• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:52 am Reply with quote
Welp, it's like it never went away. I'm really liking this darker tone to the story. Very Happy
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
It's everything I wanted it to be and more, definitely worth the wait. Episode 2 carried so much energy and the speech Tessa gave gets total respect from me. Really hope it finishes as great as it started.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing, hoping, that from the picture of them next to a cruise ship, that this will contain a lot indoor action scenes? Because those CG Mechs are distractingly bad, and having to see them and the car non-stop would be painful.

On another note I love everything else, the character designs have been able to stay roughly the same, but also look a bit more polished, the backgrounds and lighting are great, the script is well written, very similar in tone to TSR.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
CG for the military vehicles and mechs look alright so far, but that car chase scene....
Come on Xebec, Im not expecting Kyo-ani level of quality but i do expect something.
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm guessing, hoping, that from the picture of them next to a cruise ship, that this will contain a lot indoor action scenes? Because those CG Mechs are distractingly bad, and having to see them and the car non-stop would be painful.

Nope, assuming this stays true to the source material, expect at least 2 episodes of mech combat per arc (every four episodes).

Also that picture of them next to the cruise ship is from the Dancing Very Merry Christmas arc (the one that got the audio drama) and takes place before Invisible Victory. I don't know why ANN is using that pic for IV since its pretty clear we're skipping the DMVC arc.
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I'm still not sure why they keep using he cruise ship pic for FMP!IV. The cruise ship arc was covered in book 6, and this season is starting with book 7. As much as I loved that arc, it's much more light-hearted than the rest of the series from here on out, and I guess they were worried that that would give the audience the wrong impression.
To answer your question, no, there won't be many indoor scenes.

I think it's a bit harsh to call the CG mechs "distractingly bad." They're not as good as TSR's, but the only time I thought they looked bad was in episode 1 when Fowler's AS was walking toward the plane. Otherwise, I've been pleasantly surprised by the CG mechs. The CG in the car chase scene was pretty bad at times, but I can't remember there being any more car chases, so we shouldn't have to worry about that.

I don't consider saying what isn't in the story to be spoilers, btw.

Edit: I guess I'm a low typist.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Considering most of the opening is CG mech, I don't think so.

Overall the first two episodes are pretty much like the previous seasons. I still find that it's a solid B show, it does what it tries to do reasonably well but nothing is really wowing me. It's the equivalent of a Michael Bay movie a la japonaise (I'm pretty sure you could adapt the entire thing for the american audience with very little tweak).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
FMP IV has had an amazing start. It is to me easily the best show of the season. It is doing all I want from this franchise: explosive action, tension, intense emotions, romance.
Marzan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I’m enjoying this immensely. Like the OP said, it’s like it never went away. Interestingly, the humorous side of FMP seems to really have been relegated and I guess Kurtz will be the shows comic relief.
Any word on how it’s doing in Japan? From what I can read in other Western forums, younger audiences are not too impressed. Is the nostalgia factor clouding our perception of this season?
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I’m pretty much on the exact same page as the reviewer. Damn, Tessa’s a badass. Loving it so far and it’s easily one of my most anticipated to watch this season. Very Happy

Marzan wrote:
From what I can read in other Western forums, younger audiences are not too impressed. Is the nostalgia factor clouding our perception of this season?

Coming from a 19 year old (Is that considered part of the younger audience because I’m not sure what is the average age audience in this fandom) noob to the franchise, I can confidently confirm that it’s not nostalgia clouding our judgement. I only just started watching this franchise this year and I’ve had a blast with it so far. I’ll admit that that was a concern for me going into it based on looking at its history, but everything about this franchise has me very engaged, especially the characters. Hooray for stories holding up to this day! Smile
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
pwnagemaster wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I'm still not sure why they keep using he cruise ship pic for FMP!IV. The cruise ship arc was covered in book 6, and this season is starting with book 7. As much as I loved that arc, it's much more light-hearted than the rest of the series from here on out, and I guess they were worried that that would give the audience the wrong impression.

