• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is wwwezo / Can't page back to articles

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
For the last week or two (?) if I access the Talkback from a News, Interest or Review article, I can't page back to the article I was reading. It just reloads the forum page. Apparently when I click on the "discuss in Forum" link at the bottom of such articles, instead of going directly to the forum, it drops in to an intermediary page (https://wwwezo.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=#######) that then auto-forwards to the forum. So I have to manually click the back button to drop down the list to bypass that page if I need to back up to remind myself what a review or item said, instead of just quickly back swiping. It's annoying, even if not apocalyptic. Is it necessary?

After a little digging, I see that you were trying to make this routing change back in Jan-March for security reasons, but I'm sure that it hasn't been an issue until just recently - did you wait this long to change it, or did something happen so that it's no longer invisible to the user? Is this related to the 500 errors Lynzee posted about? I'm wondering if fixing that caused this.

The other possibly related issue is that, before it changed so I couldn't backswipe to the article at all, doing so would take me back to the next article in the list (or the most recently posted one) instead of the one I came from. That's also pretty frustrating, but I guess not so much that I bothered to complain about it until now. Smile I've been putting up with that for a month or more.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I only noticed this happening starting today.

when I click on "discuss this in the forum" on news articles, the address starts with "wwwezo" instead of "www", for a split second, before it returns to "www". This is very suspicious, for one thing. Second, it seems to block me from using the "Back" feature on my browser. That's anti-user, if you did that intentionally. Regardless, when you do something that affects people's browsers you should inform them exactly what's going on. I searched "wwwezo" and got only one result from a few days ago where the person only mentioned it stopped them from going back. I'm more concerned with the fact that I can't find any information on what "wwwezo" is, exactly. What does it do? Does it ONLY stop people from going back? Does it do something else to my browser? Please be more transparent when you make changes to that site that affect the user end.

edit: I just confirmed it doesn't happen when clicking forum threads in the forum section itself. I'm only getting this when I click "discuss this in the forum" from the news pages
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
It also happens if you go to My ANN/Subscription settings. None of the other links in the bar trigger it.

And it also doesn't seem to trigger if you have 'fast' in the url.

I did notice it a few days back, though didn't think much of it at the time.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
^ Yep, this happens to me too.

And today for the first time since using my basic subscription service, which is supposed to remove all but the skin ads, I got hit with one of those hostile redirection ads while browsing on my phone. I know ANN and many other services had been battling those some time ago.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:31 am Reply with quote
Also, it seems to happen randomly as well; Clicking on the Märchen Mädchen article it flashed by in the url, however opening it subsequent times it didn't, nor when trying the other articles.

As it doesn't seem to behave consistently, what exactly is its function pertaining to the site?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Update: I haven't seen it happen today. But I did get hit by a re-direct ad when using my phone last night...not a fan of that.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for reporting this bug. wwwezo is one of our subdomains used only for internal routing purposes. A misconfiguration exposed it to users; comment links look like /cms/discuss/132192 which then redirects to the forum, but the redirect used the wrong subdomain. And then since wwwezo is not supposed to be exposed, there's a javascript redirect to www which caused the can't-go-back issue.

m(_ _)m

And redirect ads: yeah, we really hate them too. If only there was a simple way to figure where they come from. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1