• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Oops! All Quick Answers!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, on the Pokémon thing, the dub these days is actually extremely faithful, dialogue-wise. They only really change Team Rocket's lines... in a way that, from where I'm standing, just makes things harder for other translations because of the abundance of puns. Really, the only significant change the dub makes aside from names and TR dialogue is changing the music... and I seriously doubt that has anything to do with making the show more "accessible" to international audiences being that a lot of Shinji Miyazaki's music was kept up through Diamond & Pearl and I'm pretty sure nobody had any issue with it then... It's a shame really; The music is the one thing that to me keeps the English dub of Pokémon from being an acceptable means of watching the show. Just, sorry, but the fact that they completely scrapped the soundtrack to I Choose You (which was literally nothing but remixes of old themes that would be just as nostalgic to international audiences as they would be to the Japanese) is frankly inexcusable. Changing Mezase Pokémon Master to a remix of the iconic original dub opening? Fair, that makes perfect sense. Scrapping Oracìon? Much as it pains me, I can understand why they did that. Scrapping everything else? Now you're just being greedy and trying to make foreign licensors pay you more to use your music rather than Miyazaki's. And sorry Ed Goldfarb, but from what I've heard of you, you're nowhere near Miyazaki's level.[/b]
Brand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't say how big the Japanese table top RPG scene is but there has been several Japanese systems translated into English the last few years.

I know there are others (I am sure I have a few more at home I am just not remembering right now). So, with that many translated into English, I'd guess there has to be some sort of decent pen & paper scene over there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Regarding live action, I find the Japanese just as unrealistic as anime. In fact, live action drama is rather similar to a drama genre in anime likewise with period live action compared to anime. I mean the live action GTO TV show is no better at being more realistic than the anime. IMO the only medium that gives a good representation of normal everyday mundane speech is simple real people footage--news interviews, youtube people-on-the-street interviews, documentaries. I'd say exactly the same for English--dramas (e.g. prime time drams and especially soap operas) do not represent realistic everyday speech either.

However, even if non-fiction live footage is a good representation of the majority of the way people speak, that is not a complete representation either, with the minority to be found in fiction ironically. Unless you get live honne footage rather than the usual tatemae.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Maybe years and years down the pipe someone will think of releasing Pokemon in an uncut sub. But most probably never which is a shame considering how much localization butchering was done on the first movie. At best you'd have to depend on fansubbed videos online of it. Though I did find some dubious DVDs from Malaysia that carry the Japanese version though. Though I wouldn't recommend that.
OjaruFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is very little benefit to making the original version available, which would only satisfy a handful of otaku but runs a real risk of making a handful of pearl-clutching parents VERY LOUDLY upset.

Fair enough, but can't the "pearl-clutching parents" just simply make their kids switch back to the edited dub if they (the parents) don't like the content in the original version?
Cave

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
That's extremely disappointing about AniUta. I was just thinking about it recently since I NEED this service and have been waiting for a service like it for a long time now. iTunes just doesn't have enough selection...

Well, whatever. They just won't get my money. *shrugs* and I'll still find ways to get the music.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I've long wanted to learn Okinawa- or Tsugaru-ben just to go to Tokyo and confuse people. Of course, I'll never do so because that's a lot of work just to troll a few people on a vacation. Come to think of it, what are some good examples of the various "nonstandard" dialects in media?

This is also why I kind of want to learn Wenzhounese or Min Chinese and Ladino.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is very little benefit to making the original version available, which would only satisfy a handful of otaku but runs a real risk of making a handful of pearl-clutching parents VERY LOUDLY upset.

How many kids/parents would be purchasing uncut box sets rather than the cheaper releases marketed at their age group?

As for streaming, 4kids streamed Sonic X uncut for years while the show was also running on Saturday mornings and I don't recall any complaints.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan wrote:
Quote:

Fair enough, but can't the "pearl-clutching parents" just simply make their kids switch back to the edited dub if they (the parents) don't like the content in the original version?

They aren't necessarily clutching their pearls because their kids are watching...

