• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - .hack//G.U. Last Recode

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
.hack//G.U. Last Recode: I do wonder if I'm ever going to get to this. I never played the PS2 original, but I did watch all of Roots (which was quite a dull experience). I'm too busy with Summon Night 6 right now for that matter.

Quote:
You do get one marked improvement this time around with the addition of a Japanese voice option on top of the Western original's rough English VO.

I don't think the dub sounded that rough. It still holds up well, and you can't go wrong with Yuri Lowenthal as the lead role.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2:

Quote:
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will offer full Japanese voiceover with a free day one download. The people rejoiced and all that. But it's still something that we're waiting breathlessly every time these announcements happen. Make it standard.

I wonder if that's a good idea. Entitled purists will start expecting it every time a JRPG gets announced for localization, and leave hateful "English dubs suck!" comments on English voice trailers everywhere, more so than they do now. The last thing we want is them getting even more rude, demanding and uppity than they already are.

Ys VIII Translation Patch: End of November was too soon a date to retranslate the entire game. They put too much pressure on themselves with that goal. Truthfully, I completed the game and got the true ending a little while back, so I'm in no big hurry for this patch.

Demon Gaze II:

Quote:
Plus, dual audio. (Thank goodness.)

This is a tad strange, especially learning this on your last day here, but since when were you such an advocate for Japanese voices?

All the same, thanks for your efforts and contributions here, Dustin. I wish you well on your pursuits after this.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
If i buy Last Recode on a PS3, can I access it on a PS4 if I'm logged into the same user account?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I think Natsume needs to change the bulb in that Light of Hope. Seems to be dimming. Could also be faulty wiring.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Lol...that last sentence!....I'll respectfully disagree as i think Lylat Wars was also a good game. However Adeventures is also my favourite mostly because it's a Zelda clone. Shame about the crap ending though!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
If i buy Last Recode on a PS3, can I access it on a PS4 if I'm logged into the same user account?

...As in Cross Play/Cross Save? Cause that only works if you have both versions of certain games and from what I can gleam Last Recode isn't on the PS3.
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I wonder if that's a good idea. Entitled purists will start expecting it every time a JRPG gets announced for localization, and leave hateful "English dubs suck!" comments on English voice trailers everywhere, more so than they do now. The last thing we want is them getting even more rude, demanding and uppity than they already are.

Is this sarcasm? Next you will lament how its not censored like X was. How is more options bad? The first game had dual audio and was uncensored. X was the exception that they seemingly learned their lesson from
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I feel like, in this day and age, the option for Japanese Audio in an English translated game should just be a default. Like, even as a free DLC. Heck, even as a DLC that costs a little. So every time I hear a game has dual audio I breathe a sigh of relief... it's not like I hate english dubs but I really love Japanese voice actors so I'd rather hear them, especially when I see the cast has some of my fave VAs in it.

Anyway, farewell Dustin! it's been short but fun having you writing for the column! Feels like it was only just yesterday that you were taking over...
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Last Recode is FANTASTIC. The fact that it’s dual audio makes me so happy.
DeaD_PooL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed it
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Is this sarcasm? Next you will lament how its not censored like X was. How is more options bad? The first game had dual audio and was uncensored. X was the exception that they seemingly learned their lesson from

No, it's not sarcasm, nor did I say more options was a bad thing. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I would lament censorship either. I was referring to the entitlement certain types feel over dual audio options and how they turn it into a need to post dub-hating comments on English dub trailers. I wasn't referring to anyone who prefers Japanese voices in general and appreciates them. You're being ridiculous by overreacting like that, just so you know.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
.hack//G.U. Last Recode: I do wonder if I'm ever going to get to this. I never played the PS2 original, but I did watch all of Roots (which was quite a dull experience). I'm too busy with Summon Night 6 right now for that matter.

If you didn't care for Roots, you probably won't care for G.U. either.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No, .hack predates the SAO phenomenon by the better part of a decade,

This is very wrong. They were basically made at the same time. Kawahara originally wrote SAO as a contest entry in 2002 but didn't submit it because it was over the length limit. It got put up as a web novel. Unless I am missing something, that is the same year .hack made its appearance.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Thing is, someone told me not to use Roots as an entry point and just play the first entry instead. Admittedly, I've been curious about Haseo's story for years after the trilogy's release on PS2, it's just that I could never add it to my list of games to play.
zetsuei380

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Quote:
No, .hack predates the SAO phenomenon by the better part of a decade,

This is very wrong. They were basically made at the same time. Kawahara originally wrote SAO as a contest entry in 2002 but didn't submit it because it was over the length limit. It got put up as a web novel. Unless I am missing something, that is the same year .hack made its appearance.

I'm guessing he's referring to the SAO anime, since the series didn't become the huge "phenomenon" it is today until the anime came out. Is there a specific date for when the web novel came out in 2002?
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:

Thing is, someone told me not to use Roots as an entry point and just play the first entry instead. Admittedly, I've been curious about Haseo's story for years after the trilogy's release on PS2, it's just that I could never add it to my list of games to play.

It's hard to say. For me, the strongest entry would be .hack//SIGN, but the games following it are pretty dull (even if I still love them). .hack//Roots felt like the dull entry, but I got really invested in characters like Shino and Phil, who ended up being my favorite in the R:2 focused content. But the G.U. games are much better than Roots overall.

In the end, it really depends on what you want out of a game. If a game with extremely repetitive environments and gameplay doesn't turn you away from a powerful and fun story, then you're probably fine. But if you really care about inventive gameplay, you may not enjoy the games. It's not so much "boring" a game to me as it is... pretty much an MMO without the MMO part, which probably takes the experience away from some people, but not from me.

Oh, and while dungeons aren't too crazy, I do thing some environments and Lost Grounds are still some of the prettiest scenes of their time in video games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2