, "Hey this is so clever to do it this way!" and refuse to give it up just because it doesn't work for a few people. Like not putting in wheelchair ramps because it would ruin the aesthetic of your architecture. :/

@ Melicans: I keep reading it as Stan. Very Happy
Realquick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Stain is a hypocrite, but unlike villains like Meruem, the writer actually acknowledges him as one.
He's not a hypocrite he's been pretty firm on how he does things.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
No, the problem I have is my eyes. Smile As you can see, this format does not get along well with my work-arounds for poor vision and it never has.

I just don't see the purpose of formatting it like text messages. What does that add to the commentary? Would it detract from your experience to have it formatted like any other interview with pictures? I feel like someone thought, "Hey this is so clever to do it this way!" and refuse to give it up just because it doesn't work for a few people. Like not putting in wheelchair ramps because it would ruin the aesthetic of your architecture. :/

@ Melicans: I keep reading it as Stan. Very Happy

Well, as far as I've seen, the format works just fine for pretty much everyone else. So your asking them to change how this whole section works because you fiddle with your browser in such a way where it shows up so bizarrely? I'm pretty sure that's on you and not ANN.
sharkjack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
Realquick wrote:
He's not a hypocrite he's been pretty firm on how he does things.

Yeah. If Stain went around calling himself a hero, he would be hypocritical, but he doesn't. If he went around insisting everyone needs to be hero like, he would be hypocritical, but he doesn't.

All he wants is for the title of hero to be a title reserved for those who put their lives on the line to do good. For the word hero not to be a job title, but a recognition of greater good.

Now, you could say that anyone who admires those types of heroes really shouldn't be going around killing people. Fair enough, but Stain doesn't value being like heroes, just heroism as it used to be defined. As twisted as his principles may appear, he stays true to them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2