Many times the mere existence of such a thing is sufficient. Not in the least because only the hardest core of the pearl clutchers keep their kids in a dungeon and absolutely control every second of every second of their life. Or to put it another way, they may be misguided, but they aren't stupid. They know if it's out there, kids will find it and a way to watch it.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Honestly, on the Pokémon thing, the dub these days is actually extremely faithful, dialogue-wise. They only really change Team Rocket's lines... in a way that, from where I'm standing, just makes things harder for other translations because of the abundance of puns. Really, the only significant change the dub makes aside from names and TR dialogue is changing the music... and I seriously doubt that has anything to do with making the show more "accessible" to international audiences being that a lot of Shinji Miyazaki's music was kept up through Diamond & Pearl and I'm pretty sure nobody had any issue with it then... It's a shame really; The music is the one thing that to me keeps the English dub of Pokémon from being an acceptable means of watching the show. Just, sorry, but the fact that they completely scrapped the soundtrack to I Choose You (which was literally nothing but remixes of old themes that would be just as nostalgic to international audiences as they would be to the Japanese) is frankly inexcusable. Changing Mezase Pokémon Master to a remix of the iconic original dub opening? Fair, that makes perfect sense. Scrapping Oracìon? Much as it pains me, I can understand why they did that. Scrapping everything else? Now you're just being greedy and trying to make foreign licensors pay you more to use your music rather than Miyazaki's. And sorry Ed Goldfarb, but from what I've heard of you, you're nowhere near Miyazaki's level.[/b]

The music change is nothing compared to the complete absence of Misty and Brock, the "rainbow hero" nonsense, and when Pikachu spoke in an apparent hallucination.

I was insulted by the part where Pikachu talked. I understand it was supposed to represent its bond with Ash, but it was still unnecessary. Did the people at OLM really think we were that stupid? It was really hard to take I Choose You seriously.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan wrote:
Quote:

Of course they <could>, but that is missing the point. Like any other case of "moral panic", logic and reason really don't matter. All it takes is for a busybody type of person to accidentally see something that they consider offensive and boom, the gossip mill starts, "concerned parents" start messaging each other, and pokemon gets a bad rap. Most of the "pearl clutchers" have zero firsthand experience anyway, they just parrot whatever scary things that they read.

DerekL1963 makes a very good point too. For some of these people "just don't watch/buy it" isn't good enough. They know they could simply avoid it if they don't like it, but they want whatever the scary thing is (anime, video games, role-playing games like D&D, rock music, etc.) banned period, for everyone.
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Cave wrote:
That's extremely disappointing about AniUta. I was just thinking about it recently since I NEED this service and have been waiting for a service like it for a long time now. iTunes just doesn't have enough selection...

Well, whatever. They just won't get my money. *shrugs* and I'll still find ways to get the music.

So it's actually fairly easy to use AniUta outside of Japan. You have to sideload the app using your favorite method, but after that, it bills through iTunes/Google Play, so you don't need a Japanese card or account. I've had it for a few months and they've been glad to take my money. You do need to know some Japanese to navigate, but you can probably get by just knowing Hiragana to browse by show name.

That said, I think one big reason AniUta isn't available in the US (yet?) is the lack of desktop app/site. Granted, I might just be an old fogey, but I don't think most of the western audience, who are used to using Spotify and the like, enjoys creating their libraries and playlists entirely through a mobile app. And personally, I am usually listening to music when I'm on the PC, so I hate wasting my phone battery, but I'm not sure whether or not that's typical these days (Like I said, old fogey).

The lack of Sony music is also probably really painful for trying to attract western listeners, since that encompass all the music from Naruto, Bleach and almost everything else from Aniplex.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Why would kids be watching uncut, subtitled box sets, though? Especially if it has the word "uncut" in big letters on it and not put in the kids section.

At one point Netflix had the uncut, Japanese versions of Digimon alongside the dub, one placed in the anime section and one placed in the kids section, and there was no fuss. Granted, Digimon isn't as big as it once was.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Definitely agree on the music front, losing Relic Song for the AmourShipping theme, Hawlucha's theme, and so much more game music put me off the dub far more than any voice or animation tweak ever could.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Honestly, on the Pokémon thing, the dub these days is actually extremely faithful, dialogue-wise. They only really change Team Rocket's lines... in a way that, from where I'm standing, just makes things harder for other translations because of the abundance of puns. Really, the only significant change the dub makes aside from names and TR dialogue is changing the music

I haven't watched the dub in many years, but have heard there's been a number of cuts changes in Sun & Moon besides music (The running joke of Mimikyu 'killing' Nyarth seems the most common) Perhaps since Disney is airing it now it's more strict.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
Why would kids be watching uncut, subtitled box sets, though? Especially if it has the word "uncut" in big letters on it and not put in the kids section.

At one point Netflix had the uncut, Japanese versions of Digimon alongside the dub, one placed in the anime section and one placed in the kids section, and there was no fuss. Granted, Digimon isn't as big as it once was.

The subbed Digimon I saw on Hulu had atrocious subtitles, like they were written by an ESL. They also used dub-terms, much like Yu-Gi-Oh's sub releases on Crunchyroll. If Pocket Monsters ever does get streamed, I imagine they'd use Americanized names as well.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4