• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Planet With?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neromon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
People praise the pacing for being economical, delivering tons of action while moving the plot forward speedily and still maintaining good character development, and I do agree in that sense the show is very well composed, but personally I'm finding it really hard to invest in it. I don't have time to care about any of what's happening before it's over and we're already into the next plot beat. I can't feel any dramatic weight or emotional impact. I still do enjoy the show as an action spectacle and find it interesting thematically, but I really hope the second half gives me more of what I'm looking for.
Bexarath

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:51 am Reply with quote
After the latest episode, this series has become my favorite of the season. A lot of it is tropes, but with enough of a twist to keep it fresh. I'm super stoked to see where the story goes from here.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:55 am Reply with quote
I just hope my theory that Soya needing to avoid meat for a significant reason bears fruit!

I loved Biscuit Hammer (& haven't given up hope that it will be adapted), but I'm finding this show jumpier. It has too many characters and hasn't given us enough time to connect with them beyond the "greatest desire" cliches. Hopefully, Act 2 will rectify that!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
This show reminds me a bit of FLCL. There's a lot going on. Most of it doesn't make a lot of sense at first glance (or sometimes at second glance, either). The protagonist sort of understands what's going on, but only when compared to the audience. There's a lot of humor, but then there's a bunch of somewhat more serious stuff. But mostly the way it just hums along at its own pace, and even if we don't really get it right now, *it* seems to know where it is going.

This is easily my favorite new series of the season.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:29 am Reply with quote
I wholeheartedly agree with the advice to read Spirit Circle. Knowing that the same person wrote this plot made me have faith from the start.
Daerian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
Looking at third manga of this author, Sengoku Youko:

spoiler[I wouldn't be surprised if second part will be about poking holes into Kuroi worldview with him as antagonist]
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeeeeeeeesssssss!!!!!!!!! I was waiting for a feature like this on Planet With!!!! I agree with everything, and especially wanted to thank Jacob for bringing up Super Sentai. It feels like this show is less a traditional super robot show but a lot closer to sentai shows that focus on monster of the week and different members of the team. It feels more obvious though when you listen to the score and sound direction/SFX... It sort of also fits with the playful barbs at otaku media like Jake said earlier, I think.

As for the direction of the show after this midpoint climax, I think the obvious direction is check in with the Galactic Federation (name check?) and what exactly the "choice" in evolution through love or power means for civilization, and tie it back to Soya's brother and home planet. I know Mizukami isn't the type of writer to drop his characters and forget about them too, so I'm waiting with baited breath for how team that Takashi assembled before will come back to the story... ALSO I can't believe no one mentioned how Generalissimo/Dog Sensei is voiced by god-damn NORIO WAKAMOTO!!! What a legend!

Everything about this show is exciting to me, and I'm so glad Mizukami is living his best life and storyboard/writing his own anime, sneaking in Anima and Samidare as lil figures in Sensei's house. I really want this to take off so his manga can get their own adaptations... But I'd still be happy with just cult status as long as we get a dubbed physical release over here
jtron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I did not realize sake one-cups counted as "energy drinks"
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying several shows this season, but I also count Planet With as my current favorite. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is one of my absolute favorite manga, and Spirit Circle was no slouch either; so I was pretty confident this show would turn out well. I think the show has done just enough to keep the side characters interesting while making sure Soya has been gradually developing and opening up as a person, even if his memories have been coming back rather abruptly. I'm very excited to see where the story is headed next.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
READ SPIRIT CIRCLE

This has been like my eternal mood since CR picked it up digitally. And now that it's available physically, I can probably yell at people to check it out from the library too!

Planet With is probably my favorite airing anime this season. It's so Mizukami in all the best possible ways. I'm a bit amazed that Mizukami is also storyboarding this though, since isn't he also drawing the concurrently running manga? (Or are does he just use his manga storyboards as anime storyboards? Can people do that?)

In other words, I want to know all about how this anime got made. Hopefully someone does an interview with Mizukami after all this is over!

Also, Sensei totally reminded me of Genbachirou (the giant bird) from Mizukami Satoshi's short story collection. I was just like, "Oh, of course he's doing a humanoid-esque cat with a cat-shaped spaceship." That initial image of Sensei, Ginko, and Souya sitting down for a meal is so iconic and so Mizukami. He introduced Genbachirou in exactly the same way! And didn't Genbachirou claim to be an alien...? OK, I'm calling it now: Genbachirou is going to appear in the next six episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1