• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Black Clover BD+DVD 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:32 am Reply with quote
It’s kinda weird they are selling the first 51 episodes in 5 parts of 10 episodes each instead of the standard 4 parts of 13 episodes each. And they’re not much cheaper as well. Still $55 retail each. I would think Funi/CR would price it a little better than $5.50 per episode for a generic shounen...
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
It’s kinda weird they are selling the first 51 episodes in 5 parts of 10 episodes each instead of the standard 4 parts of 13 episodes each. And they’re not much cheaper as well. Still $55 retail each. I would think Funi/CR would price it a little better than $5.50 per episode for a generic shounen...

It is an odd way to sell the series, but if you wait a couple months, the prices become more affordable.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Clover-Season-Part-Blu-ray/dp/B07D55MDBZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540832531&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=black+clover+anime&dpPl=1&dpID=515axb8u4YL&ref=plSrch

You can get part one for only $29.99, and part two at $39.99, which isn't too bad. Part three will cost a bit more if you want the collectors box to house all of season 1, but it'd look good on the shelf.

-Marc.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:31 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Japan has 5 sets of 10 ep as well. Also funimation might be required to sell it in this way due license contract.

but yea 10ep for that price is to much
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Black Clover really isn't bad per se as more that being so completely generic and playing every singe cliche in the Shonen Jump Fighting Series handbook so utterly straight to the point of obnoxiousness that just invites the series to be a punching bag for the section of anime fandom that either not very fond of Shonen Fighting series in general or wants more out of them then to repeat the basic tropes already made well known by the likes of Naruto and Fairy Tail. But for beginners to the genre or just new (and very young) anime viewers to the genre, it makes a good enough introduction.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

That's why they added something with all of their release. Part 1 and 2 come with a key chain. Part 3 comes with a collector box for all 5 parts. Part 4 comes with an art book and part 5 we don't know yet. Also BC has a LOT more extra content then the average FUNi release.

For a popular shonen I think it's pretty cool. I like the added stuff as fan personally.

If you don't want all the extra stuff, Amazon sells it for like 39.99

I don't see the point of the generic shonen comment though.

Zeino wrote:
Yeah, Black Clover really isn't bad per se as more that being so completely generic and playing every singe cliche in the Shonen Jump Fighting Series handbook so utterly straight to the point of obnoxiousness that just invites the series to be a punching bag for the section of anime fandom that either not very fond of Shonen Fighting series in general or wants more out of them then to repeat the basic tropes already made well known by the likes of Naruto and Fairy Tail. But for beginners to the genre or just new (and very young) anime viewers to the genre, it makes a good enough introduction.

I don't understand this comment. I don't fit into any of these categories. I'm a long time anime fan and shonen fan and I appreciate the series a lot. I'm definitely not the only one. Sounds pretty ignorant imo. As you just labelled the series with what the cool kids like to call BC. The series has a lot of charm to it and yes it does a lots of things well. The community is just very toxic about it

Last edited by GoldCrusader on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Btw to whoever edit reviews its Magna not Magnus.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Some years ago, I remember a writer from this site ranked Black Clover as one of the worst mangas of its year of release.
EDIT: Ah, here animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-07-25/best-and-worst-manga-of-2016-results-comic-con-international/.104673

I tried following the series but I never cared about it. Noted some tropes seen in other series but the execution is what actually matters.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Fortunately, Asta's voice gets better in later episodes.

What a pity that the BD edition doesn't incluse some animation improvements; it's one of the shows that would really need them!
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Zeino wrote:

I don't understand this comment. I don't fit into any of these categories. I'm a long time anime fan and shonen fan and I appreciate the series a lot. I'm definitely not the only one. Sounds pretty ignorant imo. As you just labelled the series with what the cool kids like to call BC. The series has a lot of charm to it and yes it does a lots of things well. The community is just very toxic about it

It’s simply a love it or hate it thing. The things the show does works for some people, but it doesn’t for others. It is pure generic shonen, that much is fact. Whether that’s what makes it work up to you. One man’s treasure is another man’s trash as they say, as simple as that. Granted it wouldn’t be so controversial if it wasn’t hyped to Hell as the next big thing despite the obvious pacing & animation issues its had since its inception.

Man these DVD packs are always so expensive. Only people with the real money to spend can get this stuff.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Fortunately, Asta's voice gets better in later episodes.

What a pity that the BD edition doesn't incluse some animation improvements; it's one of the shows that would really need them!

They are improvements. Part 1 didn't really need them, but they are some. If you search online you can easily find some screenshots.
tintor2 wrote:
Some years ago, I remember a writer from this site ranked Black Clover as one of the worst mangas of its year of release.
EDIT: Ah, here animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-07-25/best-and-worst-manga-of-2016-results-comic-con-international/.104673

I tried following the series but I never cared about it. Noted some tropes seen in other series but the execution is what actually matters.

This category is just dumb imo. It only antagonize the fanbase of the voted series and brings really unneeded toxicity in the community. I hope whoever does this vote every year removes it. It really brings nothing.
zztop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:16 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:

It’s simply a love it or hate it thing. The things the show does works for some people, but it doesn’t for others. It is pure generic shonen, that much is fact. Whether that’s what makes it work up to you. One man’s treasure is another man’s trash as they say, as simple as that. Granted it wouldn’t be so controversial if it wasn’t hyped to Hell as the next big thing despite the obvious pacing & animation issues its had since its inception.

Man these DVD packs are always so expensive. Only people with the real money to spend can get this stuff.

I'm aware Clover definitely works for the Japanese fandom; at least its manga followers anyway. I've heard Clover tends to rank from mid-to high-tier in Weekly Shounen Jump's table of contents (aka the unofficial series popularity benchmark, series at the front of the magazine are held to be more popular.)

Which is quite an achievement considering how ruthless WSJ's editors are with series rankings - for every new Clover or Haikyuu that rises, you get new 3-4 titles that get axed no matter how promising they were because they didn't get enough reader votes. And then you'd have to ensure the collected tankoubons sell too, lest WSJ cancels your title for being unprofitable.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:33 am Reply with quote
I'd say the review got it right that Black Clover seems to make being generic work for it. I've stuck with it, and now it is because I'm legitimately interested in seeing how the story unfolds. That said, I'm also willing to wait for some sort of cheaper release down the line because it never quite reaches the "gotta have it" mark for me. The biggest issue that I had with it early on is that the powers that be have tried so hard to make it a big deal with things like 51 episodes out of the gate and a game announced early on, and what I was seeing wasn't syncing with the resources going into it. Now though, I've come to enjoy it more since I'm expecting it to be competent but not anything that will wow me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1