• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: DMM Games Cancels Controversial Shrine Moe Girl Project, Causes Speculation

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
[Edit]: keep it nice. Errinundra.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Awww I'd have liked to see the Yasukuni shrine girl.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
So, was it an act of being political correct that canceled this game?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Probably a good idea. The thing was in bad taste.

..... no, not because it's naked girls, not just a "politically correct" thing... there's a difference between PC issues and taste issues, and this is a taste issue.

I guess the difference is that a PC issue is between two ideas of equal profundity, with one basically telling the other they can't exist, and a taste issue is where there's an idea of higher profundity, and someone tries to lay a mundane or shallow idea over it, for no reason.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
@#861208: by that logic, wouldn't Japan be apologizing for many Judeo-Christian elements put in anime?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
It's okay to reimagine Imperial Japan winning at Midway in anthropomorphized ships, but not battles between anthropomorphized Shinto shrines.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Awww I'd have liked to see the Yasukuni shrine girl.

Shintoism =/= Prewar State Shintoism. Also, the Yasukuni Shrine is more or less secular presently, akin to Arlington Cemetery.

However, there is an independent museum next door that tends to offer "alternative facts," basically violating the cliché "history is always written by the winners." Otherwise, it's no different than B.S. enshrined here about us fighting for freedom, while allying with the murderous Soviet Union and Republic of China.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
@#861208: by that logic, wouldn't Japan be apologizing for many Judeo-Christian elements put in anime?

No, because Christians are a tiny minority in Japan. Now, when those anime and games are brought over here, then there's a good possibility they'll be censored depending on the licensor because most Americans are Christian, so it's more controversal here. Kind of like how American media loves to use Norse, Egyptian, and Greek mythology without any controversy since most practicers of those are long gone so no one is going to object. Most of them were converted by Christians and Muslims back in the day. It's really only mocking Christianity or Islam that draws controversy here these days.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I still don't understand what the executive at DMM who green-lit this thing was thinking. It's like if someone made a game in the US where all the different faiths of Christianity were anthropomorphized as big-boobed cheerleaders... it might end up being a fun game, but you'd get heat from both conservative and liberal talking heads (and in general, anything that attracts the ire of both sides of the political spectrum tends not to do well these days).

Maybe it would have been fine if DMM had gotten out ahead of the game's potential PR issues, but it seems like that whole side of the product line was mishandled from the start.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

There is a reason the Saint Young Men manga hasn't been licensed over here, I'm sure.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
There is a reason the Saint Young Men manga hasn't been licensed over here, I'm sure.

Saint Young Men always felt like it would have done really well a few of decades ago in the US, but these days there are two factors preventing something like it from taking off:

(a) as far as media that pokes fun at religion, Saint Young Men is a bit on the tame side compared to what's already out there

(b) there just isn't that much cultural interest in - or common knowledge of - "Eastern religion" these days (at least compared to the 60s and the 70s)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It's like if someone made a game in the US where all the different faiths of Christianity were anthropomorphized as big-boobed cheerleaders... it might end up being a fun game, but you'd get heat from both conservative and liberal talking heads (and in general, anything that attracts the ire of both sides of the political spectrum tends not to do well these days).

Don't know about that. There is only one religion, that no one is allowed to make fun of, or you will be considered an IST. But Christianity, and all the other ones have been free game for decades now, at least in the United States.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I figured it was cut cause they wanted to avoid the otaku tourism that will visit without properly appreciating the place and cause more harm than good.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
My goodness, suck it up DMM, they aren't ISIS, it's just a bunch of crybabies and a whining political tyrant.
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Glad they canceled it. It was a dumb idea to begin with. Aren't they already making enough money off of pretty much every game on their site but especially Kancolle and Touken Ranbu
? Stop anthropomorphizing things that shouldn't be anthropomorphized.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2