• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tomorrow's Joe: The Movie

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
Note - "No Game No Life Zero" will be available (Sub & Dub) on HIDIVE on Saturday, September 1, 2018 @ 11:30am CT
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
So I guess PONYCAN is giving the Region 1 market another try after being silent for a year? I think the Yuki Yuna Is A Hero set had been convention-only (I got mine at AX 2017, and BTW the title is "Complete Edition", not "Complete Collection"). As for Sound Euphonium 2, well, 6 episodes for $80 is more palatable than the old model of 4 episodes for $100, but the Right Stuf listing suggests it's pretty barebones rather than a collector's edition like the first season was, so PONYCAN is still gonna PONYCAN. My sympathies to anyone who wanted to own this show.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku is a 90s Anime I assume?
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
But will the 2nd Tomorrow's Joe movie be coming to US BD...?!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Is late August always such a fecund time for US physical releases? Today's list seems a multiple of its usual length, I notice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MadHi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Forget the historical significance, Joe is a brilliant series. It's one of my personal favorites. Despite how far animation has improved over time, great storytelling surpasses that. Saying AnJ (1970 series) is rough around the edges is being polite, the lines are thick and look like they're drawn from charcoal and yet still look sketchy instead of solid, the speed lines during punches stick out they look like they're inhabiting the same space and almost tangible to their surroundings.

But despite it's visual struggles, it was one of the most engaging anime I've seen. I would recommend it but sadly it's age, setting (time-wise) and obsolete look is a put off to most people, a common complaint towards older shows which I have always detested. It just bothers me when people put off old stuff just because they're old and only give the obvious exceptions a chance.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
obsolete look

I'd argue that the original Tomorrow's Joe still looks fresh to this day, and that's because very little, if anything at all, has been able to match this show's look. There have been tons of homages in the decades since, but even the best ones can't quite replicate what Dezaki & his team at Mushi Pro were able to produce back in the 70s.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Darn it, I thought Clear Card finally got a home release. Had me going for a minute there. XD

Quote:
This combined Blu-Ray and DVD release includes an English dub, but it's from an older release done by a company that apparently didn't have access to all the necessary audio tracks.

Who was in the dub for the Joe movie? There doesn't seem to be anyone listed for who did the English voices anywhere.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku is a 90s Anime I assume?

Yep!

Very much so.

The title character was played by Megumi Hayashibara (female Ranma of Ranma 1/2, Lina Inverse from Slayers) at the height of her popularity (1992-1993ish). The opening and closing theme songs were also sung by her. The character Arisa was also voiced Aya Hisakwa (Devil Hunter Yohko herself, the original Sailor Mercury/Ami Mizuno), who recently took over as the voice of Bulma in Dragon Ball Super after Bulma's original voice actor died late last year.

Solid OVA series. The original OVA was MUCH better than the Nuku Nuku Dash OVA or the All-Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuki that followed.

I'm guessing both series licensors (ADV, the original US licensor, and Discotek, the rescue licensor) were forced to pick up all of Nuku Nuku as a package.
Most people prefer the original OVA. It was a delightful little series (6 episodes) for its time.
The character is a bit girlier and higher-pitched than most roles Hayashibara does nowadays. Her current roles are more mature or tomboyish.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I've yet to see Ashita no Joe, but it's nice to know that it's story holds up even when the story of the first season is cut down to a theatrical release. I'd still prefer to just get into the series proper though.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:14 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I'm guessing both series licensors (ADV, the original US licensor, and Discotek, the rescue licensor) were forced to pick up all of Nuku Nuku as a package.
Most people prefer the original OVA. It was a delightful little series (6 episodes) for its time.
The character is a bit girlier and higher-pitched than most roles Hayashibara does nowadays. Her current roles are more mature or tomboyish.
I would still prefer to have everything included, even if I didn't like the rest of it.

Lime in Saber Marionette J was also very girly and high-pitched.
Rhys2753

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:05 pm Reply with quote
So, what about Mind Game for this week's releases?
https://www.amazon.com/Mind-Game-Bluray-Combo-Blu-ray/dp/B07CTYDS3M
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see PonyCan putting out a complete set for a more reasonable price. Still more than I would want to spend without any extras, but at least it's much closer to most other companies releases than their singles. Hopefully they do this for their other past releases.

I think I only have one of the Nuku releases (if any), so I might pick this release up Smile
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Nuku Nuku is cheaper on Blu ray than it was on DVD way back when but I still think the only part of it worth buying is the original 6-part OVA.

Nuku Nuku Dash is boring, period. It's utterly different than the original OVA and has a bland, alternate take on the character and storyline. The new character designs are also ugly. Nuku Nuku had a much cuter design in the original OVA series.

The Nuku Nuku TV series is basically a follow-up(?) to the OVA or fleshed-out retelling with inferior production values (that I can remember from the two volumes I bothered to watch on DVD. I just lost interest after volume 2 and never finished that series).

The original 6-part OVA is definitely a lot of fun.
Like Moldiver, it can easily be taken as a spoof/satire of American comic book conventions/tropes.
I think Nuku Nuku is a highlight in Hayashibara's voiceover career and she never did anything quite like this afterwards. People pretty much remember her for Ranma 1/2 or Slayers nowadays but she did a lot more than those two shows... Nuku Nuku kinda gets lost in the shuffle of her career. She's popped all over the place in just about every major anime franchise you can think of since the late 1980s including quite a few "character cameos" in anime features. She's done installments of Lupin III, Gundam (where she was the lead female character in Gundam 0080), Macross Plus (technician who had a brief affair with Isamu Dyson), and is a recurring character in Detective Conan.

Nuku Nuku was fine as a 6-part OVA and the rest of it was unnecessary...
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Is late August always such a fecund time for US physical releases? Today's list seems a multiple of its usual length, I notice.

I'd posit that with college starting up, lots of teens are suddenly finding themselves without adult supervision for the first time, which probably leads to at least some observable increase in spur-of-the-moment entertainment purchases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1