• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Captain Tsubasa Anime Enters Middle School Arc in October

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
Hyuga's supposed to be tall and brawny, granted, but here, he looks 24 rather than 15. And he's not always THAT angry. Seriously, this new version is worse than ROAD to 2002.
Titus-A

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:47 pm Reply with quote
This is the part of the series that bugged me. This is where the story was just unfair to Hyuga. The only player to have spoiler[beaten Tsubasa in a match in the entire series's run] and suddenly Tsubasa is way above him. This is where the rivalry should have been most fierce where instead of thespoiler[ 'Triple Victory', Hyuga wins a one year, Tsubasa wins another, and the 3rd year is the final confrontation]. Hyuga was at one point the best player and he didn't stop improving.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Titus-A wrote:
This is the part of the series that bugged me. This is where the story was just unfair to Hyuga. The only player to have spoiler[beaten Tsubasa in a match in the entire series's run] and suddenly Tsubasa is way above him. This is where the rivalry should have been most fierce where instead of thespoiler[ 'Triple Victory', Hyuga wins a one year, Tsubasa wins another, and the 3rd year is the final confrontation]. Hyuga was at one point the best player and he didn't stop improving.

Kira mentioned that Hyuga lost his edge, or better his fangs, since he joined Tôhô. Considering he got there after he lost to Tsubasa who also declined the offer to join their school, Hyuga was just the second best they've got. That and the playing mentality of Tôhô's trainer were probably factors why Hyuga couldn't beat his rivals for two years, whereas Tsubasa kept improving to finally meet Roberto's expectations. The middle school national tournament arc is still really good regardless. It gives us two reasons why we could care for either of them. Hyuga and Wakashimazu desperately needed to win that tournament at least once, and Tsubasa has to endure all those injuries that you can't help but root for him just for his sheer will to win in a third time in a row despite being physically being unable to under normal circumstances.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
Kira mentioned that Hyuga lost his edge, or better his fangs, since he joined Tôhô. Considering he got there after he lost to Tsubasa who also declined the offer to join their school, Hyuga was just the second best they've got. That and the playing mentality of Tôhô's trainer were probably factors why Hyuga couldn't beat his rivals for two years, whereas Tsubasa kept improving to finally meet Roberto's expectations. The middle school national tournament arc is still really good regardless. It gives us two reasons why we could care for either of them. Hyuga and Wakashimazu desperately needed to win that tournament at least once, and Tsubasa has to endure all those injuries that you can't help but root for him just for his sheer will to win in a third time in a row despite being physically being unable to under normal circumstances.

Kitadzume (Touhou's coach) was very detrimental to Hyuga, and he seemed constantly desperate. But it was also the time when Hyuga matured and became much more of a human, therefore, imperfect character, while Tsubasa is still a Gary Stu.
Titus-A

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
@MajinAkuma

I'm very well aware of the story, but I still wish they had gone for something more interesting. Hyuga was nerffed big time regardless of the reasons. He struggled against spoiler[an INJURED Tsubasa, he couldn't beat him, they instead used the 'shared victory' plot device] (which if it is real in Japanese Middle School football, is actually pretty silly. I'd assume they'd have spoiler[PK shootouts]).

It doesn't make sense how Nankatsu and Meiwa were more or less equal at their best until the injuries kicked in, Hyuga goes to a school renowned for it's football team (on a scholarship) and Wakashimazu and Takeshi go with him, only spoiler[to be beaten twice in a row by Nankatsu who not only lost their aces (Wakabayashi and Misaki) but also some teammates whose replacements were much less skilled].
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Titus: That's the Gary Stu syndrome. Tsubasa isn't meant to be defeated, according to the creator.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1