• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kino's Journey TV Anime's 2nd Promo Video Previews Ti, Nagi Yanagi's Song

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantaselion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
ohhhh so looking forward to this. I love the song.

They also did a very good job with 3D Kino. I noticed it immediately (but i'm good at noticing 3D) but it blends in very well with the 2D,
Robiii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
I sure hope theyll adapt something new as well, otherwise its a waste...
Nonetheless, lookin forward to it
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
Is it just me, or are they trying to make Kino more gender neutral?
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
That was a pretty nice song. Getting closer and closer until the first episode is out. Many years have passed with many fans waiting for more Kino anime and it's finally almost here.
Joa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
Robiii wrote:
I sure hope theyll adapt something new as well, otherwise its a waste...

They will. Ti is in the PV and she wasn't in the old anime. And Kino eating cake is from Land of Permitted Murder which wasn't in the old anime either.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
I never watched the original series, but I am pretty interested in this show.

Will I have to watch the original before this one airs? Or does anyone think it will be like FMAB and you can just start at the beginning.
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
Gintama's new season also got a promo video, but still no news about it:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x625x9v
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Really wish Mikuni Shimokawa could have returned for at least one of the themes, but Nagi Yanagi is a wonderful replacement.

Unlike the poster above, I thought the CG stuck out like a sore thumb and looked pretty bad (look at the short scene was Kino is slowing down then did a quick right turn and parked Hermes)

Looks to be a visual downgrade overall from a series almost 15 years old which is hard to imagine. Hopefully at least the adaptation is solid in terms of writing and characters, though coming even somewhat close to what Nakamura and his staff achieved is rather improbable I'd say.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

To me, it looks like they made Kino more girlish and moe. Also that is some tacky CGI.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

Kino is supposed to be gender neutral. Kind of a whole plot thread about it.
Akiko_Kamikaze

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

Kino is supposed to be gender neutral. Kind of a whole plot thread about it.

not really...
from the interview with the author animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-09-11/interview-keiichi-sigsawa/.121076
Quote:
Kino herself is the heart and soul of the story to many people. People often talk about how unique she is because she doesn't care if people see her as either male nor female, only "Kino". How does Kino see herself in regards to her gender, since she doesn't seem to act as either a girl or boy?

Kino really doesn't think of herself too deeply when she uses pronouns. Depending on the circumstances, she may use "boku" or "atashi", it kinda depends on the situation she finds herself in. In the first story, Kino always referred to herself as "boku", because it was meant to be like a little secret. At the end of the story, it was treated as a reveal to surprise the readers, because they had probably assumed someone using "boku" was a guy. So it was more of a trick at the beginning. It's not that I wanted to write a story about a girl who lives like a boy directly, it was just an interesting way to start the story, and her character's personality has continued that way since then.

She looks way more feminine in the light novels
fantaselion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Really wish Mikuni Shimokawa could have returned for at least one of the themes, but Nagi Yanagi is a wonderful replacement.

Unlike the poster above, I thought the CG stuck out like a sore thumb and looked pretty bad (look at the short scene was Kino is slowing down then did a quick right turn and parked Hermes)

Looks to be a visual downgrade overall from a series almost 15 years old which is hard to imagine. Hopefully at least the adaptation is solid in terms of writing and characters, though coming even somewhat close to what Nakamura and his staff achieved is rather improbable I'd say.

you can say what you want about the CG, but animation downgrade?!?!? I think you need to look at the non CG movement and the backgrounds.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I k now this is just nitpicking, but I really wish they had kept the colour pallet from the old TV show, and key-framed Hermes instead of that off putting 3D model.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
fantaselion wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

you can say what you want about the CG, but animation downgrade?!?!? I think you need to look at the non CG movement and the backgrounds.

On a technical level, it's a definite upgrade, but stylistically, it's a step down from the original. This series is basically fairtytale/parable-like in nature, and the original had a muted style that, while obviously low-budget, really made the stories hit much harder.

On the other hand, the dissonance between the inevitable spoiler[nightmare fuel to come] and the new bright colors might be able to work. I still feel like they yell "we're hip and modern now!" too much for such a unique work, though, and would rather the Haibane-Renmei style of the original, but I'm trying to be optimistic.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
fantaselion wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

On a technical level, it's a definite upgrade, but stylistically, it's a step down from the original. This series is basically fairtytale/parable-like in nature, and the original had a muted style that, while obviously low-budget, really made the stories hit much harder.

On the other hand, the dissonance between the inevitable spoiler[nightmare fuel to come] and the new bright colors might be able to work. I still feel like they yell "we're hip and modern now!" too much for such a unique work, though, and would rather the Haibane-Renmei style of the original, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

yea, I definitly agree that the old style was better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2