• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cosplayer Draws Manga About Asperger Syndrome

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick4x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to have a fully-translated version of this out there. I believe the information here would be very useful to people of all languages that struggle to understand Asperger's (and many similar issues).
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Nick4x wrote:
I'd love to have a fully-translated version of this out there. I believe the information here would be very useful to people of all languages that struggle to understand Asperger's (and many similar issues).

I second this.

It`s good for such things since I hear that there is generally a lack of understanding of mental illness in Asia (Is it non-apparent, no, but many things common here are still strange there).
MJKS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Good for her. Takes courage to do.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Nick4x wrote:

I could not agree more.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I also have Asperger's and I'm happy someone would make this.
Nico_Astray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I think I was suspected as having asperger when I was about 10. I never received a full diagnosis since it would have required months-long testing, but I can symphatize with a lot of these things.
Without unclear instructions I always feel uncomfortable. On another note I have terrible contentration since I always worry about something and it distracts me. I really need to read up on it again.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Because Aspe-chan doens't understand fine nuance, she has trouble when she receives unclear instructions. In particular, she has trouble with words such as "a little," "that," "over there," "properly," and "suitably."

As someone with aspergers, this is so spot on. I've seen western tv try to portray aspergers before and they ALWAYS get it so wrong. But this particular part that I quoted, I have to comment on specifically. This is a question for you normal people:

Why can't you just give specific instructions? What's wrong with that? It just makes sense. I literally CANNOT understand why people can't just explain exactly what they want. It just sounds like laziness/lack of care to me.

Anyway, I expected this to be inaccurate garbage like all similar attempts I've seen done, but this whole thing is spot-on. Props to Akagi Kuro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
pretty much all the super elitist anime fans have Aspergers. I have aspergers and am almost 26 and I've had to learn to let people have there opinions. When people say avatar is an anime, i just have to pretend i didn't hear them lol.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
Because Aspe-chan doesn't understand fine nuance, she has trouble when she receives unclear instructions. In particular, she has trouble with words such as "a little," "that," "over there," "properly," and "suitably."

As someone with aspergers, this is so spot on.

Why can't you just give specific instructions? What's wrong with that? It just makes sense. I literally CANNOT understand why people can't just explain exactly what they want. It just sounds like laziness/lack of care to me.

this whole thing is spot-on. Props to Akagi Kuro

Same. I have Asperger's as well, and i need people to give me Direct instructions as to what they want. I'm also someone that needs to learn through visual and audio explanations.

even though this says that people with Asperger's have good concentration in certain things and have good memory, I'm the opposite. I have a very crappy memory and my concentration is so-so unless I'm concentrating on a anime, book, video game, or drawing. I don't have anything I'm good at either like some people say people with Asperger's has.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I have AS. While I don't have a nuance issue, all else fits the bill. I have been diagnosed for over a decade now. Praised be the courage of this cosplayer.

And yeah, we're everywhere. Wink Hell, Pokemon's creator is an AS individual.
Sango chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
#854626 wrote:
pretty much all the super elitist anime fans have Aspergers. I have aspergers and am almost 26 and I've had to learn to let people have there opinions. When people say avatar is an anime, i just have to pretend i didn't hear them lol.

That's not entirely true. I'm not an anime elitst and I have Asperger's. I know that everyone has their own opinion on things and that they have things that they do and don't like about series. I actually like listening to other people opinions about the series I do and don't like to see what their take is on that series or to understand why they do or don't like the series.

Though I do have to admit. I am a person that does say "but Avatar/RWBY isn't an anime. It was made in america by american companies." To me, anime is something that was made in japan. Animation or cartoons is what I like to refer to the cartoons and Animations that were made in America. Lol, but that's just me.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Sango chan wrote:
That's not entirely true. I'm not an anime elitst and I have Asperger's.
I think it was meant the other way: the ultra elitists all happen to have Asperger's, not that all people with Asperger's are ultra elitist.
Quote:
even though this says that people with Asperger's have good concentration in certain things and have good memory, I'm the opposite. I have a very crappy memory and my concentration is so-so unless I'm concentrating on a anime, book, video game, or drawing.
Sounds like monomania to me - something that Asperger himself noted about the kids he was studying.
ChrissyC wrote:
It`s good for such things since I hear that there is generally a lack of understanding of mental illness in Asia (Is it non-apparent, no, but many things common here are still strange there).
Autism is a neurological disorder, not a mental illness.
Kougeru wrote:
Given the number of people I've dealt with that can't even follow specific instructions while I'm giving them(I work our company's helpdesk), I'd say most people are completely and utterly incapable of giving them.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I would LOVE a translated version of this. I have Asperger’s, and his hot me like a punch to the gut.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I've wondered before what you would find if you took a survey of, say, MAL users asking if they were on the spectrum. Not just how many, but whether there'd be any shows more or less popular among that subset.

Hellsoldier wrote:
Hell, Pokemon's creator is an AS individual.

I've never been entirely convinced of that -- AFAICT, it comes entirely from a line on an English-language MySpace profile for him that no longer exists. Plausible, though, especially considering some of what he's apparently said about his childhood; I'd be interested if anyone knows of another primary source.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I should have been the first to comment this forum since I HAVE ASPERGER'S SYNDROME. After reading what this manga is about, I can't understand why anyone should react so harshly towards people (or in this case a character) with the same mentally complicated traits as me. I'm glad a story like this exists somewhere in this world to help readers give a deeper simplified understanding of this disorder we were born with.

I wish we could name some famous people with AS.

I also have a pretty good memory myself and I like looking at a lot of cool stuff too including anime/manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3