• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Ghibli's Isao Takahata Would Have Made Modest Heroes Anime Short

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
After reading about how poorly he treated the people he worked with, I’m glad he didn’t.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
After reading about how poorly he treated the people he worked with, I’m glad he didn’t.

Seconded. I'm going to save my admiration for far better people
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
You're going to let ONE report decide whether you "admire" someone or not?

I have a rule about the recently deceased...
If they're a half-decent person according to what I've read from people who have NO REASON to have self-serving agendas, then you give them AT LEAST one year of respect before you start shitting all over them!

You obviously didn't read THIS article carefully.
There were people who worked on that anthology project who had TREMENDOUS respect for Takahata and his film accomplishments.

So, by your standards, everybody has to be a teddy bear and behave like a Disney theme park worker smiling at everyone 24/7?
Some of my WORST co-workers and classmates were the people who pretended to be everybody's best friend. They were many times the biggest hypocrites and backstabbers you ran across later!
I'd much rather be working with someone who was honest even if they were a curmudgeon to your face because at least they're not hiding themselves from you! A lot of those guys have more honor and integrity than the smiley face types!!!!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
-Snip-

1. The reason Suzuki's report was so shocking was because it was the first time we've heard of this. No one outside of Ghibli had any idea Takahata was abusive. As such, he was not "honest."

2. Being honest in abuse is still abuse and no level of that is respectable.
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
So, by your standards, everybody has to be a teddy bear and behave like a Disney theme park worker smiling at everyone 24/7?

I'm going to assume the best of you, which is that you're capable enough to realize this isn't even close to what anyone thinks, but decided to say that anyway, thinking it would help. It doesn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1