• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE Begins Streaming English Tanaka-kun is Always Listless Dub

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 am Reply with quote
All I want now is for Sentai to dub their Anime Strike licenses.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:49 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
All I want now is for Sentai to dub their Anime Strike licenses.
Which titles are they? Is that everything that has been on Anime Strike or just select titles.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Which titles are they? Is that everything that has been on Anime Strike or just select titles.

It's a big chunk of them. Pretty much everything minus Noitamina shows and that other block Amazon bought streaming rights from. It includes shows like Kabukibu and Made in Abyss. Sentai has them all listed on their site.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

It's a big chunk of them. Pretty much everything minus Noitamina shows and that other block Amazon bought streaming rights from. It includes shows like Kabukibu and Made in Abyss. Sentai has them all listed on their site.

I do know which Anime Strike titles Sentai needs to dub: Sword Oratoria, Made in Abyss, Princess Principal, Land of the Lustrous and Umaru-chan R. Armed Girl's Machiavellism, Grimoire of Zero, Love and Lies, Just Because! and Girls' Last Tour might also get dubs.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I do know which Anime Strike titles Sentai needs to dub: Sword Oratoria, Made in Abyss, Princess Principal, Land of the Lustrous and Umaru-chan R. Armed Girl's Machiavellism, Grimoire of Zero, Love and Lies, Just Because! and Girls' Last Tour might also get dubs.

I want mainly Just Because! And Hitorijime my hero, since these are the ones I'd actually buy, but Sentai actually dubbing more shows is always a good thing. Before Sentai picking up a show was scary because 90% of them went straight to sub-only. They seem to have stopped doing that.

I'm also hopeful for Hitorijime since they liked and responded to my comments quite a few times now on Twitter. I even got the *this request as been heard*.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Oh I really want Made in Abyss and Princess Principal dubbed, out of the 2, I want the latter more, since it is set in an English speaking country(just don't get Monica Rial doing her god awful English accent again).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
but Sentai actually dubbing more shows is always a good thing. Before Sentai picking up a show was scary because 90% of them went straight to sub-only. They seem to have stopped doing that.

If you look at their catalog there was a time (2012-2013) when Sentai dubbed almost 70% of their shows. Then they cut back their dubbing output to around 30%. In the last year they have upped their dubs rate to about 50%
crazytoledo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
but Sentai actually dubbing more shows is always a good thing. Before Sentai picking up a show was scary because 90% of them went straight to sub-only. They seem to have stopped doing that.

If you look at their catalog there was a time (2012-2013) when Sentai dubbed almost 70% of their shows. Then they cut back their dubbing output to around 30%. In the last year they have upped their dubs rate to about 50%

Yeah, I'm pretty sure what they do nowadays is just dub things that were somewhat popular during simulcasts and that they think will sell. While shows that were relatively dead on arrival and unlikely to push many units get a subs only release. They've actually more or less said this on their social media accounts as they typically respond to "you should dub XXXX" by telling them they will if there's enough demand.

I think a lot of those titles people listed above will likely get a dub eventually due to their popularity. Sentai isn't anywhere near as fast as Funimation is with dubs, though.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
crazytoledo wrote:
Sentai isn't anywhere near as fast as Funimation is with dubs, though.

If you are just talking about how quick dubs are produced, Funimation is the best at it because of their broadcast dubs. If you are talking about disc releases with dubs, Sentai usually releases their disc releases faster than Funimation.
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:37 am Reply with quote
9 comments, none of them talking about Tanaka is always listless
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1