• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online: Alicization (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote

Sword Art Online: Alicization (TV)

Genres: Action, Fantasy, Game, Sci-Fi

Plot Summary: "Where...am I...?" Before he knows it, Kirito has made a full-dive into an epic, fantasy-like virtual world. With only a murky recollection of what happened right before he logged in, he starts to wander around, searching for clues.

He comes upon an enormous, pitch dark tree (the Gigas Cedar), where he encounters a boy. "My name is Eugeo. Nice to meet you, Kirito." Although he is supposedly a resident of the virtual world – an NPC – the boy shows the same array of emotions as any human being.

As Kirito bonds with Eugeo, he continues to search for a way to log out of this world. Meanwhile, he remembers a certain memory deep down within him. He remembers racing through the mountains with Eugeo as a child... A memory that he should not have in the first place.

And in this memory, he sees someone other than Eugeo, a young blond girl. Her name is Alice. And it is a name that must never be forgotten... (Aniplex USA)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:04 am Reply with quote
1st episode is 1-hour special.

So Kirito is back...it's been awhile. I have to admit, some of the first few minutes of the episode were amusing.

There's actually quite a bit of focus on him by the looks of it along with two other characters that were introduced (Alice and Eugeo among them). Action wise, it was better than I had expected in terms of actual fighting.

The episode took enough time to show some tragedy content but will definitely need more time to flesh out the main story more. Really cool to see Sinon back! (my second fav character from the show). Gender bender Kirito is back too along with some of the other familiar characters. There's Asuna too of course and her relationship with Kirito is still the same as I remember.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
It's probably for the best that this week was a double-bill. To be honest, I had absolutely no idea what on earth was going on in that first episode. Only thing I could figure out was Kirito was in some kind of game world and the events which take place in that first episode serve both as the main driver for this adaptation and a mystery that has to be worked out over the course of the quarter or beyond.

It seems this adaptation takes place not long after the events of the second season. The second half brings viewers up to speed, but all of the fancy jargon isn't going to mean much besides telling us that the virtual world Kirito is now testing isn't quite the same as the stuff he and his mates have been using to date.

With that last encounter and the short animation which features afterwards, it looks like the stage is set for the rest of the series. The survivors of the assassin guild from the first season take centre stage once more by the looks of things. How all this connects to the "UnderWorld" featured in the first half remains to be seen though.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
GOOD GRIEF, HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO HANDLE ALL THIS DAMN CUTENESS IN ONE SEASON?

Between the child trio here, Kirito's bromance with Eugeo, KiritoxAsuna and the entirety of Boarding School Juliet, Japan's absolutely trying to kill us.

The OP IS AWESOME....but I already knew that from the teaser. Alice and Eugeo are really cute; I already care a lot about them, and yeah, it's always great to see the whole gang playing games together. Asuna's GGO outfit is cool. LOOKIT LITTLE SILICA USE THAT GUN. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Kind of looked like Kirito is not really sure what they are doing. Their dive technology creates a dream like second life. Kirito mentions that it makes him think of what Kayaba was interested in, and I can see that, he was clearly interested in creating a world separate from reality. Wondering whether the use of the machine could lead to total brainwashing of a second life, or perhaps more AI. Strangely did not see Yui in the episode, but I think there was a quick shot of YUNA in the ED or something, but don't know what that means.

Seeing everyone in GGO outfits was cool, but comments seem to push that this season won't have much more of that. Everything seems to push that Alice "lived", becoming some sort of warrior. Question is how Kirito could have lived, but thinking about it, perhaps the needle hit the implant, since he pointed to it being around the place he was hit.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Question is how Kirito could have lived, but thinking about it, perhaps the needle hit the implant, since he pointed to it being around the place he was hit.

If you really want to know.....

spoiler[His heart DOES stop and Asuna watches this on her app. (yes, that app exists so she can watch her boyfriend die.) The ER goes all out to get it going again. It's like the scene from freaking E.T. Because I'm a sadist, I'm really looking forward to this whole scenario in the next episode and if they cut it, I'll be so angry. Anime hyper]

*kidnaps shota version*

........why no, Officer, I haven't seen him.... Cool
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote

After last week's cliffhanger, Kirito now finds himself back in the Underworld. However his memory from the real world is largely intact and it seems his good friend Eugeo in last week's episode has completely forgotten about him. He even talked about the Alice incident as just himself and Alice, so his memory of the incident has been altered. Everyone in the town doesn't remember Kirito either. I don't know if it's something to do with the strange red flashing symbols in Eugeo's eyes back in last week's episode, but answers should hopefully be revealed over this adaptation.

Why are sword skills (which Kirito is well used to thanks to Aincrad and Yggdrasil) workable in the Underworld when the technology behind the virtual worlds is so different?