I think the decision to skip DMVC was made so that they could fit the rest of FMP into 2 cours (yes I'm still holding out for 24 episodes) without having to make any significant deviations from the source material. I went back and checked FMP! and TSR, and when you cut out all the episodes based on the short stories or anime original material it takes 4-5 episodes to cover each volume/arc. There are currently 6 volumes left (including IV's current arc) and if Xebec plans on giving each volume 4 episodes then that gives us exactly 24 episodes.

I like DVMC, but its easily the least important volume out of the ones that haven't been adapted yet, and does very little to advance the story. Shoji Gatoh said that DVMC was meant to keep fans occupied while he figured out how to advance the main story.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
pwnagemaster wrote:
[quote="MarshalBanana"I'm still not sure why they keep using he cruise ship pic for FMP!IV. The cruise ship arc was covered in book 6, and this season is starting with book 7. As much as I loved that arc, it's much more light-hearted than the rest of the series from here on out, and I guess they were worried that that would give the audience the wrong impression.

I think it's a bit harsh to call the CG mechs "distractingly bad." They're not as good as TSR's, but the only time I thought they looked bad was in episode 1 when Fowler's AS was walking toward the plane. Otherwise, I've been pleasantly surprised by the CG mechs. The CG in the car chase scene was pretty bad at times, but I can't remember there being any more car chases, so we shouldn't have to worry about that.
Thanks for explaining the cruise ship, I was thinking there was a plot point about it being taken over. The reason I said the Mechs are distracting, is because whenever they are on-screen, except for maybe when they are not moving, you can't help but notice them. I really wish i could contact the director and ask him nicely if they could go back to using 2D Mechs next season.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Thanks for explaining the cruise ship, I was thinking there was a plot point about it being taken over. The reason I said the Mechs are distracting, is because whenever they are on-screen, except for maybe when they are not moving, you can't help but notice them.

This is a mecha series, so noticing them is kinda the whole point, isn't it?

(Sorry, I know that's not what you meant, but given the way you worded this, I couldn't resist.)

Given what I've heard about the DVMC story, I wouldn't be surprised if that popped up as an OVA mini-series at some point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Maciste

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Any word on how it’s doing in Japan??

From what I've gathered over at a notorious board for Japanese animation, the numbers (pre-order points) are surprisingly high.
Crext

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I didn't like the second episode at all. It had too much of the same faults the newest Star Wars Movie had.

The actions wasn't thought out, as a matter of fact I felt it was a poorly executed Michael Bay movie. I'm sorry, but this anime clearly took a darker path and a more serious one, and with that comes the need to take the combat somewhat serious.

The shooting scene was so bad. Let's start with the unlimited magazines for our main character, I guess he kept hiding enough mags for an entire battalion in his sneakers, even after exiting the car. I'm also surprised not more by-standing victims are shown as they'd basically be mowing down complete streets of peoples at times, but never mind that. I'm also assuming they wanted them dead rather than capture them considering the fight(?). This doesn't add up with how they slowly approached them before the car chase started, despite pros easily being able to shot something from 200 meters away easily, and that walking out in sight just endangers yourself (when you could have hidden in the nearby forest and even shot them by surprise). This of course is silly anyways as the aim of these guys are on par with Episode 4 storm troopers, and they will never hit their mark regardless of how an easy shot it is. The fact that not a single one of them even threw a grenade on some of those spots (you bring a rocket launcher, then you sure as puffers bring HE-grenades!) is beyond me. Anyways, let's move on.

Then we have that ridiculous car fight. I sure hope they explain to us in the next episode that they were actually driving a transformer, because the beating that car took was far beyond the limits of any military vehicle, never mind a civilian model. Also, from where the bullets hit the car they would both be dead several times over, and from where he hit their cars they would be dead more often too. The one shot one kill formula seemed to only apply when it was convenient. Also if you get into a car fight, then you don't' keep crashing into the enemy nilly villy, you break last second and turn into them (do a police tackle) in order to get them out of bound. A professional soldier would know this.

