• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Girlish Number

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:38 am Reply with quote
I remember watching some episodes of this back when it was coming out; maybe i'll get back to finishing it sometime. Shame there's no english dub, even if i havne't been all that impressed with Sentai's dub work as a whole. There are some shows that i watch subbed that i get excited imagining how the english dub would sound (Like Konosuba).
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I remember watching some episodes of this back when it was coming out; maybe i'll get back to finishing it sometime. Shame there's no english dub, even if i havne't been all that impressed with Sentai's dub work as a whole. There are some shows that i watch subbed that i get excited imagining how the english dub would sound (Like Konosuba).

It's sentai they dub half to less than half of their licenses. It really sucks for people who prefer dubs. I'm hoping they finally see the light of day if their simuldub initiative on hidive works out
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For what it's worth, she reminds me a little of Bender from Futurama

I'll make my own anime, with blackjack and hookers! Laughing

Was a fun show, I really liked Chitose as a character but I think the series was a bit too kind to her in the end. It ended on a somewhat positive notes, but really Chitose as essentially no future in the industry, there's thousands of more talented people banging on the door to get in. The show kinda ended up alluding to it but never took it the full way which is a bit disappointing, like it ended up short of finishing it's though.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
A YouTuber called Digibro made a huge deal about Girlish Number, so I went to watched it, as I had originally skipped over it. And honestly I didn't think it was worth it, the cynicism felt rather tame, and it didn't even touch much on how hard the industry is for animators. And the characters felt more like Anime like Anime characters, rather than voice actresses. Is Seiyus Life good? I may give that a try.

I didn't know Joe had a dub, is it one of those south Asian dubs?
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
A YouTuber called Digibro made a huge deal about Girlish Number, so I went to watched it, as I had originally skipped over it. And honestly I didn't think it was worth it, the cynicism felt rather tame, and it didn't even touch much on how hard the industry is for animators. And the characters felt more like Anime like Anime characters, rather than voice actresses. Is Seiyus Life good? I may give that a try.

Considering that Girlish Number could have spent even more time developing each of the various voice actresses, it's unsurprising that it didn't "touch much on how hard the industry is for animators." That would have been a different show (for example, the also excellent Shirobako.) From your comment I don't understand your opinion or what you were even trying to get out of the show, or any other, sorry, so it's nearly impossible to answer the question "Is Seiyuu's Life good?" in a way that would help you know whether or not you wanted to watch it. It's certainly not cynical enough for you, based on your comment.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Considering that Girlish Number could have spent even more time developing each of the various voice actresses, it's unsurprising that it didn't "touch much on how hard the industry is for animators." That would have been a different show (for example, the also excellent Shirobako.) From your comment I don't understand your opinion or what you were even trying to get out of the show, or any other, sorry, so it's nearly impossible to answer the question "Is Seiyuu's Life good?" in a way that would help you know whether or not you wanted to watch it. It's certainly not cynical enough for you, based on your comment.
Hmm that's a fair point, the thing with the show, is that it was sold to me as "Shirobako, but cynical" and it really wasn't, I know that's not fully the shows fault, and I don't think just being cynical is a quality. But if it is not that, then what is the selling point, some girls who work as VAs and hate it? I thought it would be VAs, playing VAs. Not VAs playing anime characters. I know Shirobako sort of does this as well, but that was part of a cute girls having jobs series, and it was trying to have an optimistic view. This tries to have a jaded view of it all, yet the characters seem like the ones they are criticising being cast as, if I recall one even says they hate Moe.

The reason I asked about Seiyuu's Life, is I know that it is based on a manga by a real VA, so I was wondering if it was a good alternative.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I liked Seiyuu's Life more than Gi(a)rlish Number personally. It seems more coherent in what progression as a voice actor can be like. If anything, When Gi(a)rlish Number finished, I felt that hardly any of the characters, especially Chitose, had made any sort of significant change. Whereas with Sore ga Seiyuu's ending I could see the trio's improvement and how far each had come (well, 2 out of 3 really since one was a prodigy) after their ups and downs.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Is Seiyus Life good? I may give that a try.

Seiyu's Life is good if you're looking for a show that's not too deep. It's largely sort of snippets of learning what it's like working on anime, as the main character is given advice by established voice actors. It's quite cute and fun but not ground breaking. It's more positive and optimistic than Girlish Number. The characters in it feel (and look) a lot like anime characters, so I wouldn't expect more grounded characters than GN has. I don't know which one is more realistic. Personally I feel like GN shows more the troubles of being a VA than SL, but both deal with the idea of quitting if you don't get the next role, having bit parts etc.

One of the best bits of Seiyu's Life was when one of the character's was asked to make her character sound like she had bigger boobs and they're just like ????? Uh??

Anyway, I watched GN a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty funny and I liked how stuck up Chitose was. But plot wise nothing really happened. Chitose stayed horrible. She barely seemed to improve. The 2 experienced VAs developed slightly. The other girls didn't matter. The director didn't learn anything. The anime they made still sucked. I don't know if that was supposed to be realistic in that "well some people just don't change", or if it was just bad writing/lack of episodes.
It was fun though, and I loved the PV for the anime they were making, and when they added the random nude scenes in it just to get the fanboys in. I like how aware of the industry and its faults were, and how it mocked that a lot.
But I don't think it's a show that will really stick in my head, or that I'd particularly want to go back and watch.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
" I'm honestly surprised that there's no English dub on offer, as this seems like the kind of series that a good dub crew could really have fun with."

I'm not really surprised. I actually find it a good choice. The topic of the show is voice acting in JAPAN. It's fairly different than things in the US, and so doesn't really translate well. Loved this anime tho

As for Seiyuu's Life...the best part about that was really famous seiyuus playing themselves. enjoyable watch tho.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I didn't know Joe had a dub, is it one of those south Asian dubs?

Digibro is a crock of shit, if i’m Gonna be perfectly honest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1