• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hasbro's Micronauts Animated Series to Debut in 2019

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Please, please, please, studio, just follow Bill Manto's run for Marvel comics in the 1980s... Same goes for anything ROM-related, too.
I'm just setting myself up for disappointment, aren't I?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Please, please, please, studio, just follow Bill Manto's run for Marvel comics in the 1980s... Same goes for anything ROM-related, too.
I'm just setting myself up for disappointment, aren't I?

They don’t have the rights to any of the Marvel stuff.

If you’ve seen the complete bile emerging from IDW’s attempts at a Hasbroverse, (it’s the worst combination of social justice whining and blatant product placement) you will realize this will be complete garbage.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Hollywood Reporter posted in December 2015 that Paramount and Hasbro were collaborating for a potential film series with a shared universe combining five Hasbro brands: G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionairies, M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) and ROM. Allspark Pictures, Hasbro's film label, was set to produce the films.

...Note the use of past tense. Razz

Paramount/Hasbro's still (for the moment) doubling down on the GI Joe/MASK crossover, since the looney Transformers 5 didn't stink that "universe" up, but the space-based ROM and Micronauts were being groomed as TF crossovers--
Hard to tell whether this is still last-ditch hoping to stoke the fires, or whether plans have now been downgraded and demoted to a TV version, like Marvel did with the Inhumans.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Sadly I don't have much hope too. I loved the Marvel version, character art, and story lines. This new adaptation had better have animation from heaven if I am going to give it a chance, but with the target audience it will probably be Teen Titans Jr.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:11 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
If you’ve seen the complete bile emerging from IDW’s attempts at a Hasbroverse, (it’s the worst combination of social justice whining and blatant product placement) you will realize this will be complete garbage.

I've been out of comics since around 2000, sadly, and most of what I hear tells me I got out at about the right time.

In my nostalgic opinion, the Marvel version would be pretty hard to beat even without a bunch of social justice worrier stuff. Bill Mantlo was great when it came to building stories around toy lines. "ROM: Spaceknight" was the one I was really into; still have the whole Marvel run.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:43 am Reply with quote
I have doubts this will go well. Those unfamiliar with the series will surely accuse this of being a rip-off of Ant-man. Plus microverse /shrinking series never really last as people get tired of it fast as most of what they see isn't new.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:03 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Sadly I don't have much hope too. I loved the Marvel version, character art, and story lines. This new adaptation had better have animation from heaven if I am going to give it a chance, but with the target audience it will probably be Teen Titans Jr.

Out of Hasbro's upcoming crop of shows, I'd say this one has the potential to be the best. That's solely because it isn't doing that 11-minute episode nonsense that has taken over western animation (even the new Transformers series is going to be in that format).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
I have doubts this will go well. Those unfamiliar with the series will surely accuse this of being a rip-off of Ant-man. Plus microverse /shrinking series never really last as people get tired of it fast as most of what they see isn't new.

I'd be shocked if that were the case considering how many reality TV shows crop up in spite of similar premises and themes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1