• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Fukkatsu no Lelouch Sequel Project Gets 'Important Announcement' on August 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote
I expect the announcement will be the form (TV series, movie, etc.) the sequel will take, and/or the premiere date.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:22 am Reply with quote
It's time for our Emperor to come back ! Cool
HikariGo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:41 am Reply with quote
210 seconds…. Such a weird way to state a video length, why not three and a half minutes?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
No mystery. They are announcing a 25 episodes tv series than will premiere on April 2019. I really, really hope they only do 2 cours. I love the original show, but those 50 episodes have too much unnecessary stuff; it should have been only 37-39 episodes long.
GeassedbyLelouch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
They are announcing a 25 episodes tv series than will premiere on April 2019.

Source?
How come you know more than the entire rest of the world?
Don't post your personal speculation as fact
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
GeassedbyLelouch wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
They are announcing a 25 episodes tv series than will premiere on April 2019.

Source?
How come you know more than the entire rest of the world?
Don't post your personal speculation as fact

It is my prediction. Nobody is getting hurt by it.
GeassedbyLelouch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
I hope to see a couple of things in this announcement:
- the confirmation of the sequel, whether it's going to be a season, OVAs, movies, etc
- a release date
- a dispelling of the mass confusion and large amount of disinformation in the fandom. Too many fans are unaware that Lelouch is officially confirmed to be truly dead. There are interviews, live commentaries, tweets, the official guide book, the remade epilogue from 2009 (https://streamable.com/d8dji), etc.
The disinformation in the English speaking part of the fandom is so large it could do actual damage. So many people still believe Lelouch has a code, whereas both the anime itself and Word of God contradict that. If these people see that Lelouch does, in fact, not have the code there will be a lot of anger, confusion and a potential dangerous backlash at the show and its staff for what they'll erroneously perceive as "betraying the original lore".
The sooner this disinformation in the fandom is dispelled, the better.
There's a large database of official statements on reddit which hopefully helps with dispelling the myth of an immortal Lelouch

edit: I'll copy one of the many examples from that database, the tweets from the show staff:

- "Before I started writing the story of a person called Lelouch, I confirmed with Taniguchi-director something. That thing was that THE END OF LELOUCH WILL BE DEATH."
- "At least he is aware of his sins and pays for them with HIS DEATH."
- "This man called Lelouch will pay for his sins by HIS DEATH. The story follows him till he finally make this decision."
- "Probably this Lelouch we see in the first episode of the series wouldn't CHOOSE DEATH. He would try something to avoid it. He couldn't DIE, for Nunnally as well. But we see him changed in the last episode."

You can find these tweets on his twitter here: https://twitter.com/ichirou_o/status/998739675895365633
A screenshot of the tweets: https://imgur.com/a/2dxGMFX
The translation of the tweets: https://imgur.com/a/HoF6xhX

Last edited by GeassedbyLelouch on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
GeassedbyLelouch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

It is my prediction. Nobody is getting hurt by it.

Predictions are fine, but make sure that you clearly state that they are your personal predictions or other people might misinterpret them as official facts.
That's how all the confusion started about the sequel being a full season (the format has still not been confirmed). Some people assumed that but stated it as if it was fact which led to a lot of disinformation, even in news outlets.
Saying that, big thank you to ANN for correctly describing the sequel as sequel and not as season or "R3"!
db999

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Cool, I'm rewatching the series right now, I just finished R2 episode 2, so I might schedule my watching of the show to end on the day the announcement is posted. I've also seen a lot of confusion on what this new project is so I'm posting my assumptions on what it is. Apparently, or at least I assume so, this new project isn’t a sequel to the 50 episode anime, but rather a sequel to the movie trilogy compilation, which as I understand it, has significantly changed several events that happened in the series itself. So I'm assuming that the events of the sequel might be incompatible with the ending of the TV series. I hope this is the case because if it is a sequel to the series and not the trilogy, all my interest in the project will vanish.
GeassedbyLelouch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
Apparently, or at least I assume so, this new project isn’t a sequel to the 50 episode anime, but rather a sequel to the movie trilogy compilation,

This is correct.
They clarified that during the events surrounding the release of the 3rd movie. That statement can now be read on the official Code Geass website www.geass.jp.
Later it was confirmed again in an interview

db999 wrote:
which as I understand it, has significantly changed several events that happened in the series itself. So I'm assuming that the events of the sequel might be incompatible with the ending of the TV series. I hope this is the case because if it is a sequel to the series and not the trilogy, all my interest in the project will vanish.

There's a bunch of minor changes which have no impact on the ending at all.
There's only 1 really big change and it doesn't involve the character most people will think.
spoiler[Shirley doesn't get attacked by Rolo and thus survives. This means she will appear in the sequel.]
That change is significant enough to break continuity with the original series and makes the movies and sequel an AU.
This change, however, does not directly impact the ending.
Kyjin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
My body is ready. Very Happy

Now I'm just waiting for Funimation to announce a release date for the films in North America. I was lucky enough to be in Japan for the first and third films releases (I saw the first one three times, the third one twice), and I'm excited to show them to my friends who haven't been able to see them yet. Plus I'm really enjoying all the new merchandise coming out...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
curtisd88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Now that it's confirmed that the sequel is to the compilation films, what will be seen as the true canon: The TV series or the films? Unless that question has been answered already.
GeassedbyLelouch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
curtisd88 wrote:
Now that it's confirmed that the sequel is to the compilation films, what will be seen as the true canon: The TV series or the films? Unless that question has been answered already.

Both are seen as their own separate canon.
One does not discredit the other, they exist next to each other.
anddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:46 am Reply with quote
Very excited for Lelouch's return. I'm expecting him to die for real this time.
GeassedbyLelouch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
Very excited for Lelouch's return. I'm expecting him to die for real this time.

He did die for real in R2.
The show staff have been hammering on that fact for 10 years. There are interviews, live commentaries, tweets, the official guide book, the remade epilogue from 2009 (https://streamable.com/d8dji), etc.

There's a large database of official statements on reddit which hopefully helps with dispelling the myth of an immortal Lelouch

I'll copy one of the many examples from that database, the tweets from the show staff:

- "Before I started writing the story of a person called Lelouch, I confirmed with Taniguchi-director something. That thing was that THE END OF LELOUCH WILL BE DEATH."
- "At least he is aware of his sins and pays for them with HIS DEATH."
- "This man called Lelouch will pay for his sins by HIS DEATH. The story follows him till he finally make this decision."
- "Probably this Lelouch we see in the first episode of the series wouldn't CHOOSE DEATH. He would try something to avoid it. He couldn't DIE, for Nunnally as well. But we see him changed in the last episode."

You can find these tweets on his twitter here: https://twitter.com/ichirou_o/status/998739675895365633
A screenshot of the tweets: https://imgur.com/a/2dxGMFX
The translation of the tweets: https://imgur.com/a/HoF6xhX
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1