• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki Ends Anime Streaming Service in October

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
{Edit}: Trollish post removed. ~ Psycho 101
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
sweet, less people to pick up exclusives.
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Not surprised. They'll be forever known as "that service that streamed One Punch Man" to me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
This was expected because the creators of the service never seemed interested in making it appealing to fans.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
No wonder Daisuki didn't get AoA's simulcasts this season. It wasn't my favorite streaming site, but I didn't hate it. I actually got my first figures through the site. I doesn't affect me anymore as I stopped using the site after they stopped getting exclusives, but I won't say that it is a positive development.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I hoped that this would be worldwide but then it slowly got region restrictions and my obscure country never got what little they had that I wanted to watch.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Maybe if they ever fixed that issue I see people reporting all the time where their player would just give errors....maybe then some people would've used their crap. Doubt it tho, really just not enough exclusives.
thunderkingnue29

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Waiting for the news "Amazon Ends Anime Streaming Service"
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
thunderkingnue29 wrote:
That would be a day of joy.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
thunderkingnue29 wrote:
That would be a day of joy.

National Holiday...on every nation. Neutral
srlracing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
The anime streaming space is far too crowded at the moment. There are at least 9 streaming services with a major focus on anime by my count at the moment. There are more streaming services for anime than even more mainstream markets. Couple that with how price sensitive anime streaming is with a whole lot of people going: "Its not free? Screw it! I'll pirate it." In my opinion the industry can only support 2 or 3 services in the long run and I think what we are seeing right now is the fight to be one of them. Expect more services to shut down in the future.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
Honestly, I hoped that this would be worldwide but then it slowly got region restrictions and my obscure country never got what little they had that I wanted to watch. Won't be missed.

I dunno where you live, but here it was usually Daisuki that offered titles unavailable by Crunchyroll here, or titles simulcast by Funimation, also unavailable here otherwise. Tales of Zestiria the X and Dragon Ball Super being the most recent examples of those titles. Thakfully, DBS is already available here on Crunchyroll (and will even continue to be somehow available on Daisuki), but Zestiria is still unavailable here otherwise. Thank goodness I already saw all episodes, but still, I hope it will appear somewhere else (preferably on Crunchy) before Daisuki closes down.

Though I am not surprised with this, it was to be expected, as others also mentioned.

Edit:
srlracing wrote:
The anime streaming space is far too crowded at the moment. There are at least 9 streaming services with a major focus on anime by my count at the moment. There are more streaming services for anime than even more mainstream markets. Couple that with how price sensitive anime streaming is with a whole lot of people going: "Its not free? Screw it! I'll pirate it." In my opinion the industry can only support 2 or 3 services in the long run and I think what we are seeing right now is the fight to be one of them. Expect more services to shut down in the future.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Remember how Hulu dropped anime? How long did that last? Now they are back in anime business. The problem, however, is that of those 9, only 3 are available in my country (and most of Europe, to be honest), with Daisuki being one of those. Now only 2, Crunchyroll and Netflix, will be available here, 3 if I count the occasional legal anime streaming on Youtube, which is honestly hard to find in the flood of illegal videos there. So, you can say that here in Europe, we already are in the state of the 3 anime streaming services, though with only about a half to a third of the titles available in US. Honestly, you Americans can't value what you have.

Last edited by peno on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
thunderkingnue29 wrote:

Daisuki launched in May 2013, so it took something like 4 years before its management decided to cut it off. That suggests we may have to wait until 2020 or so for your headline...perhaps even longer, given Amazon's deep pockets.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
So Daisuki ends, but Super continues........ huh, interesting
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
srlracing wrote:
The anime streaming space is far too crowded at the moment. There are at least 9 streaming services with a major focus on anime by my count at the moment.

9? I have no idea how you even got that number.

There are a bunch of streaming services individual to their locations (like that one from Germany) but those only focus on licensing in their region to the best of my knowledge, so they have little impact on the "anime streaming space" outside of their region.

If we're talking the US, I only count four with a major focus on anime (Crunchyroll, Funimation, HIDIVE, and Anime Strike). Netflix wouldn't count because it doesn't have a major focus on anime.

I'm not sure how you're getting 9 services but you're making the situation seem worse than it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4