• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mononoke Sharing GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
In Japanese, Momi is simply "鬼"—an oni. Her attributes might be less well-defined simply because oni tend to have a greater variety in Japanese folklore than the other four mononoke represented in this story?

I don't know what to tell you about the boobs thing, though.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Neko-sensei! That was my best guess for what character was used, so it's nice to have that confirmed. I remember reading some years ago a Korean series, Land of the Silver Rain about two different types of dokebi (who seem fairly analogous to oni), so the variety of her source yokai makes sense.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is where the story loses some ground, because with one notable exception, “big boobs are funny” is an overdone gag, and with the wealth of human/Mononoke cohabitation experiences to draw from, it feels like a cheap one.

Well, this mangaka has a thing for 'breasts', go check out his other ongoing work Chichi Chichi. Smile (warning, that series is pretty nsfw...)
harminia

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why call Yooko a “fox spirit” instead of a “kitsune” but keep Mizuchi a “kappa?”

Is there actually an English substitute for Kappa? I mean, maybe Water Demon/Water Spirit or something... I tend to look at Kappa more as a name like Vampire etc, whereas Kitsune is kind of a broad concept and easily translatable...
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
I'm actually reading this right now. There were a few chuckles and a couple of heartwarming moments. All of the concerns with the manga that the article listed were ones that I had as well. I felt like the translation was really... messy? It reminded me of an old Tokyopop rewrite/translation.

I'm hoping that he elaborates a bit more on the other characters. I mostly bought this because I really enjoy Dragon Maid and I'm a sucker for Yokai. At least the presentation was really good!
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:21 am Reply with quote
SoL comedy and Youkai are always a good pairing and this one is among the best recent one, it reminds me of Ayakashiko, pretty much the same setting and characters.

I'm sure Cool kyoushinsha based this manga on Touhou, don't you have this Reimu's feeling with Yata ? Sensei where is Marisa !
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1