• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gintama Live-Action Film Gets Sequel in Summer 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
Please let it be the Yoshiwara arc
Nagsura

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:23 am Reply with quote
I love Gintama, but boy does Japan love its live action movies to be low-budget and campy as hell. Won't be looking foward to this one, let alone paying to watch it at the movies again (or watching it at all).
Midaro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
Great news to start the day!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Nagsura wrote:
I love Gintama, but boy does Japan love its live action movies to be low-budget and campy as hell. Won't be looking foward to this one, let alone paying to watch it at the movies again (or watching it at all).

Oh it was low budget alright. But they didn't know how successful it would be. Hopefully they can make the next one look better now that they made a crap ton of money. Besides. It's Gintama, it works cause they can make fun of themselves for it. And while the movie certainly wasn't perfect, I think it captured the spirit of silliness that the series is know for. As well as having some pretty cool fights. One of the better anime movies that I've seen for sure.
Nagsura

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:58 am Reply with quote
Crystalblade13 wrote:
Oh it was low budget alright. But they didn't know how successful it would be. Hopefully they can make the next one look better now that they made a crap ton of money. Besides. It's Gintama, it works cause they can make fun of themselves for it. And while the movie certainly wasn't perfect, I think it captured the spirit of silliness that the series is know for. As well as having some pretty cool fights. One of the better anime movies that I've seen for sure.

I think its success despite the overall carpyness will just encourage them to keep the low budget, 'cause they certainly didn't even try to hide it in any way.

And yes, it was very silly, but a good chnk of the humour just didn't translate well to live action. There's also how the source actually knows how not to drag things out too much, which I think the movie failed to accomplish (specifically regarding Kagura, Tae and the Shinsengumi as a whole).
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I could have seen this coming with how good the movie did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1