• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hiro Mashima to be Honored at Harvey Awards at NYCC

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe_g7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:17 am Reply with quote
Why Mashima though? Couldn't they find anyone better to give the award to??
Tarik Loq

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:04 am Reply with quote
Are you kidding me?

he's created the worst shonen in history and received an award for that?
If i was present at the con, i would literally tell him nyself how bad his fairy trash is.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:24 am Reply with quote
Tarik Loq wrote:
Are you kidding me?

If i was present at the con, i would literally tell him nyself how bad his fairy trash is.

Yeah sure you would pal.

FT is not the worst shounen ever, it's quite popular, sold a lot of copies and had multiple anime and spinoffs, the award is justified.
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:32 am Reply with quote
So more fanservice and less story will get you an award.
Not a very good example for authors.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
If any author deserves a award it would be Araki and his 30 years with Jojo.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote
Guys, you have to give the guy more credit than this. Although as much as I'm not a fan of FT he did accomplish something big. He created a shounen that many people cherish and love. And he did it without getting very ill or dying (something common in this industry). I feel that he should get this award because it is not every day a mangaka could make it to his level. It's still a big-name manga. May not be the one we all like, but it's something we should congratulate him for.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:33 am Reply with quote
A strong vocal negative crowd is proof that Fairy Tail deserve this award. The silent majority that enjoys it must be huge.

Even with its flaws I enjoyed fairy tail. Mashima did good.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
Pleased for Hiro Mashima, one of the hardest workers in manga by all accounts and he created a huge series that was a heck of a lot of fun to read for so many. I adored it and loved looking forward to reading each new chapter each week. Not many on that level for me.

It is a very popular series both Japan and internationally and popular, well received / popular series nearly always receive accolades no matter how hard a vocal minority screams that it's awful and that you should feel bad for liking it. Happens everywhere, see any film, music, sport, book etc. award.

Tarik Loq wrote:
Are you kidding me?

Worst shonen what exactly? Manga? If so that's encompassing more than you'll ever read so don't be ridiculous. Worst shonen battle / adventure manga you've read would be better wording since your opinion is not fact. And if you would go to tell him that when at a con instead of ignoring something you don't like then that says a lot about you.

traitorAIZEN wrote:

Because fan service is bad? It didn't take away from the fabulous (in my view) story or battles, in fact I'd say it worked well with it, seamlessly implemented and never distracted from the serious events occurring.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
EighteenSky wrote:
Pleased for Hiro Mashima, one of the hardest workers in manga by all accounts and he created a huge series that was a heck of a lot of fun to read for so many. I adored it and loved looking forward to reading each new chapter each week. Not many on that level for me.

It is a very popular series both Japan and internationally and popular, well received / popular series nearly always receive accolades no matter how hard a vocal minority screams that it's awful and that you should feel bad for liking it. Happens everywhere, see any film, music, sport, book etc. award.

Tarik Loq wrote:
Are you kidding me?

Worst shonen what exactly? Manga? If so that's encompassing more than you'll ever read so don't be ridiculous. Worst shonen battle / adventure manga you've read would be better wording since your opinion is not fact. And if you would go to tell him that when at a con instead of ignoring something you don't like then that says a lot about you.

traitorAIZEN wrote:

Because fan service is bad? It didn't take away from the fabulous (in my view) story or battles, in fact I'd say it worked well with it, seamlessly implemented and never distracted from the serious events occurring.

It HEAVILY distracted me. Like when Lucy was trapped in that big water bubble and she was suffocating. Hard to give a shit when the camera did nothing besides ogle her crotch and tits. Oh no. Lucy. There is certainty some serious tension here. Tension in my pants that is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote
To all of the people giving reasons why this is deserved:

Then why not Kishimoto? Or Toriyama? Or, like has been said, Araki? Or the artists of Hunter x Hunter, or My Hero Academia? (or Death Note?)

And that's still assuming that a long-running, popular Shonen work is the highest thing manga is capable of.

Why not Kaoru Mori, or another artist known for subtle, complex, detailed work? Why not Naoko Takeuchi, since Sailor Moon is definitely more noteworthy of any of the praise someone could give to Fairy Tail, and more so than Naruto or Dragonball, too. Why not one of those avant-garde creators everyone on ANN is always raving about, like that Goodnight Punpun thing? I personally am not into that, but even I recognize that it's more worthy than Fairy Tail.

If they're giving an award to just one manga, they are essentially saying that that one is the best. This is based on the stereotype that all manga is shonen, and all shonen is immature and stupid. Anyone who knows anything about manga can name at least a few that are more deserving of an award.

If it's by convenience, since he's already going to be there, then still no. You don't give awards by convenience.

This looks to me like a shallow attempt by American artists who think all manga is the same, to throw a bone in the direction of a section of the medium that they don't really have much respect for.
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
Many people loved at the beginning myself included. Then to cover up for his lack of talent in battle choreography and writing a good story, he resorts to fanservice to attract horny teenage boys and distract them from the obvious flaws in his work. A very convenient plot armor and broken power levels didn't help much but create false suspense of the moment. Because when you know that any death/crisis can just be solved by nakama/family power or other convoluted reasons, investing any sympathy for the characters is pretty much useless.

It started as a story of magic guilds doing adventurer guild-like work, but then somewhere down the line it completely forgets that setting and end up just becoming beat-up-the-bad-guy story. They barely did any magic guild related jobs aside from the few from the start of the story and the fillers.

Mediocre battle choreography, formulaic story, overuse of plot armor/nakama power, unncessary fanservice overload, and forgetting its roots, how the hell can this be an award-worthy manga & mangaka?

I still believe that Naruto is the best shounen of the big 3 (not 4 because FT was never that big imo) and the one worthy of awards. Yes the anime is full of fillers but if you look at the canon story as a whole, it's a damn great story.

Last edited by traitorAIZEN on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
Damn, ANN Forum, back at it again with the FT salt.

Tarik Loq wrote:
Are you kidding me?

Take a breath. It's not that deep. As terrible as FT became in its back half, spoiler[I'm still trying to forget all the garbage that happened in the final arc], it is by no means the worst shonen ever. Not even close really.

Snakebit1995 wrote:

FT is not the worst shounen ever, it's quite popular, sold a lot of copies and had multiple anime and spinoffs, the award is justified.

Kinda, but I'd argue that Oda, Toriyama, Kishimoto, Ohba and Obata, possibly Isayama, and even Kubo (again possibly) would deserve this award more than Mashima. Not saying he SHOULDN'T get it but there are better candidates to give it to for the first go round. Just looks like they are awarding mediocrity, either that or they are giving it to him because he comes to conventions and it would generate buzz (I'm leaning more towards the latter.
JavelinR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
Nice, congratulations to Mashima Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
.... wait.

From the actual press release:
Quote:

The reception will also feature Japanese mangaka Hiro Mashima as the Harvey’s International Spotlight guest, in recognition for his renowned work as the creator of Fairy Tail, the long-running manga serial that concluded this year. Original work from both Mashima and Kurtzman will be on display.

It says "International Spotlight Guest". It does not say "Award". The phrasing is different. There's no implication of selection here.

This puts it in a completely different light from ANN's report, and from the commentary on the blog that is ANN's source (which is where I found the press release).
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
I really loved FT in the beginning and the many arcs that followed but the last few arcs was a turn off because it became predictable and almost no one noteworthy dies despite the intensity of the war arc and the thing with Acnologia. Even the one person who died before the final arc doesnt stay dead. Its another way of keeping characters alive without Dragon balls to revive them and Im certain the plot armor on certain characters speaks for itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3