• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Super Mario Bros. U Gets Switch Version With 2 New Playable Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Nabbit and Peachette are a neat surprise!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of frustrated that I tracked down a Wii U a year or two ago only to see just about every game I snapped up for it re-released on the Switch later. Like, I know it makes all the sense in the world from a business standpoint, but it has to feel like a bit of a kick in the pants for the people who actually supported the former system.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:57 am Reply with quote
Breath of the Wild, NSMBU, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and even to a degree Smash Bros, since it seems like the same game only with more characters. That only leaves as exclusives; Super Mario 3D World, Project Zero/Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, The Wondeful 101 and... Star Fox Zero Rolling Eyes
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Breath of the Wild, NSMBU, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and even to a degree Smash Bros, since it seems like the same game only with more characters. That only leaves as exclusives; Super Mario 3D World, Project Zero/Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, The Wondeful 101 and... Star Fox Zero Rolling Eyes

How is Smash Bros. for Wii U not a Wii U exclusive? Ultimate is a sequel not a port. You also forgot the first Splatoon and Nintendo Land for Wii U exclusives. I would also be shocked if Xenoblade Chronicles X and The Wonderful 101 don't get ported to Switch eventually.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'm kind of frustrated that I tracked down a Wii U a year or two ago only to see just about every game I snapped up for it re-released on the Switch later. Like, I know it makes all the sense in the world from a business standpoint, but it has to feel like a bit of a kick in the pants for the people who actually supported the former system.

It's the nature of the beast. While I still love my Vita, it is hard to recommend one to anyone nowadays since they can play Gravity Rush 1, Tearaway, and Danganronpa 1 and 2 on PS4 as well. But I can't be mad those games got re-released, Vita didn't sell that well and PS4 absolutely killed it and hey it just means these great games can be checked out by even more people.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
That only leaves as exclusives; Super Mario 3D World, Project Zero/Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, The Wondeful 101 and... Star Fox Zero Rolling Eyes

I'm having a feeling that most (if not all) of those games will get Switch ports eventually.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:51 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:

How is Smash Bros. for Wii U not a Wii U exclusive?

How is a game that was also released on the 3DS "exclusive" to one platform?
myochan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I love these games, especially ones where I can play as Peach. Sadly, idk when I'll be able to get a Switch...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

How is Smash Bros. for Wii U not a Wii U exclusive? Ultimate is a sequel not a port. You also forgot the first Splatoon and Nintendo Land for Wii U exclusives. I would also be shocked if Xenoblade Chronicles X and The Wonderful 101 don't get ported to Switch eventually.
Cut me some slack I can not remember them all.

@OjaruFan2
Possible, but some would need a lot of reworking due to the Gamepad.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
At this point the only reason for me to keep my Wii U is for Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Maker,and Xenoblade X, and chances are those will be ported eventually
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
What about a Pikmin 3 port?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

It's the nature of the beast. While I still love my Vita, it is hard to recommend one to anyone nowadays since they can play Gravity Rush 1, Tearaway, and Danganronpa 1 and 2 on PS4 as well. But I can't be mad those games got re-released, Vita didn't sell that well and PS4 absolutely killed it and hey it just means these great games can be checked out by even more people.

Yeah, I know, and I'm glad more people will get to play some of these great games, but I still can't help but be bummed that Nintendo's marketing incompetence and some questionable back-end decisions doomed what was honestly a pretty cool piece of hardware. I picked up a refurbished one right around when the first news about the Switch was starting to break, and honestly what blew me away more than anything else was the humble little pack-in Nintendoland. It pulled off some amazing examples of asymmetric gameplay using the Gamepad, but unfortunately I don't think anything else ever took advantage of it to the same level. At least the Switch carries on something of its form factor, even if it can't pull off the dual-screen tricks that were a godsend in anything with an inventory.
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:07 am Reply with quote
Bowsette should be an unlockable character at this point.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
megazero wrote:
Bowsette should be an unlockable character at this point.

In what New Super Mario Bros U? (the game where you fight Bowser as the final boss?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1