• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Newest Cardcaptor Sakura Museum Asks: 'Why is CCS Being Rediscovered Now?'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Now I really want to go to this exhibit...and the responses by all these people are really touching. Thank you for all your magic, CCS.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
CCS brought me to anime as a kid. And re-watching it recently only made me cherish it mode. It is one of the best anime of all time, and it is truly progressive, specially for its time.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I went to the museum as well last Monday. Honestly, I don’t think this article did the exhibit much justice. There were both copy and original manga pages on display, and this article did t touch upon that. Seeing the original sketches of the power transfer sequence was really nice. I would have liked it if there were some actual cels or any artwork from the anime on display. Seeing as how they were showing the sequence of Sakura summoning her wand from Episode 40 in the check-out area, I don’t think that getting the rights to include the anime portion was an issue. Sadly, you could not take pictures of the artwork section of the museum, so maybe that’s why it wasn’t mentioned here.

I also ate at the cafe. Like most theme cafes, the drinks are super sweet. We were happy to see that the Kero dish included a couple pieces of takoyaki. Suppi beef curry was pretty good, although the beef looked like it just was an afterthought. If you’re just going to order one dish, the pudding dessert with Kero, Suppi and Momo was worth it.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
This looks to be a wonderful exhibit, but sadly something I cannot visit during it's run. Still I find the messages to be touching, especially the one coming from someone from Peru. I'm amaze her achievement was an expression of love for this series. Anime smile I also resonated with this line:

Quote:
"We need fantasies because all fantasies are prayers - prayers for the meaningless but valuable real world."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I went to the museum as well last Monday. Honestly, I don’t think this article did the exhibit much justice. There were both copy and original manga pages on display, and this article did t touch upon that. Seeing the original sketches of the power transfer sequence was really nice. I would have liked it if there were some actual cels or any artwork from the anime on display. Seeing as how they were showing the sequence of Sakura summoning her wand from Episode 40 in the check-out area, I don’t think that getting the rights to include the anime portion was an issue. Sadly, you could not take pictures of the artwork section of the museum, so maybe that’s why it wasn’t mentioned here.

I mentioned the manga art gallery in the first paragraph, but yeah photos were forbidden in that part.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, TECHNICALLY, the answer to the curator's question is that "Sailor Moon Crystal" sparked a revival for other 90's shojou shows to market their 20th Anniversaries, hoping that high-priced fan-collector perfume, jewelry and fashions would strike for them too.

And then, when grown-up single Japanese women in their late 20's rediscovered the show, and kids who weren't alive back then started watching it (both there and here, thanks to Crunchyroll), they discovered that one anime show from the mainstream 90's past wasn't a "Perverted cancer on our society, with its magical-girl heroine dangerously promoting pedophilia", and, in fact, was actually pretty darn cute and addictive and made with a little high CLAMP quality.

...Those of us who were around back then, watching it on the Purple VHS's, knew that already. Anime smile
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
The Mori exhibits I've been to were pretty great. Too bad I won't be in Japan while this one is going on =(
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:31 am Reply with quote
I'd like it if this exhibit were going abroad. I hope something like this goes to places like London,Paris,Sydney,New York,Chicago,you know places like that. I even hope something like this shows up where I live. I think it would be a great idea. What do you guys think?
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
(Insert Nelvana dub joke here)
Shiflan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
they discovered that one anime show from the mainstream 90's past wasn't a "Perverted cancer on our society, with its magical-girl heroine dangerously promoting pedophilia", and, in fact, was actually pretty darn cute and addictive and made with a little high CLAMP quality.

...Those of us who were around back then, watching it on the Purple VHS's, knew that already. Anime smile

You're not wrong about any of that. But what's ironic is that despite its cute, happy, and generally G-rated appearance, there is actually quite a lot of content in CCS which is actually fairly extreme, especially for the time it came out. I would argue that someone claiming it was "free from bad influences like pedophilia" wasn't paying very close attention.

