• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kakegurui Anime Has Original Ending

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Figured as much.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The anime adaptation was following the manga very well so I'm honestly surprised by the anime original ending. They're skipping all of the build up that the manga has and ending the anime on what sounds like a rushed and disappointing note. I know they're doing this because they're aware it won't get a second season, but I would have preferred for the anime to end on an open note, simply adapting some of the story.

Edit: I am hopeful at least and keeping an open mind that they might pull something out that's still entertaining and fun for the final.

Last edited by HoboSoup on Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skydrop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't expecting that from MAPPA! I hope it will give us a decent finale episode.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
The anime adaptation was following the manga very well so I'm honestly surprised by the anime original ending. They're skipping all of the build up that the manga has and ending the anime on what sounds like a rushed and disappointingly note. I know they're doing this because they're aware it won't get a second season, but I would have preferred for the anime to end on an open note, simply adapting some of the story.

I wonder why they don't plan on a S2. Did they not expect this to be a lucrative IP for multiple seasons?
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
The anime adaptation was following the manga very well so I'm honestly surprised by the anime original ending. They're skipping all of the build up that the manga has and ending the anime on what sounds like a rushed and disappointingly note. I know they're doing this because they're aware it won't get a second season, but I would have preferred for the anime to end on an open note, simply adapting some of the story.

I wonder why they don't plan on a S2. Did they not expect this to be a lucrative IP for multiple seasons?

You have to understand the majority of anime adaptations are simply used to promote the material they are based on to a larger audience and increase the sales of the manga/LN. Unless a series sells really really well. A new season does not get made. Also it is not the author to decide but the production committee to do so.

This is sort of a way to end the series with a somewhat closure for the anime fans so they wont feel like the story ended so open ended.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Ratings must have been poor for the series which is disappointing because it's highly entertaining.
myskaros

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Dang, I thought the tower would be a decent stopping point, plus it's a neat concept to see animated.
ETX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
And just like that it's on my dropped list. Shame as I liked the manga a lot.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

You have to understand the majority of anime adaptations are simply used to promote the material they are based on to a larger audience and increase the sales of the manga/LN. Unless a series sells really really well. A new season does not get made. Also it is not the author to decide but the production committee to do so.

This is sort of a way to end the series with a somewhat closure for the anime fans so they wont feel like the story ended so open ended.

Oh I understand that fully that at its minimum, the Kakegurui anime is there to promote the manga. It's just a bummer they're not going to consider making future installments (unless streaming numbers once it goes on Netflix outdoes their expectations).
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
ETX wrote:

I mean you could watch 11 episodes since they adapt the manga pretty material pretty well in my opinion, then go back to reading the manga. This 12th episode might be interesting to see just because the manga author drafted the script according to this article. I'm just going to think of it like an alternate reality ending, because I'll still be reading the manga after the anime ends anyhow.
GMArcturus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
ETX wrote:

I mean you could watch 11 episodes since they adapt the manga pretty material pretty well in my opinion, then go back to reading the manga. This 12th episode might be interesting to see just because the manga author drafted the script according to this article. I'm just going to think of it like an alternate reality ending, because I'll still be reading the manga after the anime ends anyhow.

Why would someone do that? Either start with the manga and move to the anime if the anime goes all the way through the manga or just stick with the manga. Going from moving pictures with sound to a book in the middle of an arc doesn't make any sense.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I´m pretty glad that anime creators are welcoming more anime-original content, understanding that they DONT NEED TO COPY THE SOURCE MATERIAL.

Now, can we have more anime series not adapting exactly 1:1 the source material, and including more anime-original content please? That´ll make the industry better
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
GMArcturus wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
ETX wrote:

Why would someone do that? Either start with the manga and move to the anime if the anime goes all the way through the manga or just stick with the manga. Going from moving pictures with sound to a book in the middle of an arc doesn't make any sense.

What? I've been reading the manga since before the anime came out and have been way ahead of the anime material for a long time. I still enjoy the anime adaptation because of the animation, color, voice acting, sound effects, and so fourth.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:
I´m pretty glad that anime creators are welcoming more anime-original content, understanding that they DONT NEED TO COPY THE SOURCE MATERIAL.

Now, can we have more anime series not adapting exactly 1:1 the source material, and including more anime-original content please? That´ll make the industry better

What are you talking about? If the source material is really good why would the anime adaption make up random original material and cram it into the show? Especially if it's not done by the original author, that typically ruins the original author's plans and story flow. Are you saying filler content is good? As in more anime should have Naruto levels of filler? I rather not get unnecessary filler. Original endings often aren't great either.
The only possible way you make any sense to me is if you're talking about minor changes, like anime is a different format so it should be done a bit differently than the manga, an anime for example should often times show you things instead of explaining them to you like the manga does, because you can show things through animation that you might normally have to explain in a book. Along with several other things. But it sounds more like you want massive big changes that would probably just make the story worse. I'm not certain how that would benefit the anime industry.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Netflix Japan began streaming the series on July 2, and will premiere it on November 7 in the United States and Canada, and other territories outside of Japan on December 2.

I think you might want to edit that. Fate/Apocrypha will be released November 7/December 2, but Kakegurui won't be released until "2018" for the rest of the world.
DaComment

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
well, a reason why u shudnt give shows to netflix and amazon prime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2