• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ryu Fujisaki's Hoshin Engi Manga Gets New TV Anime With New Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:17 am Reply with quote
Soul Hunter is coming back ? O_0
bahamut623

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:17 am Reply with quote
No way! This is one of my all time favorite Jump series (which got a not so great anime). Cannot wait for this. It never seemed like a super popular series so I never would have expected a remake. Gives me hope for a Muhyo anime one day.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:42 am Reply with quote
I was actually speculating this would get an anime, it seems to be a trend with old WSJ manga. Can we please get a Kenshin Remake as well?
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
I was actually speculating this would get an anime, it seems to be a trend with old WSJ manga. Can we please get a Kenshin Remake as well?

That would be cool. Most likely they STILL wouldn't animate the Kenshin manga's final story arc, though.

Last edited by trilaan on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote
Never heard of this but I like the trend of remaking anime.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:27 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:

That would be cool. Most likely they STILL wouldn't animate the Kenshin manga's final story arc, though.

Why wouldn't they? Back then the manga was still ongoing. Pretty it would be a complete adaptation if they remade it. Gimme that Yahiko post-end arc adapted!!!

As for this, I remember reading one or two volume of this back in elementary school. Never got around to read more. Cool since I suppose it will be a complete adaptation.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:45 am Reply with quote
One thing I do remember about this show was the females in Soul Hunter were all antagonists but this was the 90s and a lot of boys back then thought girls were evil and with the whole "no girls allowed" thing Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop but you have to understand it was the times lol tho I wonder if this series would still be in the shonen category in today's world.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

I'm guessing that with the new manga chapters coming soon, a Kenshin remake is more than possible.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
It's weird to have nothing to say about this even though I have the Diskotek rerelease. Maybe...

"If you want to go around remaking anime, please do Karin."?
Or:
"If it's restricted to just.. . WSJ ... titles then I'd love to see a complete Ichijo 100%."

But re-adapting a Jump manga series that's based on an ancient Chinese story... wait a minute... this sounds familiar...

Oh. Well, just don't make it as cheap looking as Super, ok?
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Soul Hunter is coming back ? O_0

This was my reaction too.

bahamut623 wrote:
No way! This is one of my all time favorite Jump series (which got a not so great anime).

Not so great...but really, not that bad, either, having recently rewatched the whole thing. It does make me curious how this show would look in a digital, HD sort of way.

"I am not a hippo!" (Poor Xibu...)
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote
Yay! I can't wait to see! I had a low key crush on the lead when I was younger. And I only watched the first few episodes when I rented the DVD from blockbuster. The opening song is still fire btw Anime hyper

Also: I know a certain artist on Tumblr/dA who'd be happy to hear this news *cough*Kazehime*cough* lol
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
Well that was unexpected. The manga changes quite a bit over the story to the point where the initial portion feel completely at odd with the later one, wonder if they'll do any adaptation to take that into account.
perroloco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
No way! Such great news!

Wooow!

Guess the people that wanted to remake Shaman King probably decided to get this after Takei denied Sk's rights.

Wooow! I'm really, really hyped for this!

If you saw the first Hoshin Engi adaptation, it pretty much was filler after the first 15 or so episodes, the manga is so, si much better with its wacky characters and crazy ideas.

Hopefully this is at least a 3cour anime covering the full 23 volume run, it would be a little bit on the speedy side of things, but it could work.

Also maybe this will make Viz license the kanzenbans.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
This seems so random! I wonder what they base these remake decisions on? Was Hoshin Engo especially popular? I never read it, so I honestly don't know what qualities it has that got it picked.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
This seems so random! I wonder what they base these remake decisions on? Was Hoshin Engo especially popular? I never read it, so I honestly don't know what qualities it has that got it picked.

Hoshin Engo was for 1 year, 1996 in the Top 3 series of Weekly Shonen Jump Magazine.
The anime unfortunately wasn't that popular Sad
Recently the manga volumes reached a checkpoint of 20 Million copies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3