Back in the real world, what on earth has happened to Kirito after getting stabbed by the syringe?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Back in the real world, what on earth has happened to Kirito after getting stabbed by the syringe?

Hnnngh. They SHOULD have gone into that before he wakes up in the forest....but they didn't.

spoiler[A-1.

WHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Twisted Evil

It's in the novel....I guess we will get a flashback later....and Asuna will get to play her part as evidenced by the OP.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy the episode because I did; the best part was the tree getting the best of him. Laughing
I wished they hadn't cut the squeaky earthworm bit though. Yeah, when he wakes up, he finds a worm and it squeaks. Anime hyper It's cute so I am disappoint they cut it.]

{Edit:} Please use spoiler tags for source material. ~ Psycho 101
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:19 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
spoiler[I wished they hadn't cut the squeaky earthworm bit though. Yeah, when he wakes up, he finds a worm and it squeaks. Anime hyper It's cute so I am disappoint they cut it.]

spoiler[He must clearly be too traumatised to recall it. I suspect we will get a flashback of it when he is in a space that he can properly reflect on what he has been through. Razz]

The weird thing in the episode, to me, was that the people can't imagine the idea that someone might steal or lie. They are so afraid of the taboos, that it looks like they are missing aspects of freedom.

{Edit:} Use spoiler tags when discussing source material. ~ Psycho 101
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote

More world-building exposition, with some character development thrown in. Although most of the episode focuses on getting Kirito up to speed with the Under World and its gimmicks, the ending scene suggests there's going to be some long-overdue action since the pilot episode.

Eugeo has a point: Why is the Church so fixated on punishing transgressors of their Taboo Index when seemingly minor but dangerous threats like an unchecked goblin horde not get purged by Knights capable of fighting others on dragonback?

Unless my eyes deceive me, the blue rose blade this week should be the same thing the pair of protagonists are using in the OP animation. It's too heavy for them now, but if Kirito and Eugeo can increase their "item authority handling" level, then they'll get to use the weapons properly. A bit of a change from the traditional "strength" attribute of the Nervegear worlds, but the concept is fundamentally the same.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
What is with this season and goblins? I am guessing they will show up in Ace Attorney next.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
^LOL!!!

This arc was planned for a very long time and while I don't know the history of 'that other Goblin show', I'm just going to call it a coincidence. Anime hyper

(copy-paste from talkback thread)

Yeah, I am loving this pacing. It's relaxing when it needs to be and tense when it needs to be. I love the BGM too; it's perfect for RPG and makes me feel like I'm fishing in Zelda...or something. xD

It's nice to see the boys teaching each other things and Kirito having a heart-to-heart talk with a girl who is interested in someone else but I do feel bad for Selka because she's probably going to get her heart shattered; Eugeo is fixated on Alice. She's well aware of that though.

Kirito really IS a mature character; 'I f**ked up so I'm gonna take responsibility, bro'.

And....THAT SWORD IS GORGEOUS. MAY I HAVE ONE?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
^LOL!!!

This arc was planned for a very long time and while I don't know the history of 'that other Goblin show', I'm just going to call it a coincidence. Anime hyper

Early on there has been goblins playing a fairly large part in That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, as well as one that should not be surprised; Goblin Slayer. Not anime, but Critical Role also introduced Nott the Brave, a goblin girl, this year.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Looked like Asuna was the one going to great lengths to find Kirito this time.

If I am not wrongly identifying it, all the characters also put on the AR devices in the real world, which made up a good deal of the movie. Was wondering if that tech would be totally forgotten.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote

Another exposition, world-building and background revelation episode, but if this adaptation had skipped this week's content in particular some of the questions which were raised back in episode one would not have been answered for fans watching just this adaptation alone. Some of the minor background questions raised from way back in previous seasons were also given an airing and answered in a definitive fashion (Kikuoka's raison d'etre, Kayaba's girlfriend and what she did during the first season's events etc.)

As far as this season is concerned, Kirito actually figured out what his good friends were by the episode which aired two weeks ago. It's only now that the audience is given a full airing into the origins behind the "artificial fluctlights". One thing I've appreciated in this episode is the weaving in of the two approaches to artificial intelligence which are really going on right now. The bottom-up approach (which is being attempted now based on news reports but is way in its infancy) is the inspiration for the Project which gives this season its name.

Based on next week's episode title, it looks like the "real world" inhabited by Asuna and friends is going to take a back seat once more and viewers get to see Kirito progress through his adventure. One question raised in this episode itself might well be answered later down the line: if Kirito accomplishes his goal of reuniting with his friend Alice together with Eugeo, does that mean his brain is fully healed from the events in episode one? Brain damage isn't something which can be medically repaired given the description of this episode, so how does accomplishing the AI project help with regards to biological recovery?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5