• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Comico Ends Netojū no Susume/Recovery of an MMO Junkie Manga Due to Author's Health

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:09 am Reply with quote
Oof, that sucks.

Considering the situation with the anime, I'm sure a lot of us just want the manga to be officially available in English.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:31 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
Considering the situation with the anime, I'm sure a lot of us just want the manga to be officially available in English.

And just in case someone mistakes it, it was not the author but the director of the anime who was at the center of the controversy back then.

I did like the anime back then, but all things considered I doubt I'd watch it again. I too would like the manga licensed, but the fact it's a web manga in infinite scroll format might pose a few obstacles...
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:20 am Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:

You mean how it bombed? I'm not sure why they'd license the manga if the anime was a bomb, unless it somehow did much better over here than in Japan. It was a cute show, but given these developments I don't see the manga being licensed at all.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:33 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Blatch wrote:

You mean how it bombed? I'm not sure why they'd license the manga if the anime was a bomb, unless it somehow did much better over here than in Japan. It was a cute show, but given these developments I don't see the manga being licensed at all.
I'm pretty sure they're talking about how the director was openly antisemitic.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-02-09/recovery-of-an-mmo-junkie-director-causes-controversy-with-anti-semitic-tweets/.127409
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-02-19/signal.md-responds-to-recovery-of-an-mmo-junkie-director-anti-semitic-tweet-controversy/.127986
Slashman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:48 am Reply with quote
Would be nice to have another season of anime but...
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:34 am Reply with quote
I wonder how the manga's last chapter wrapped things up, if at all.

Still, a massive fan of the anime, and would like to see the story continue. But, if that's not possible, I'm happy with what I got.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:28 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
I'm pretty sure they're talking about how the director was openly antisemitic.

Yes. Regardless of what we think about the anime now and whether or not watching it is acceptable, the manga should always be pure. Wink
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
This is a sad news. I've been holding out hope that the artist's health would improve and the series would continue. As it is right now the manga will be concluding mid-arc, without anything resembling an ending. Crying or Very sad As controversial as the anime has become, it offered viewers a nice clean ending, so that's a small consolation.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:39 pm Reply with quote
A shame, I loved the story in the anime, would have been nice to see more.

Also a shame WHY it's ended. Always depressing when something bad happens to a mangaka.
asilenttree

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Dang. Does anyone know how much more of a story happened after the anime and what happens?
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:48 pm Reply with quote
That's disappointing, but it does make sense. I loved the anime and would love to read the manga at some point.
SkyLETV34

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
What a shame, I loved the anime. And why would people say they'd never see the anime again? The director's a big asshole, but what's he got to do with it? We're not even talking about him being a real Nazi.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
There is always the chance someday the manga-ka will get better and resume the manga months or years from now.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
SkyLETV34 wrote:
What a shame, I loved the anime. And why would people say they'd never see the anime again? The director's a big asshole, but what's he got to do with it? We're not even talking about him being a real Nazi.

The controversy wasn't really a controversy in Japan so I doubt it would really affected it getting another season considering there is only a handful of Jewish people in Japan. The fact it sold only an average of 1300 per volume is more damning. The series was even sold at a heavy discount of 2500 yen per disk, compared to the average 5000-6000 yen.

There doesn't seem to be any interest in the west for the manga either. The scanlations are only up to chapter 17 out of 87. Doesn't really look good for the future of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1