• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Media Licenses Haruka Nogizaka's Secret, Sister Princess Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKVarana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Pretty surprised to hear the got Sister Princess Re Pure.

I wonder if it'll include the Re Pure Character's stuff as well?
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Picking up Re Pure! Thanks, Discotek.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Discotek will release Sister Princess and Sister Princess: Re Pure on separate Blu-ray Disc sets on June 26. The first season will have both English and Japanese audio tracks, while the second season will be subtitle-only.

What a weird thing. Did they have to get the dub to get the series at all? I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch it dubbed only to have to switch to JP for the 2nd season anyway- might as well keep it consistent and watch it in JP the entire time.

Double-checked FB. No news about Haruka's OVA Finale. Sad
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Quite surprised to see Haruka Nogizaka picked up at this point, although I'm honestly even more surprised that it wasn't picked up before. To my recollection it was the first series to feature a popular girl who was secretly an otaku.

Haven't rewatched the series in years, so its release would be a good excuse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm with @Key on this, never thought I'd see Haruka Nogizaka get a North America release. Will have to add it to the collection.

Mark Gosdin
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my best friend showed me Season 1 of Haruka like a decade ago, surprised to see it actually get a physical release now. Never got to see Season 2 so looking forward to it. Although IIRC I saw the show was on Crunchyroll, maybe Discotek figured that gave the show some extra exposure that would make it potentially worth releasing.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
One day it'll be Da Capo season 1, one day keep believing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
While I am happy "Haruka Nogizaka's Secret" is finally get the home video release treatment here, I was also hoping we could see/hear an official Eng. dub of it someday.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Really didn't care for RePure and I'm amused that it has been chosen to be brought over. Its in the bottom 10% of anime on ANN's encyclopedia according to Bayesian ranking and has only been seen by 400 viewers.

How about instead getting Minami-ke which has been seen by over 2500 viewers and is in the top 10% by the same metric?
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see Eat-Man & 98 get a SD Blu-ray release, there was a HD Blu-ray release in Japan but it was an upscale of composite DVD masters so I guess this will be a better option in comparison to releasing that same upscale here. Regardless, I never got to buy the two separate DVD sets so I'll just get this release instead.

Glad to see a Blu-ray for Bye Bye Lady Liberty and will pick that up as well. This news makes me a bit more hopeful that they'll go back and do the same with Mystery of Mamo soon.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
Discotek will release Sister Princess and Sister Princess: Re Pure on separate Blu-ray Disc sets on June 26. The first season will have both English and Japanese audio tracks, while the second season will be subtitle-only.

What a weird thing. Did they have to get the dub to get the series at all? I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch it dubbed only to have to switch to JP for the 2nd season anyway- might as well keep it consistent and watch it in JP the entire time.

Plenty of people prefer dubs, but will watch a subs if they're not available. Not that weird.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:

Plenty of people prefer dubs, but will watch a subs if they're not available. Not that weird.

I would be one of those people.

Really excited to get sister princess and upgrade the dvds. Also it saves me space. Now if rahxephon could get the same treatment.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Sister Princess...um, wow, I guess? I sincerely wish Discotek luck with the title, but after a decade or more I still feel the cringe. Except for little Aria--she just made we wonder what cloudcuckoolander dimension she got sucked out of... Shocked
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Sister Princess...um, wow, I guess? I sincerely wish Discotek luck with the title, but after a decade or more I still feel the cringe. Except for little Aria--she just made we wonder what cloudcuckoolander dimension she got sucked out of... Shocked

Didn't even care for Chikage? Pretty sure she's actually older than MC. Also fun note. Aria was actually Nana Mizuki's first big role if I remember right.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Interesting to see Eat-Man & 98 get a SD Blu-ray release, there was a HD Blu-ray release in Japan but it was an upscale of composite DVD masters so I guess this will be a better option in comparison to releasing that same upscale here. Regardless, I never got to buy the two separate DVD sets so I'll just get this release instead.

Glad to see a Blu-ray for Bye Bye Lady Liberty and will pick that up as well. This news makes me a bit more hopeful that they'll go back and do the same with Mystery of Mamo soon.

I'll continue to get Lupin III from Discotek as well.

I am surprised they DIDN'T release the Lupin III/Conan specials on Blu ray because they HAVE been released on Blu ray in Japan and Italy to my knowledge.
I think ALL of the Lupin III TV series through at least the second show WERE released on Blu ray in Japan as well. I would imagine Discotek hasn't released those on DVD because of licensing or cost issues. The Lupin III fanbase in North America has never been huge. The quality of those early TV seasons really wouldn't improve any at all on Blu ray to be honest, either. A lot of shows really won't benefit much from the upgrade because of the way they were designed and colored.
(I really can't recommend Series 1, either. It has a very deliberate, slow pace to it and I STILL haven't finished watching my copy! I much preferred Lupin III Series 2 which was licensed by Pioneer/Geneon and released by those guys for years before they gave up on it. You can still catch the dubbed episodes of Lupin III on streaming services. I think Hulu and/or Netflix still carry those episodes. I've found them very rewatchable.)
No plans from me to ever get Lupin III, Series 3 on home video. What I saw online when it was available to see for free didn't impress me. It's as "unusual" as Legend of Gold of Babylon. I know there are fans of the Italian style cartooning and things like Groo the Wanderer but it's a very eccentric style of drawing to say the least and doesn't have a lot of fans in the States. I think even Steve Ditko is more popular among Spider-Man and Doctor Strange fans! (And I LIKE Steve Ditko, still the best Spider-Man creator IMHO, but a lot of people don't care for the drawing style.)
I'd still get most of the newer Lupin III specials and films on Blu ray when and if they do get released. I have yet to get Island of Assassins on Blu ray yet (but have the older Funimation release of that special). I'm behind on about 4 of the DVDs and the Lupin III Part 2/Series 2 DVD sets. It's on my queque!
I'm getting Part IV on Blu ray ASAP even if it's the "dub-only" edition. I did enjoy the Pioneer dub cast. Pre-ordered already!
I'm hoping Lupin III: Fuma Conspiracy gets re-licensed in the future and re-released on Blu ray. I like that film better than Castle of Cagliostro but it seems to be the one that goes out of print all the time. I'm very glad I picked it up while it was still in print!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2