• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puzzle & Dragons X BD/DVD Part 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Yea P&D is a really fun show with it's occasional super strong episode. And I agree that the dub is really great. Hopefully now that whatever licensing problem the show had is fixed, FUNimation can restart dubbing the show.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Very happy to hear the dub is excellently done, and that I'm not the only one who thought the Japanese voices for Tama and Devi got annoying. Thanks for the review, Rebecca. Instant buy!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
The Tamas' voices kinda grew on me after awhile, especially Tamazo, whose seiyuu sometimes slips in some really endearing inflections.

I'm still enjoying the series a lot, though it's gotten a little more dire since it started up again. My biggest problem with the series is that a number of plot points don't quite make sense, or seem contradictory, or are just left hanging. I was just reading over the discussion thread for the series (which only DP and I have been posting in - come join us!), and I was reminded how confusing things were in the first third of the series. But kids probably won't notice those things, or will be content to fill in the blanks and reconcile issues for themselves. Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The Tamas' voices kinda grew on me after awhile, especially Tamazo, whose seiyuu sometimes slips in some really endearing inflections.

I'm still enjoying the series a lot, though it's gotten a little more dire since it started up again. My biggest problem with the series is that a number of plot points don't quite make sense, or seem contradictory, or are just left hanging. I was just reading over the discussion thread for the series (which only DP and I have been posting in - come join us!), and I was reminded how confusing things were in the first third of the series. But kids probably won't notice those things, or will be content to fill in the blanks and reconcile issues for themselves. :)

Don't get me wrong, their voices are fine since they completely fit their appearance, but they only got annoying for me in Japanese if they spoke more than a handful of sentences at a time.

I guess that's what happens when you try to write a story for something that didn't originally have one to begin with. You'd think it would sound easy to just make it up as they go along since the cellphone title has no real story to speak of, but writing a tightly connected story is just difficult in general. Ugh, I know I've been there.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I do enjoy a solid, honest-to-goodness, kids anime every once in a while. Random question to any who can answer but does anyone know the status with Funimation's dub production? They still set to release the show with more dubbed episodes (be it stream or physical release)?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's a stigma around anime series based on games that could hold particularly true for Puzzle & Dragons X. It's based not just on a game, but on a Candy Crush-style match three cellphone game.

Seems like it's trying to follow Pokemon's "Ash & Pikachu" lead for turning a thin monster game into a narrative--
But Pikachu was such an identifiable character that players stuck with all throughout the beginning of the original Gameboy game, it was easy to establish a character relationship--There's no real one standout character of P&D, we've just got a wild and woolly menagerie, no narrative, and new creatures of every description appearing in the game every week.
Which puts it into more of a Yu-Gi-Oh situation where the player has plenty of monsters at his game-strategy command, but no real character-identified relationship.

Although, frankly, I'm just glad P&D is still hot in Japan--I was hopelessly addicted back in '14, when it was still hot and we got news Batman and Final Fantasy crossover characters, but then drifted off into the more immersive Marvel Puzzle Quest, and literally ignored the P&D game for three years.
Out of guilt, I started playing again last summer, and became hooked all over again, but now I'm worried whether I stayed away too long, and whether anyone's still online. Looks like they are, but y'know, seems like the series should have been airing at least three years earlier.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Is that Dai Sato? The same Dai Sato that wrote Eureka Seven.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I agree with this. Well maybe Tamazo works best for not long period of speaking, but I think the Seiyuu has done some things I particularly like, such times as when he gets silly serious. For some reason I recall moments especially when he starts eating random food, also. I found the character charming, I think from a place it actually feels like the seiyuu and the show are having fun with the character. Devi though, I don't really care for Devi.

I think it is a case in general that I find Puzzle & Dragons X charming. The show does have its problems of course, especially as an older viewer. The show is not always the most consistent with story elements, by which I think that I mean things happen because that is how the show wants them to. Characters can be surprisingly not very smart at times, maybe even forgetting things the should know, or using a strategy that would probably help. Like one big example more later in the show (recent releases), the characters went looking for someone because they went missing, which does not explain why these characters should be doing it like there is a proper reason, and Ace should have been ably to easily win a conflict with powers he showed just in the previous arc.

But I end up not caring about that part too much, because I kind of just like the characters. Particularly it has had Ace and Tamazo with Garnet. I consider myself a big fan of Garnet's character, she has clearly been a bit of a snob, but also shown growth with it, and that you feel her character tries hard and a feeling of competence despite often the butt of a joke. And at least up to now, their relationship at all has not had to be defined by anything like crushes.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Is that Dai Sato? The same Dai Sato that wrote Eureka Seven.

Yes it is.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the review. This looks like it might be a good fit for my middle school anime club. Can you remember if there any racist characters or excessive fan service? (Sometimes the most innocent looking shows surprise me.) Do you think it's too "kiddy" for 13 year olds? Thank you!
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I do enjoy a solid, honest-to-goodness, kids anime every once in a while. Random question to any who can answer but does anyone know the status with Funimation's dub production? They still set to release the show with more dubbed episodes (be it stream or physical release)?

Funimation is more than likely set to release the last 2 boxsets to get to "episode 36?"

But beyond that the show still appears to be in licensing hell like with monster hunter sadly
epicwizard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I dropped the show after episode 4, mainly because I couldn't stand most of the BGM. The mediocre BGM was incredibly distracting to me. However, I love the first opening and ending theme.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 am Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
Thank you for the review. This looks like it might be a good fit for my middle school anime club. Can you remember if there any racist characters or excessive fan service? (Sometimes the most innocent looking shows surprise me.) Do you think it's too "kiddy" for 13 year olds? Thank you!

It's a little young for 13 year olds who think they're big hulking teens, but once they get into it, I think it'd be fine. There's only one character in this set who might be problematic, Morgan, who seems to get a little too much joy out of beating Ace up at one point, but she's relatively minor. There does appear to be some racial tension between Draconoids and Humans, but it's more in the "teachable moment" arena than anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1