• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Japanese Live-Action Death Note Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Does Funimation hate Ocean so much that they're going to straight up pretend that the first three movies weren't dubbed?
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Dont think I will double on the ones I already own, will buy the new one though. Sad its not going to be dubbed.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the Viz discs with the dub are going to go up in value.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I got the Viz ones and the anime. Makes me wonder if they lost the license or something for Funi to grab it.
Musk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Does Funimation hate Ocean so much that they're going to straight up pretend that the first three movies weren't dubbed?

Not entirely, Brian Drummond(SP?) voiced clone Vegeta in an episode of Dragon Ball Super and they released the Rock the Dragon collection with the Ocean Group dub on dvd a while back. This blows though glad I still have my Death Note movies on dvd. Might just buy the third one. Never bothered buying that L Change the World movie.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Musk wrote:
Primus wrote:

Not entirely, Brian Drummond(SP?) voiced clone Vegeta in an episode of Dragon Ball Super and they released the Rock the Dragon collection with the Ocean Group dub on dvd a while back. This blows though glad I still have my Death Note movies on dvd. Might just buy the third one. Never bothered buying that L Change the World movie.

Dragon Ball Super's dub is produced by Okratron 5000. Chris Sabat is the reason Drummond played Copy Vegeta. Even he's admitted that was more a lucky break than something you should expect to see more of in the future.

That 5-year-old DVD set was just old stuff Funimation paid to produce in the '90s. I think it's more telling that current Funimation won't even pay them to do a 2-hour Death Note movie.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I think it's more telling that current Funimation won't even pay them to do a 2-hour Death Note movie.

Or seconds of extended animation for Escaflowne which led to that crappy in-house redub.
Musk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Musk wrote:
Primus wrote:

Dragon Ball Super's dub is produced by Okratron 5000. Chris Sabat is the reason Drummond played Copy Vegeta. Even he's admitted that was more a lucky break than something you should expect to see more of in the future.

That 5-year-old DVD set was just old stuff Funimation paid to produce in the '90s. I think it's more telling that current Funimation won't even pay them to do a 2-hour Death Note movie.

Didn't Scott McNeil voice Hoenheim in the original Fullmetal Alchemist? I think that's one of the few times that Funimation hired an Oceandub cast member. Of course they didn't bother bringing him back for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood though.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why you're bringing up little voice actor cameos. Voice actors are freelancers. They can work for anybody. IIRC Scott McNeil actually recorded Hohenheim and his One Piece one-off at Funimation (or Okratron) while in Texas for local conventions. That's probably why he didn't show up Brotherhood. Funimation didn't pay Ocean for anything.

A better example would be Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail ... except that was more than 5 years ago now. Given current Funimation wouldn't even pay Ocean to do a 2-hour Death Note movie for them, there's no guarantee that if Roberta's Blood Trail was dubbed today it would reunite the original cast.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:59 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
A better example would be Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail ... except that was more than 5 years ago now. Given current Funimation wouldn't even pay Ocean to do a 2-hour Death Note movie for them, there's no guarantee that if Roberta's Blood Trail was dubbed today it would reunite the original cast.
It may come down to a bunch if different factors; how long is it, is it an OVA or TV show and how much do you people like the original cast.

And rather good timing, today at Anime Weekend Atlanta, Funimation are having a panel on Gintama, so we will get to see if they will continue dubbing it in Canada as CR were, or do it in-house.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:23 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It may come down to a bunch if different factors; how long is it, is it an OVA or TV show and how much do you people like the original cast.

Well people did like the Death Note cast, it's the same VAs as the anime (aside from Rem who got recast for The Last Name).

The only reason I can think of as to why FUNi wouldn't want to send Light Up The NEW World to Ocean is because aside from flashbacks, only one of the remaining characters returned for this so they could have pulled what they did with Shakugan no Shana 6 years ago (with perhaps less heat in comparison to that) by including the previous dubs for the first two films while dubbing the recent one in-house but neither is happening which is wrong and also odd because they usually do dub the live-action movies they get so what is their excuse for this?
LostTL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:53 am Reply with quote
Maybe there's some legal/license shenanigans at play? The UK/AU sets, even the BDs which came out years later, didn't include the dub, so maybe this was a rare case where the original studio didn't inherit the dubbed audio. I mean, it seems unlikely but none of the other three English releases including the dub seems equally odd.

I'm happy enough with my 2-disc UK DVDs (which came in Death Note styled digipacks and seem to have longer extras than the Viz sets), but it would have been nice to have the dub out of interest/completionism. I guess this means I can grab the Australian 'New World' BD without missing out on anything, right?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:04 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Well people did like the Death Note cast, it's the same VAs as the anime (aside from Rem who got recast for The Last Name).
I would not say that they are comparable, dubbing animation and dubbing live action actors is different. With animation you give it a new voice, with live action you're replacing the original actors speaking voice. If there was a new Death Note Anime and they either replaced the cast or didn't dub it, people would be pretty pissed, most people are not going to care about live action. So I can at least see why they are not bothering where with Black lagoon I think they would try.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
Since everyone else already covered the other things that are weird about this: why no L Change the World?
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Mew Berry wrote:
Since everyone else already covered the other things that are weird about this: why no L Change the World?

Beyond it being a spin-off that many people seem to write off (Viz never gave it a blu-ray release), I don't know--although I believe it to be underrated/appreciated.

Not only will I keep my Viz blu-ray bundle of the original two movies, but I may as well keep my Madman Australian blu-ray of Light up the New World, as I seriously doubt Funimation will include the 3-episode prequel mini-series that actually helped flesh out the movie's world and its characters. Having said that, whatever the shortcomings it's still great Funimation is putting these movies out again--the original two were a solid adaptation of the Anime and Shinsuke Sato delivered a genuinely exciting follow-up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2