• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kakegurui Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nihilistic_Boi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping it doesn't go the original ending route. The current arc of the manga is much better than the one that was adapted in the first season, but there's not enough material even for 12 episodes.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Nihilistic_Person wrote:
Here's hoping it doesn't go the original ending route. The current arc of the manga is much better than the one that was adapted in the first season, but there's not enough material even for 12 episodes.

Didn't the first season already go anime original? At least, I saw an article to that effect. That's part of why I'm kind of surprised it's getting a second season, especially so soon after the first.
scowler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
If only we knew when the first season would be released...
Dandylion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
Nihilistic_Person wrote:

Didn't the first season already go anime original? At least, I saw an article to that effect. That's part of why I'm kind of surprised it's getting a second season, especially so soon after the first.

Maybe there's Netflix pulling the strings from behind the scenes and maybe they will adapt something from "Kakegurui Twin" ... Who knows ...
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
Nihilistic_Person wrote:

Only the last episode was anime-original, so it would be easy enough to either guide the results back to the manga story, or just ignore that episode. Blue Exorcist season 2 rewinds like 8 episodes from the end of season 1 and just hopes you remember exactly what happened in the middle of the season haha.
LeylineRider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
That’s interesting, considering that the bd/dvd sales have been abysmal ( still importing them myself ). Then again, the manga could have gotten a good boost or the works for a second season were already there. So could be varying factors. If true I kinda hope Netflix doesn’t swipe this up too, or would hope they finally get with the program and offer simulcasts.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
How reliable is this website?

SirInqed wrote:
That’s interesting, considering that the bd/dvd sales have been abysmal ( still importing them myself ). Then again, the manga could have gotten a good boost or the works for a second season were already there. So could be varying factors. If true I kinda hope Netflix doesn’t swipe this up too, or would hope they finally get with the program and offer simulcasts.

Haven't we learned not to trust this medium at this point? There's more factors involved than just sales. Just look at Garo. That show's already had 3 series and a movie just based on the popularity of the franchise.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:47 am Reply with quote
SirInqed wrote:

Netflix pays a lot of money for content. As much as some don't want to recognize it, bad physical media sales don't mean a show isn't successful. If this show made money chances are very good it's because of them.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:41 am Reply with quote
I haven’t even seen the first season due to Netflix not releasing it yet. Sad I’m confused, though, as to how they will do this if the first season had an anime original last episode. (Heard via ANN news sources.) Will this second season be all anime original or will the people behind this just pretend that the anime original stuff didn’t exist and just go back to adapting the manga? I guess we will find out soon enough. Despite some complaints I heard about this series, this show ultimately looks like something that it’s number one priority is to simply be crazy and have fun and that’s perfectly fine. I’ve also heard that it succeeds in that department and with this news announcement, I’m even more looking forward to viewing it than before.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:54 am Reply with quote
SirInqed wrote:
That’s interesting, considering that the bd/dvd sales have been abysmal ( still importing them myself ).

I didn't think anyone else here would have imported it. Pleased to hear that there will be more.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:01 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I haven’t even seen the first season due to Netflix not releasing it yet. Sad I’m confused, though, as to how they will do this if the first season had an anime original last episode. (Heard via ANN news sources.) Will this second season be all anime original or will the people behind this just pretend that the anime original stuff didn’t exist and just go back to adapting the manga? I guess we will find out soon enough. Despite some complaints I heard about this series, this show ultimately looks like something that it’s number one priority is to simply be crazy and have fun and that’s perfectly fine. I’ve also heard that it succeeds in that department and with this news announcement, I’m even more looking forward to viewing it than before.

The ending didn't really wrap up the story, it just serves as a nice placeholder. You can get around the last episode without any trouble.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
SirInqed wrote:

Netflix pays a lot of money for content. As much as some don't want to recognize it, bad physical media sales don't mean a show isn't successful. If this show made money chances are very good it's because of them.
People may have their gripe with Netflix and Amazon, for valid reasons. But on the upside, the moment one of them licenses an Anime. That Anime will instantly make back a good amount of their budget, if not all plus profit.
LeylineRider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 am Reply with quote
I’m well aware the physical sales of the anime isn’t the only determining aspect, I did mention there could have been varying factors, I should have clarified that better ( even as some said Netflix could have been one themselves with their deep pockets ) I am still irritated with the way they’ve done things, but if their involvement is leading to potential sequels then that softens the blow somewhat.

@hissatsu01 - I am importing the blurays, and it’s a bit of a challenge as it’s an Avex rerelease and they’ve got that whole ban on international sales of their products. So I’m having Amazon JP send the BDs to a proxy service that then ships to me. It’s costing me a lot more for it, but since I’ve cut back on importing it’s not too terrible since I have fewer shows to concentrate on.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
Reading the last episode of the first season being an anime original. The only thing that really changed was the game being played, the conclusion to the story was still the same as the manga. Most likely because it would have been controversial to show the penalty for the loser of that game in Japanese tv.

On another note, as hyped as I am to get more kakegurui animated, I am concern about the content. I don't see the current manga arc reaching a conclusion any time soon, seeing how it is released monthly. But hey, I think chaika anime got the official ending despite airing before the volume was published, so there is no need to assume it will be and
Original. For certain
UncleDrew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
Not great, not bad. Good to have animes like this always
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2