• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Licenses Cinderella Boy Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
So I'm guessing Lupin's doing good enough for them that they're considering releasing other Monkey Punch anime? Still, this was one I was not expecting to see a stateside release for, and I'm happy that it's getting one.

Last edited by Takkun4343 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
As interesting as Cinderella Boy sounds, I am eagerly awaiting the Blu-ray Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer movie. Right now I own every Animeigo release of UY and the original CPM/USMC UY: Beautiful Dreamer on DVD, and while I'll probably never see the rest of them on Blu-ray, at least I can see the best of the movies in that format.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Theodore Relic wrote:
As interesting as Cinderella Boy sounds, I am eagerly awaiting the Blu-ray Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer movie. Right now I own every Animeigo release of UY and the original CPM/USMC UY: Beautiful Dreamer on DVD, and while I'll probably never see the rest of them on Blu-ray, at least I can see the best of the movies in that format.

Quote:
Discotek's previously announced DVD/Blu-ray Disc combo pack for NieA_7 and Blu-ray Disc for Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer are also slated for February 27.

Whew. Finally a date. Confused
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
So I'm guessing Lupin's doing good enough for them that they're considering releasing other Monkey Punch anime? Still, this was an anime I was not expecting to see a stateside release, and I'm happy that it is.

It's Discotek killing two birds with one stone. Cinderella Boy both continues the support for Monkey Punch titles, while also continuing the business relationship with Enoki Films, as that company has the rights to the show. Still, Cinderella Boy has never seen an official English release of any sort before, physical or streaming, so we're finally entering a new world of Enoki licenses (the stuff that has never been given a chance before), which I am excited to see the potential of.

*J9, J9, J9, J9, J9, J9, J9... Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease gives us the J9 Series, eventually!*
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
So I'm guessing Lupin's doing good enough for them that they're considering releasing other Monkey Punch anime? Still, this was an anime I was not expecting to see a stateside release, and I'm happy that it is.

if they get more Monkey Punch-related shows I hope one of them is Musashi Gundoh. Razz
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this takes me back; I remember watching a translation of this in 2003! Will very much be looking forward to supporting this official release, thus it's another winner for Discotek!

And if we're talking unlicensed Monkey Punch anime, then my vote has to be for the Siamese Cat - First Mission movie; this has never even been translated to the best of my knowledge.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
That's great news for Library Wars and UY Movie 2!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
Theodore Relic wrote:

Yes, this. I was just thinking "Wasn't Beautiful Dreamer licensed awhile ago? Did I miss it?"

As for the title series, I can't help but say "Fujiko Mine is Lupin the Third! It's a Body Cop movie!" It's a single season 2003 adaptation of a property from the 80s....one quick Youtube search later... and it looks pretty much like I figured it would.

It seems like the kind of property created on a dare, like "Most of the fun stuff in Lupin III is Fujiko interacting with Lupin." "Oh yeah? I bet I can pull off a series where none of that can happen!"

Be it Birdy or Maze or even this fine property... no they can't.
Brack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Theodore Relic wrote:

Yes, this. I was just thinking "Wasn't Beautiful Dreamer licensed awhile ago? Did I miss it?"

As for the title series, I can't help but say "Fujiko Mine is Lupin the Third! It's a Body Cop movie!" It's a single season 2003 adaptation of a property from the 80s....one quick Youtube search later... and it looks pretty much like I figured it would.

It seems like the kind of property created on a dare, like "Most of the fun stuff in Lupin III is Fujiko interacting with Lupin." "Oh yeah? I bet I can pull off a series where none of that can happen!"

Be it Birdy or Maze or even this fine property... no they can't.

Ranma is more Jim Rockford than Lupin III.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Takkun: Now if only someone can bring over the ‘Holy Grail’, Gundou Musashi... Razz
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Will the company finally licenses Musumet since it's another Enoki Films title? I plan to watch it soon, but it's not that popular except maybe in Latin America when it was airing on Animax. Please let me know if there's one enjoyable thing about that series.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's never too late to pick up another license for the Lupin III fans.
While this ISN'T Lupin III, it does feel like it in addition to LOOKING like the Lupin series since it's obvious they share the same character designers. It looks like a TMS production, for sure!

I saw it subtitled years ago and it's not a half-bad show with decent production values. In fact, it's really NOTHING like Ranma 1/2 since the main characters TOTALLY replace each other for half the day. This is NOT just a gender swap and there's a running subplot through the series that deals with the fact that the main leads NEVER see each other face-to-face after Episode One.

I honestly can't remember much of the storylines other than yes, it's people doing quasi-illegal things again to stop the badguys! Plenty, plenty of good action and man are those transformations a pain in the butt!

And damn is Rella one of the better-looking blondes in anime! That despite the fact she does look like an updated, bleach-blonde version of Fujiko, too. Well, I've always liked Fujiko so---!

I'm surprised this hasn't been remastered for Blu ray but given the date of the original release (2003) they probably still hadn't transitioned to hi-def digital completely, either... I wonder what that means in itself for the possibilities of a remastered Hi-Def upscale... Hmm.
For the budget-conscious, the fact that it's a sub-only release should mean it won't be THAT expensive. I thought Kousigariga(? msp) was reasonably priced and that was Blu ray, subtitled. Decent show, too...

The show did get released in Italy on DVD from what I remember. Monkey Punch/Lupin III is very popular in parts of Europe...
I wish more of the American anime fans would get a clue about Lupin III!
I know it took me way too long to see the appeal of the character but I was lucky to get the Pioneer and Funimation releases before those went out of print. Discotek has slowed a bit on their Lupin III releases.
Still waiting to see if Lupin: The Fuma Conspiracy will ever by remastered for Blu ray. It's still one of the better Lupin features whether the Japanese fans like it or not. It's criminal that it's out of print again!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1