• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - In Memoriam: Hiroshi Kajiyama

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Losing two talented artists in the same month is just terrible. What's more terrible is the few Shining and Suikoden fans I've mentioned both tragic pieces of news to so far didn't seem phased or cared very much. What a world it's come to, where passing talent is shrugged off and given a mere "meh". I'm not saying you have to shed tears or attend their funerals, but some consideration for the people who drew for the games you loved playing so much would be nice to hear at least.

Granblue Fantasy: Granblue Fantasy mobile is certainly a major contender when it comes to crazy crossover collaborations (Detective Conan, a dead game series like Samurai Shodown, Slayers); I can say that much about it. It's certainly a shame it never got an international release, since the fanbase is clearly there and willing.

Last edited by belvadeer on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, didn't know that the artist of Suikoden V passed away as well. Suikdoden V was my close friend's favorite game. It was great times following the various stories of the franchise. I think I enjoyed V more than 3. Y'know how people love to pick those numbers. Favorites are 1, 2 and 5. Y'know the deal.

47. That hits way to close to home for me. How many can say that they've made as man accomplishments before they've reached those years. You only live once, make something great with the time you have.

I do remember the majority of these covers by Kajiyama, but I've never played those games.

Stuff like this makes me really sad, because there was always more that these people could give, but things happen. But it's not always sad as we celebrate these great people. They've still left their mark on people contributing to various mediums. They will be sorely missed but never forgotten.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Vegeta would really be able to win in a fight against Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Goku even with two others backing him up.

Hey if Goku could beat Jiren with Cyborg 17 & Frieza backing him up why not?
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Was Kajiyama the one who did artwork for Turn-A Gundam? The art on those DVDs looks kinda like some of the stuff pictured here.
Zero-chan
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Was Kajiyama the one who did artwork for Turn-A Gundam? The art on those DVDs looks kinda like some of the stuff pictured here.

That's Akira Yasuda, aka AKIMAN. Funnily enough, I just finished editing an interview with him that'll go live on ANN soonish!
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Zero-chan wrote:
Funnily enough, I just finished editing an interview with him that'll go live on ANN soonish!

Very Happy!!!!!! Looking forward to it!
Mhora

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for reminding us to drink water! People are literally dying all over the globe because of the heat these days. It's dreadful outside, and inside xP watch out folks!
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for detailed information on Hiroshi Kajiyama's art and career. I know not everyone out there reporting on this stuff can be an expert on all Japanese video game artists, but it has been a little upsetting to see some outlets not show his actual artwork, so I'm glad to see it done right.

Also, entirely accurate review of Sonic Mania's DLC as actual DLC. Only five dollars if you already have the game, but barely worth that. Yay, more bastard UFO stages...
kae kurono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:50 pm Reply with quote
That's Akira Yasuda, aka AKIMAN. Funnily enough, I just finished editing an interview with him that'll go live on ANN soonish![/quote]

well i'm glad to have more interviews on gundam coming, i'm more happy that this interview might have more info on peoples experience dealing with tomino.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Really am sad to hear about Kajiyama. I love Shining Force and its memorable cast, and I'm sad we never saw Kajiyama come back for another Shining game. (Sorry, folks, I dig Taka Tony's smut, but his sameface isn't all that good for mainstream games.)

In better news: I'm stoked to hear about a new Little Tail Bronx game! I'm a huge Solatorobo fan, and after all the love and care they put into that sadly-ignored title I'm super-down for a new game. Bring on the 100 commercials explaining how this new LTB game's world handles indoor plumbing!
Minjit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:58 am Reply with quote
Oh no...I've loved Hiroshi Kajiyama's art for ages and this was the first I'd heard of his passing. This breaks my heart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1