• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: One Piece: Unlimited World Red

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As usual with modern One Piece games, it's available only with Japanese audio and English subtitles.

That's the only thing that really bugs me about these titles.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:05 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
As usual with modern One Piece games, it's available only with Japanese audio and English subtitles.

That's the only thing that really bugs me about these titles.

Unfortunately it stems from something that happened years ago. One Piece Unlimited Adventure sold very poorly when it came out so they figured it would be too much trouble to actually dub anymore One Piece games...
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Unfortunately it stems from something that happened years ago. One Piece Unlimited Adventure sold very poorly when it came out so they figured it would be too much trouble to actually dub anymore One Piece games...

I think another factor was the fact that Unlimited Adventure featured Franky, so he had to get cast with a dub voice years before FUNi would even get to his debut in the anime, not to mention that the Thousand Sunny was nowhere near officially debuting in America yet, either. I'm sure FUNi would rather not have to cast years in advance again, on the off chance that the actor can't reprise the role when actually necessary for the anime.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I still think the best One Piece game, is Unlimited Cruise, had a fair amount of varity to it.
Lord Geo wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:

I think another factor was the fact that Unlimited Adventure featured Franky, so he had to get cast with a dub voice years before FUNi would even get to his debut in the anime, not to mention that the Thousand Sunny was nowhere near officially debuting in America yet, either. I'm sure FUNi would rather not have to cast years in advance again, on the off chance that the actor can't reprise the role when actually necessary for the anime.
I can not see that being a problem considering that they are not that far behind the Anime, and there are very few characters left who will make reoccurring appearances. I believe the games are all handled by Bandai, and Funimation has no involvement. So they don't bother dubbing them.
IanC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this back on the PS3. I always felt the villain was too good to be in a non-canon video game.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Really nice review. Anime smile I played this when it first came out on the PS3 and rather enjoyed it even with the sometimes frustrating combat system. You had to really be smart in terms of picking who came along on certain levels. The Colosseum mode was my favorite part of the game. I unlocked pretty much all of the characters. It seems like "One Piece: Treasure Cruise" adopted the game model, but with more variation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1