Kim Morrissy wrote:
Yet there's also something a little more… intangible about Cardcaptor Sakura's enduring appeal. To quote the museum text: “Cardcaptor Sakura introduced new perspectives and twists to Japanese comics. Its gentle words mask the radical ideas that it actually offers and that is one of its qualities that its fans are rediscovering after over 20 years.”

That hits the nail on the head right there. (Emphasis mine).
Hellfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Can it honestly be said that CCS went away? Related art kept going out intermitently all this time. And Okay the influx of merchadise did slow down but I don't think it can be completely said that the franchise was forgoten enough to say it got "rediscovered".
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
they discovered that one anime show from the mainstream 90's past wasn't a "Perverted cancer on our society, with its magical-girl heroine dangerously promoting pedophilia", and, in fact, was actually pretty darn cute and addictive and made with a little high CLAMP quality.

You're not wrong about any of that. But what's ironic is that despite its cute, happy, and generally G-rated appearance, there is actually quite a lot of content in CCS which is actually fairly extreme, especially for the time it came out. I would argue that someone claiming it was "free from bad influences like pedophilia" wasn't paying very close attention.

Well, just saying that when they're not actually watching it and just talking about it in the newspapers, ANY anime show is now disingenuously seen as part of the Otaku Menace, which is "causing" the NEET plague, the job recession, and the low birthrate--
But that's not what they thought twenty years ago, when Sakura, Ranma, and Tenchi were showing on every afternoon TV. And what seemed like "What we watched as kids" (remember, responsible Japanese adults never try to "relive their childhood" like figure collectors do), now seems that the shows weren't all that bad, back when they had to sell just good universal, entertaining all-appeal shows to everybody, especially kids...And not just a few fanservice-pandered niche high-school kids late at night.

...Heck, why do you think we're on a sudden neurotic craze to revive old comfort-food 80's action shows and 90's sitcoms in the US, in our era thinks all TV has to be big-budget Emmy-fodder binge-blasts?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Sakura has always been one of my most important anime shows to me. I always loved the story and characters and beautiful animation and I've always been inspired by it's touching themes that really mean a lot to me as a gay anime fan who grew up with this show in my late high school years when I was starting to accept my sexuality. It makes me happy to know so many other fans around the world also found so much deep meaning in CCS. While CCS has always been beloved among anime fandom, I do think there was a period where a lot of fans lost interest in CLAMP after the mixed reception Tsubasa received and I think the Clear Card anime did revive a lot of nostalgic appreciation for CLAMP's classic works. It also helps CCS is now easier to watch now that the original is streaming on Crunchyroll so newer fans that didn't grow up with it can experience it for the first time. I've known quite a few friends who had never watched the original CCS before but started watching the original because of Clear Card. Thank you Frog-kun for attending this event and all the hard work you did on reporting this excellent article.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:20 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Well, just saying that when they're not actually watching it and just talking about it in the newspapers, ANY anime show is now disingenuously seen as part of the Otaku Menace, which is "causing" the NEET plague, the job recession, and the low birthrate--
But that's not what they thought twenty years ago, when Sakura, Ranma, and Tenchi were showing on every afternoon TV. And what seemed like "What we watched as kids" (remember, responsible Japanese adults never try to "relive their childhood" like figure collectors do), now seems that the shows weren't all that bad, back when they had to sell just good universal, entertaining all-appeal shows to everybody, especially kids...And not just a few fanservice-pandered niche high-school kids late at night.

The point I was trying to make is that CCS actually contains a remarkable amount of potentially objectionable content, which is why I think it's ironic that it gets used as an example of unusually wholesome anime here.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:

The point I was trying to make is that CCS actually contains a remarkable amount of potentially objectionable content, which is why I think it's ironic that it gets used as an example of unusually wholesome anime here.
Most CCS fans are quite capable of being critical of the more problematic content of the series while also praising the series for what it gets right at the same time. And for what it's worth, Mr. Terada and Rika's relationship seems to have been written out of Clear Card. Even in the original anime, their relationship was toned down significantly from the manga source material and it was more of a one sided crush in the anime that never went anywhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2