• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Years of Listing: Lynzee's Column Retrospective

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Interesting lists here. While I would have put some different choices on there (I'm shocked that there's no Studio Ghibli film on the "8 Most Visually Striking Anime Productions" list" and I don't agree Sailor Moon had a bland color pallette and I've seen other interesting fashions there), they're good and I'm looking forward to see more.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
That new poll is going to be interesting to tabulate with that many choices. I question Shizuku from Welcome to the Ballroom as a choice because there is nothing heroic about being a plaything for asshole males. Anyhow, I voted for Dorothy from Princess Principal because she is my favorite character right now.
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
Always enjoy reading your lists. Enjoy reading your takes and possibly looking into series I didn't know or were interesting in base on the list topic.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Magic Knight Rayearth... blah blah blah... Sandy Fox... blah blah blah... good opening English song. Really, it has to be otherwise we wouldn't be talking about it. Still talking about it.

Seven shows that could use an English dubbed opener. Ok, one.

1 Hellsing the TV. You know why.

Best heroine of the shows I'm watching... Kise from Action Heroine Cheer Fruits. It feels so clichéd but, yeah, she is the title.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Magic Circle Guru-Guru: Nike

Nike is the male lead of Guru Guru. Kukuri is female lead.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
That new poll is going to be interesting to tabulate with that many choices. I question Shizuku from Welcome to the Ballroom as a choice because there is nothing heroic about being a plaything for asshole males. Anyhow, I voted for Dorothy from Princess Principal because she is my favorite character right now.

Indeed... many of those characters, despite excellence in their own spheres, don't really meet any reasonable definition of "heroine". After getting stuck between Ange and Chise, I ultimately went with Ange.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Five years, wow, and so many lists. Nice to look back and see how far dedicated you've been to this column, Lynzee. Kudos for keeping it going so long. : )
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Always enjoy reading your lists. Enjoy reading your takes and possibly looking into series I didn't know or were interesting in base on the list topic.

Quite so! Here's to the next five years of listings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Indeed... many of those characters, despite excellence in their own spheres, don't really meet any reasonable definition of "heroine". After getting stuck between Ange and Chise, I ultimately went with Ange.

I think "female character" is more the definition being used here.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I think "female character" is more the definition being used here.

You are probably right relyat08. For some reason I focused on the literal meaning of heroine. Still, Shizuku is a badly written female character.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I question Shizuku from Welcome to the Ballroom as a choice because there is nothing heroic about being a plaything for asshole males.

Apparently "hero" means "protagonist" in this case.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Phew, I was worried this was going to be the final column based on the title. Glad to see it was just a look back before going forward and not a look back before "signing off" =)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess the poll choices are only anime that began this summer? I'm not seeing any choices I'd pick for best heroine, or even best female character, which is frankly a surprise to me, since I hadn't really been aware of the dearth of such this season. I guess Re: Creators', Hero Academia, Boruto and Bahamut are carrying the load more than I would've thought.

If Saiyuki Reload Blast had been among the choices, I'd have picked Sharak Sanzo, even though she was only introduced a couple episodes ago.

Anyway, congratulations on your 5th year, Lynzee! Here's a carving of a bear eating a fish. Very Happy
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Great seeing these old lists! Just for fun, I'd like to toss out a couple of titles:

Most Visually Striking Anime Productions: C - Control; No Game, No Life
Interesting Uses of Western Historical Figures: Nobunaga the Fool
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
That's odd; the poll's missing Fate/Apocrypha: Rider of Black.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2