Then he failed to notice the guy with a freaking stinger missile launcher, not to mention that same guy didn't bother taking the chopper down before it had mowed down most of his team. Even in the light that the smoke signal clearly gave it away that a chopper might land there, and that you should have been able to see it miles away with their resources, and minutes before it lands with eye-sight alone.

*breaths out*

Miss Commander wanted to be seen as strong and in control, but you got a guy clearly dedicated to mutiny at the most crucial of times (they don't even got time to be standing around like that tbh.). Firing a bullet right down into a concrete wall under you like that would ricochet right back at you, she basically shot herself in the foot, literary. If you wanted to go this dark with blowing the whole town up, having soldier kid walking away from his own gun victims (which was the right call, given the situation) and terrorists abducting young girls as collateral, then you sure as heck should have had Miss Commander shoot the traitor instead (or at the very least put in a cell). However, I assume, they tried to make her come off as likeable while commanding. The only thing I liked about that scene was her message of not being taken lightly "just because she can be cute/are a princess type", which is a logical message for her to give, and if played up right would have been a good scene. HOWEVER the guy in question didn't mention any such thing, and instead wanted to give her over because that would save their lives considering they knew that they were about to go up against something they weren't equipped for (kinda like storming a tank with assault rifles). It is as if the directors had assumed that we, the audience, didn't have any respect for her because she was/is cute, and that came off as unwelcomed "projected-bias on the viewer" elements to me. This thing is scary as you'd sub-consciously start to scan for other political correct BS you might see in some Hollywood movies, that prioritize some message rather than what logically fits the story. I swear, that traitor better not have been spared just because he was the team's dedicated LGBTQ2S+ member. "We need your skills" my butter bacon butt! I demand blood!!! *rage mode off* Maybe, just maybe they can redeem themselves by having him court marshaled afterwards and that she was bluffing about letting him off the hook.

In short I hope they add someone with some military knowledge on their advisory board or something, or at least focus more on the mech fights as those don't really have to adapt to reality in the same way.

There probably were more stuff, but I've forgotten about it. I basically summarized the whole episode anyways at this rate.

TL:DR
Sosuke is a magician
Teresa shot herself.
Kaname is dead
Multicultural teams are ok with traitors
Renasviel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:57 pm Reply with quote
@Crext

Sosuke is a magician

He was shown stockpiling guns earlier. Plus, he probably has a bunch hidden on his person.

Teresa shot herself.

The novel states that she fired it at a specific angle so it bounced back and hit the wall, missing everyone. She is able to calculate this, because she is a Whispered.

Kaname is dead

You are forgetting Amalgam's structure. They are not one team. They are a network, with tangibly related goals. There are differences of opinion within that network, and in this case, the ones who planned this assault were clearly fine with Kaname dead or alive. They approached slowly to ambush, and when that failed, they shot to kill. Don't make the mistake of thinking that Amalgam are all on the same page. They're not. I also don't think that the people employed were highly skilled - this was one of many assaults staged across the world, and Amalgam had much bigger fish to fry here. I believe the car was reinforced, too.

Multicultural teams are ok with traitors

I don't know where you got this impression from. Mutiny was clearly not acceptable. At the same time, Tessa is aware, as is Belfangau, that tensions are high right now. Tessa dealt with it in the best way possible - put him back in line without having to kill him. Shooting him there after he submitted would have been senseless, and likely would have demoralised everyone there. In fact, that might have inspired a large scale mutiny. And no, this isn't PC bullshit. Tessa throughout the series has grown into her role, but clearly not everyone has seen it. These are small moments where Tessa is developing further into that role, that's all. Don't forget, also, that Mithril is a Mercenary group. It is not bound by the same laws as the Military.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9