• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Brother's Husband Show's Main Visual Recreates Manga Cover

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
That's some good casting, at least visually speaking.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
I really REALLY hope this gets a North American release! The manga is phenomenal!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:14 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That's some good casting, at least visually speaking.

I expecting this to be absolutely hilarious for native English-speakers to watch given the usual quality of “Foreign” actingin JDramas.

Most of the time it’s like they just grab random tourists off the street.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
Fantastic casting. Not sure how much content they'll be able to cover in 3 episodes, but I hope it goes well.
Corfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:12 am Reply with quote
I gotta say, it's still a little bizarre seeing a Gengoroh Tagame story being made into a live action show. Never would've seen it coming based on his usual works haha.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:42 am Reply with quote
"Recreates the cover..." Wait, that image doesn't look quite right, they changed the heart tee shirt to a rainbow one. There's a lot more meaning behind a rainbow one, sure, but isn't a heart shirt more important to this story in particular?

"We get it so you get it. He's gay." Also, he was in love but we'll leave that to your imagination.
There's only so far we're willing to go.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
Must be really hard finding tall sizes in Japan, that guy's shirts are a little on the short size.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zahooee
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
"Recreates the cover..." Wait, that image doesn't look quite right, they changed the heart tee shirt to a rainbow one. There's a lot more meaning behind a rainbow one, sure, but isn't a heart shirt more important to this story in particular?

Not to be pedantic, but that isn't a heart on the original cover. It's a pink triangle, which has it's own, disturbing, connotations given the context.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

"We get it so you get it. He's gay." Also, he was in love but we'll leave that to your imagination.
There's only so far we're willing to go.

Even Japanese production committees can give little squat in terms of caring about adaptation faithfulness.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I think it looks adorable, and the rainbow tee is appropriate (the upside-down triangle may have been reclaimed, but it's hard not to feel some negative associations with it).
Emdykay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I would assume they went for the rainbow because it is much more recognizable and more easily identifiable by a broader audience, not versed in the cultures symbolism, than the pink triangle is.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
Fortunately there are people in the audience to point out editorial decisions and provide the necessary points of reference. The original author, the creator of the emulated cover image, considered and understood the connotations of the pink triangle when applying that triangle on a T-shirt worn by a character on his cover. A book aimed at the same audience as the adaptation. Hopefully the live-action director understood those intentions and the trust placed in the audience by the author who did use that particular triangle.*

The central trio here squarely positioned in front of a Japanese family home. Do not need exact carbon copies but do hope they're not aiming for "close enough" in the aspects that truly matter.

* Mike Flanagan is drawn wearing a pink triangle shirt in two of the Tankōbon illustrations (Volumes 1 & 4 ) while rainbow flag symbolism was incorporated on one of the other shirts (Image used for Vol. 2).

The Pre Order page, for the September 18, 2018 release of the second two-in-one English translation of the manga, has no illustration yet.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Even Japanese production committees can give little squat in terms of caring about adaptation faithfulness.

Meh, or they treat it like a play, as Toho does with many of their live action adaptations, where acting is prioritized over much detail. But in this case, it's interesting that a fat white guy was actually found for the part, and a sumo wrestler to boot. I would have expected a Japanese comedian in a blonde wig and fat suit.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 will air later tonight, Sunday 22:00 (JST), on NHK's BS Premium channel. The replay of episode 1 started at 16:30 on the same channel. Hopefully a rerun of the series at "prime time" on NHK's terrestrial channel is also planned.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:24 am Reply with quote
Episode three aired to complete the live-action series. spoiler[Mike Flanagan wore his pink triangle shirt.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1