• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games: Kirby Star Allies

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
We're getting a real Castlevania shortly...it just happens to be called "Bloodstained" instead.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
I downloaded a demo of Star Allies on my Switch a couple weeks ago. I might still get it, but I say that if you really want a good game for the Switch, get Super Mario Odyssey. It's one of the best Mario games I've played in a while, and it definitely deserves all the acclaim it got.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Sega: I think it's great Sakura Wars is getting a new entry since forever ago. Ichiro and the girls have been surviving purely through crossovers all this time, so putting the series back into the spotlight is something many a fan in Japan have wanted for years. Now if only the series had been more popular here...

Kirby Star Allies: Maybe it's time they try going in a different direction with Kirby, like maybe an RPG with different difficulty levels. It seems Star Allies didn't really impress anyone, which is a bit sad to hear.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Kirby Star Allies: Maybe it's time they try going in a different direction with Kirby, like maybe an RPG with different difficulty levels. It seems Star Allies didn't really impress anyone.

As someone who played the demo, I agree. I wasn't very impressed with it being yet another side-scroller. Mario may be Nintendo's mascot, but he can't be the only character for them to experiment with.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Kirby Star Allies definitely works a lot better if you have at least one person to play it with. I'd still say it's not like, one of the top five Kirbys or anything, but it's far from an alarming misfire warranting a franchise redirection.

(On that note, for my money the best recent single player Kirby is Planet Robobot - giving Kirby a robot almost seemed weird, but it works so well you'll start wondering why he didn't always have a robot)
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
We're getting a real Castlevania shortly...it just happens to be called "Bloodstained" instead.

You would figure after Mighty No.9 people wouldn't stop saying things like that.
cress77

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Is Ys VIII really worth it on pc though?I see a lot negative reviews about the port.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:41 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

I second that.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Kirby Star Allies definitely works a lot better if you have at least one person to play it with. I'd still say it's not like, one of the top five Kirbys or anything, but it's far from an alarming misfire warranting a franchise redirection.

I wasn't saying it was an alarming misfire. I merely threw RPG out there as a suggestion, as it's the one genre they haven't really tried Kirby out with (the Kirby Quest sub-game in Kirby Mass Attack doesn't count).

Quote:
(On that note, for my money the best recent single player Kirby is Planet Robobot - giving Kirby a robot almost seemed weird, but it works so well you'll start wondering why he didn't always have a robot)

I can definitely agree there. Robobot was, and still is, ridiculous levels of fun.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:08 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
varmintx wrote:

You would figure after Mighty No.9 people wouldn't stop saying things like that.

Did you mean "would?" One failure, or in fact, any other crowd-funded game's failure or success, has practically no relevance to the failure or success of this one outside of idiots erroneously prejudging it in such a manner.
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
or the folks who missed the developer change over
cddb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
best game news column.....I <3 Heidi
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Did you mean "would?"

Arghhhh.

varmintx wrote:

One failure, or in fact, any other crowd-funded game's failure or success, has practically no relevance to the failure or success of this one outside of idiots erroneously prejudging it in such a manner.

That was actually not my point my thing is when say people say things like "this game or that game is going to be a better X than X". Why does a game with similar elements have to be lauded as being a better versionof something instead of just being it's own thing. It's that kind hyping up that'll wind up looking awkward if the game doesn't actually do it's elements as good or better than what ever game it's being likened to.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see what you mean. To be fair to myself, I've seen your comment presented in the manner I read it as before, so you'll have to forgive my incorrect assumption.

Also, my comment was meant to be more of an insult to the mobile game and Konami as I, and quite justifiably so, have absolutely no faith in them anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1