• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Expands by 1 More Hour With Boruto Premiere on September 29

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whis-pur

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh, 9pm nice!
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Not only we get the hours back, we start at 9 too. SWEET!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I love the fact that the Toonami block keeps expanding but I really hate how they moved Hunter X Hunter all the way to 1:30. Crying or Very sad
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
For the first time in a decade, we've got prime time Toonami, baby! Heck yeah!

Looks like the new schedule leans hard on Naruto and Dragon Ball as franchise anchors, but it also seems designed to play the long game for the block. Black Clover just got upgraded to an ongoing series, so it gets bumped up a half hour, while Hunter X Hunter (a better show but it only has around 40 episodes left) gets pushed back. My Hero Academia gets put on really early because it's expected to be a long-running franchise, as is Boruto, while DB Super, the highest-rated show on the block, gets pushed back slightly because it's entering its final storyline.

Basically, Toonami's trying to emphasize shows that are still likely to be running a year from now, which means the block is expecting to be around for a long time to come.
GMArcturus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:02 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
For the first time in a decade, we've got prime time Toonami, baby! Heck yeah!

Looks like the new schedule leans hard on Naruto and Dragon Ball as franchise anchors, but it also seems designed to play the long game for the block. Black Clover just got upgraded to an ongoing series, so it gets bumped up a half hour, while Hunter X Hunter (a better show but it only has around 40 episodes left) gets pushed back. My Hero Academia gets put on really early because it's expected to be a long-running franchise, as is Boruto, while DB Super, the highest-rated show on the block, gets pushed back slightly because it's entering its final storyline.

Basically, Toonami's trying to emphasize shows that are still likely to be running a year from now, which means the block is expecting to be around for a long time to come.

Yeah, but it's still extremely likely that there will be a new Dragon Ball series after the new Broly movie is done. I'm expecting that the new series will probably start on Toonami maybe a month or two after the english dub of DBS ends.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:37 am Reply with quote
GMArcturus wrote:

Yeah, but it's still extremely likely that there will be a new Dragon Ball series after the new Broly movie is done. I'm expecting that the new series will probably start on Toonami maybe a month or two after the english dub of DBS ends.

I'd say that's very likely, but there's no confirmation of that (as far as we know) so it makes sense for Toonami to prioritize shows that they know for sure are getting new episodes.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
So... they're just gonna spoil how Naruto Shippuden ends by airing Boruto at the same time? That's kinda dumb.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
So... they're just gonna spoil how Naruto Shippuden ends by airing Boruto at the same time? That's kinda dumb.

Shippuden is gonna end on Toonami in just around 5 years.

At this point there’s nothing to spoil, pretty much everyone already knows how Naruto ended.

Plus they did the same with Kai & Super back then.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:58 am Reply with quote
kamen_otaku81 wrote:
Not only we get the hours back, we start at 9 too. SWEET!
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:19 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I love the fact that the Toonami block keeps expanding but I really hate how they moved Hunter X Hunter all the way to 1:30. Crying or Very sad

To me it doesn't matter, I just watch Toonami shows on their site. After signing in through my cable provider I can watch episodes whenever I want and without commercials. So the time blocks mean nothing to me, digital streaming is so much better.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:56 am Reply with quote
So all the long-winded shounen have been pushed to the front of the lineup? What the hell? I thought this is what they were trying to avoid.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised they are leading off with reruns of Kai. I would have expected that they would start with a new episodes of Super. It seems to be doing well enough that they added another episode to weeknights to replace The Cleveland Show.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:43 am Reply with quote
HOT DAMN! Very Happy
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Toonami is expanding again, but yeah... not really happy with some of the placements. Mostly because I'm not too hyped on either Naruto or Boruto (maybe I'll change my mind on Boruto once I actually see some of it, though), so having them early on in the night as the "interruption" to the shows I really like to see is a little bit annoying. That, and if my husband is playing games like he usually does on Saturdays, I'll have to remind him to cut play early since Toonami starts at 8:00pm for us (although with Kai leading the block, we actually have until 8:30). But at least on the plus side, it's better than having to watch Naruto when I want to watch OPM and then go to bed, so I try to keep busy enough for 30 minutes so I don't end up falling asleep waiting for OPM, so it would be nice to have no interruptions to watching everything I want to see once we get past the Naruto block.

Eh, I know I'm picky. Anime hyper So probably a lot of this sounds like whining than anything else. Just glad that Toonami seems to be doing well enough to get an extra hour again. Although I do wonder when the expansion will be taken away. I know that's happened before: Toonami gets an expansion or two, then it gets reduced again.
UltScorpion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
Goddamn I hate this new schedule....

While I don't mind DBZ Kai returning, I'm annoyed that it's pushing back My Hero Academia which I find is a better frontrunner at this point. Also I don't want to watch The Buu Saga again even if that will be for a long damn while if they start with the saiyan saga again. I get that Toonami will be nothing without DBZ especially since they'll likely finish Super by the end of 2019, but this is kind of ridiculous.

I'm also annoyed that Shippuden is pushed back to near the front since it's going to be in filler hell until I'm in my 30s if Toonami even survives for that long when Shippuden somehow finally concludes around the early to mid 2020s. It makes me wonder if I should even give Boruto a chance after all.

And I hate how Hunter X Hunter is pushed back again to 1:30, not helped the fact that I have to get through Black Clover to get it which is also getting even more episodes. And before people say that Black Clover gets better, I gave it around 17 episodes before I gave up.

It's makes me wonder if I continue watching the block at this point since while I like rewatching DBZ Kai, My Hero Academia, and especially Diamond is Unbreakable (its also cool seeing them tweets from Jalen K Cassell each time its on). I swear that Hunter X Hunter is the only reason I'm sticking to the block and that ends in 2019 because FLCL 3 is just alright so far and I'm already farther in the manga with Attack On Titan S3 and Dragon Ball Super to care as much for them. Either way, I'm gonna be reading more comics and manga while waiting for the shows I actually want to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2